Is this Avanti Red?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Avanti Red?

I heard this was going on the block sateerday and wondered if the paint was Avanti Red?

It looks too orange to me, but I'm not an Avanti expert.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

No, but this is:

Originally posted by mapman View Post
      I heard this was going on the block sateerday and wondered if the paint was Avanti Red?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...n=7006&aid=466
      JDP Maryland

Comment

The first thing you notice about this Hot Rod's paint is that it does not even appear to be Metallic.

Then there is the color, not enough
        Maroon, just Red.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't forget that digital cameras don't always capture color accurately.

My Avanti red car looks plain red in the 2013 AOAI Avanti calendar. My bad for not having it set up correctly.
          However, IMHO, Avanti Red is a difficult color to capture, different light effects it greatly...
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

To: JDP,--I've always thought that the Strato-Vue mirrors look nicer mounted on the front fenders (as a '63 would have) as opposed to the door mounting location (as on this beautiful 'survivor' '64 Avanti.)

Comment

My Lark came with mirrors mounted on the doors like that, and you cannot see the right hand one from the driving position.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                To: JDP,--I've always thought that the Strato-Vue mirrors look nicer mounted on the front fenders (as a '63 would have) as opposed to the door mounting location (as on this beautiful 'survivor' '64 Avanti.)
                I prefer the look of John's mirrors mounted on the doors, but I'll bet he can't use the one mounted on the right. My Avanti Red '64 mirrors are on the fenders and are a pain to adjust. Some day my R-1 may look as nice as his, as they could be twins.
                sigpic
                Jack, in Montana

Comment

Different strokes, I can't stand the fender mirror location.

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Avanti red always looked washed out to me......too much like a can of tomato soup. Avanti maroon on the other hand.....
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      Avanti red always looked washed out to me......too much like a can of tomato soup. Avanti maroon on the other hand.....
                      You're correct about that.....'Avanti Red' on a vehicle that's out in the weather (sun) a lot, definitely didn't 'age' well. (In this age of basecoat/clearcoat....that probably wouldn't be true though.)

Comment

These are the paint supplier color sheets for Studebaker 1963 & 1964 years. The one with out a name is DuPont, the other is Rinshed-Mason as marked. The Avanti Red's are marked at the appropriate tags.
                        The Dupont code for Avanti Red is 7004-BE and the Rinshed code is P-6334.
                        Stude8
                        Attached Files

Comment

I like the door mounted mirrors much better on most cars. Fender mount mirrors just look out of place and it seems like they are too far away to be of any value.

Comment

I think you will find that the RM # is 63S53R, P-6334 is the Stude. #. All P- numbers are Studebaker numbers.

The RM is a way better chart, it even shows the late '63 Jet Thrust Lark/Hawk only; "Super Red" Studebaker P-6325.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Effie View Post
                              My Lark came with mirrors mounted on the doors like that, and you cannot see the right hand one from the driving position.
                              I believe thats why S.I. has come out with a different mirror (convex) yo fix that problem
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X