Weird weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird weather

Here it is...Thursday afternoon and I don't think we have had ten minutes of sunshine all week. Yesterday afternoon, I emptied my rain gauge showing 2 inches of rain. Today, it has already passed that and is still raining. Strange thing is that the weather radar shows the huge front moving from the southwest to northeast. However, most of the day, here on the surface, sheets of rain are moving exactly in the opposite direction.

As of 3:30 pm, the temperature is showing 46 degrees f. on the local weather channel. However, they are calling for rapid falling temperatures and the rain turning to freezing rain and snow to follow behind all the flood and land slide warnings currently in place.

Yesterday's puddles in the pasture have combined into a series of ponds. Ditches have become streams, and gully's have become raging torrents. While the winters are relatively mild compared to where lots of you guys live...we still get enough to make us look forward to spring.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Maybe you should start building an ark and gathering pairs of animals.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      Maybe you should start building an ark and gathering pairs of animals.
      Well...I have several watercraft of various types. However, living on the hill I do...I think I'm OK as long as I don't get careless. For example, not far from me, the Middle Tyger River is overflowing Mt. Lebanon Church road...think I'll stay away from there.

In fact...unless a big unseen voice instructs me to do otherwise...I'm staying put!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I agree, this is crazy. I left my roots in Oregon for this? If it freezes tonight as they predict I see a nice day tomorrow either huddled up watching recordings of Barrett Jackson or working on the Hawk - either way a great day ahead
        Dave Hugo
        Wellford, SC
        1940 Champion
        1950 Champion Coupe
        1955 President Coupe
        1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Comment

It went from 75 degree's to 48 degree's in 25 miles driving south of Columbia, SC this afternoon...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My wife and I are heading to Arizona in a few days to visit her parents and brother. They've had plant killing cold there while we've been more or less enjoying mild winter weather in the mid-Atlantic area. My sister-in-law contacted me today to let us know they have pineapples for us they picked before the cold could hurt them.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              It went from 75 degree's to 48 degree's in 25 miles driving south of Columbia, SC this afternoon...
              about the same here in Wilmington, NC - the cold-down started around 4pm. so much for the last 6 days of upper 60's to 70's.
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                My wife and I are heading to Arizona in a few days to visit her parents and brother. They've had plant killing cold there while we've been more or less enjoying mild winter weather in the mid-Atlantic area. My sister-in-law contacted me today to let us know they have pineapples for us they picked before the cold could hurt them.
                No joke there. I swear that someone swapped a typical Wash DC January day with us here in Bullhead City this past Monday. It was stupid cold here.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

It was in the 70s and sunny today in the Oregon cascades. Go figure....

Comment

Posted by jclary

In fact...unless a big unseen voice instructs me to do otherwise...I'm staying put!
                    Build an Ark!!!
                    Build an Ark!!!
                    Build an Ark!!!

I meant Lark !!! Never Mind

Comment

Karma.
                      (kidding of course)

Dean the dog lover.

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      Here it is...Thursday afternoon and I don't think we have had ten minutes of sunshine all week. Yesterday afternoon, I emptied my rain gauge showing 2 inches of rain. Today, it has already passed that and is still raining. Strange thing is that the weather radar shows the huge front moving from the southwest to northeast. However, most of the day, here on the surface, sheets of rain are moving exactly in the opposite direction.

As of 3:30 pm, the temperature is showing 46 degrees f. on the local weather channel. However, they are calling for rapid falling temperatures and the rain turning to freezing rain and snow to follow behind all the flood and land slide warnings currently in place.

Yesterday's puddles in the pasture have combined into a series of ponds. Ditches have become streams, and gully's have become raging torrents. While the winters are relatively mild compared to where lots of you guys live...we still get enough to make us look forward to spring.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        Build an Ark!!!
                        Build an Ark!!!
                        Build an Ark!!!

I already built a LARK! (But now...it needs to be built again)
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

last Saturday it was 65 degrees in Noblesville In. (20 miles north of Indy) Sunday, rained ALL day 3.10 inches, and the temps were just ABOVE freezing, Monday morning, they WERE below freezing. Hey, if you don't like the weather here in Indiana, just WAIT 5 minutes, as it can and will change! One day last November, (I think) I had the heater on in the am, by 6 pm I had the a/c on! There is NO need to find a cure for anything! as we're all gonna' die from the flu!

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Good news! Just saw the nightly weather on the news and they've cancelled the snow! (how compassionate of them). Now they are calling for only scattered flurries just north west of here. Predicting freezing temps in the morning and warning about "black ice" patches on the roads.

I might have to remember where I put those sunglasses tomorrow!
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                              Build an Ark!!!
                              Build an Ark!!!
                              Build an Ark!!!

I'll let it ride as far as what critters you put in it.

Dean the dog lover.

Ps.
                              Pit bull...Pit bull...Pit bull....pit bullPit bull...Pit bull...Pit bull....pit bullPit bull...Pit bull...Pit bull....pit bullPit bull...Pit bull...Pit bull....pit bullPit bull...Pit bull...Pit bull....pit bullPit bull...Pit bull...Pit bull....pit bullPit bull...Pit bull...Pit bull....pit bull

Get it...Ask a certain NFL quarterback.
                              Last edited by dean pearson; 01-17-2013, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X