1963 vs 1964-66 Reach Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 vs 1964-66 Reach Rod

Is there a difference between the steering reach rod on a 63 lark vs a 64-66 lark reach rod? My dad thinks they are exactly the same but the parts manual says different.

The reason I ask is because SASCO doesn't have any reach rods in stock for a 64-66.

Thanks

Steve

I've never noticed a difference. According to the book, even tho the part numbers are different, the lengths are the same.
    Looking further still at that section (1312) you'll notice that there's grease zerks listed for the 59 thru 63 cars, but not for the 64s! I'd bet that's the difference - the 64s have zerks that are integral with the rod ends.
    Rich, Mike?

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Biggs!

Steve

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I've never noticed a difference. According to the book, even tho the part numbers are different, the lengths are the same.
        Looking further still at that section (1312) you'll notice that there's grease zerks listed for the 59 thru 63 cars, but not for the 64s! I'd bet that's the difference - the 64s have zerks that are integral with the rod ends.
        Rich, Mike?

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        IIRC, the '64s used "permanently greased"<G> (or some similar term) tie rod ends and reach rods. They had a plastic plug inserted into the hole instead of the zerk. They were "supposed" to go a bunch of miles without needing to be regreased. I can't remember what the recommendation was, I am at work and don't have access to the Shop Manual.

I have used the reach rods interchangeably.....but I do install the zerks in the later ones before installation<G>.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I believe the 64-66 lark reach rod has a slight bend in it. Guess that makes the rod end work at a little less of an angle. They were working towards a better product right up to the end.

Comment

Working...
          X