PDA

View Full Version : Factory Tires Hamilton Plant

lube_sales
01-15-2013, 04:24 PM
I have a 1963 GT Hawk built in Hamilton late 62 and I was wondering if anyone knows what the make and model of tires the factory installed on my car when it left the plant? Size ? White walls? Anything I can find out would be great. Thanks in advance.

Stu Chapman
01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
I have a 1963 GT Hawk built in Hamilton late 62 and I was wondering if anyone knows what the make and model of tires the factory installed on my car when it left the plant? Size ? White walls? Anything I can find out would be great. Thanks in advance.

The primary line was Firestone but we also used Goodyear and Dunlop. If you acquire a build order from the Museum it should show the brand and size on it.
Stu Chapman

lube_sales
01-15-2013, 04:37 PM
The primary line was Firestone but we also used Goodyear and Dunlop. If you acquire a build order from the Museum it should show the brand and size on it.
Stu Chapman

Thanks Stu, I have the build sheet and it does not mention the brand of tire on it. Any other in sites would be appreciated.

62champ
01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks Stu, I have the build sheet and it does not mention the brand of tire on it. Any other in sites would be appreciated.

Tire size would be 6.70X15. If ordered with whitewalls - it was 1 inch wide.

http://www.cokertire.com/670-15-firestone-1-whitewall-tire.html#

And as Stu pointed out, there were multiple manufacturers used for tire. Wonder if Canadian law at the time required a certain percentage of tires would need to be Canadian sourced?

Stu Chapman
01-15-2013, 04:44 PM

I don't know what else to suggest. Sorry.
Stu Chapman

lube_sales
01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
taking a better look at the build sheet on the right "make of Tire " is not legible, it may be Firestone. On the left it states "1767 5 670x15 4 ply black Std does that mean black wall

2R5
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Probably a good chance it was Firestone because there was a Firestone plant in Hamilton.

lube_sales
01-15-2013, 05:01 PM
You GUYS have been a great help. Thanks Very much. With the link supplied to Coker I found a local distributor who can supply American Classic Radials with the same look and size. I can get the Firestone bias BUT I drive the car on the highway lots and I really do not like bias ply tires.
Again Thanks

BobPalma
01-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Point of interest, here.

Here is the spare tire in a very original, 23,000 mile 1964 Daytona Six sedan of Hamilton manufacture I've been nibbling on here for a year or so. It says Uniroyal Dominion on it. I asked Stu Chapman and others if they felt this was the OEM spare, having been manufactured in Canada as well. There seems to be no doubt that it is:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF1938_zps71b7c722.jpg

2moredoors
01-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Point of interest, here.

Here is the spare tire in a very original, 23,000 mile 1964 Daytona Six sedan of Hamilton manufacture if been nibbling on here for a year or so. It says Uniroyal Dominion on it. I asked Stu Chapman and others if they felt this was the OEM spare, having been manufactured in Canada as well. There seems to be no doubt that it is:]
Dominion Royal were used as OEM tires on many new Canadian built cars. The more expensive cars used "Dominion Royal Masters" I believe that Dominion Royal was the Canadian equivalent to Uniroyal in the USA. GM used Dominion Royals on their Canadian built cars so I see no reason why Studebaker would not use them too, however as 2R5 stated there was a Firestone manufacturing plant in Hamilton at the time Studebaker built cars so Firestone was probably used more often.

BobPalma
01-16-2013, 09:43 AM
'Good, Cliff; thanks for the additional information. I can't imagine there are very many of those tires surviving here in the 'States 40 years after they were "imported" with Hamilton-built cars.

I hope to buy that Daytona Six sedan some day and if so, will carefully preserve that OEM spare. :!: BP

8E45E
02-14-2013, 07:37 AM
'Good, Cliff; thanks for the additional information. I can't imagine there are very many of those tires surviving here in the 'States 40 years after they were "imported" with Hamilton-built cars.

I hope to buy that Daytona Six sedan some day and if so, will carefully preserve that OEM spare.

Bob, is that "Canada only" six-cylinder Daytona still on your radar now that you've found a Wagaonaire?

Craig

BobPalma
02-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Bob, is that "Canada only" six-cylinder Daytona still on your radar now that you've found a Wagaonaire? Craig

Yes, Craig; I'd always consider an upgrade to any of the four Daytonas I own. The sedan is the poorest of my four cars, although it's "OK," but I'd consider this Daytona Six if I could buy it, because it would then become the nicest of the four! (I confess that I haven't followed up on it for almost a year; 'better get 'crackin' on that, I suppose.) ;) BP

02-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Point of interest, here.

Here is the spare tire in a very original, 23,000 mile 1964 Daytona Six sedan of Hamilton manufacture I've been nibbling on here for a year or so. It says Uniroyal Dominion on it. I asked Stu Chapman and others if they felt this was the OEM spare, having been manufactured in Canada as well. There seems to be no doubt that it is:
Interesting. I think in those days the U.S. versions were still called U S Royal. One of my "wiser" (not) investments was buying a bunch of NOS tires from a former Studebaker dealer. I believe most of the NOS tires were "take-offs" where the new car buyer wanted something else. Unfortunately a bunch of them were recaps. Among the tires was a set of five U S Royal Safety 800s, size 6.50x15, narrow stripe. However, the predominant brand was Firestone.
The build sheet for my Wagonaire doesn't specify brand either though the dealer order called for Firestone 500 whitewalls. The build sheet does show a number, 1137. Maybe that identifies the tire manufacturer.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Production%20orders/Build%20Sheet.jpg

ddub
02-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi jack warning.

I'm wondering about the width of whitewall for a 63 Avanti. Post #4 above says 1". In looking at period pictures the whitewall looks wider. Does anyone have definite knowledge or documentation?

StudeRich
02-14-2013, 12:02 PM
That is an interesting Production order Paul. Thanks for posting it.
Of note is the 2085 "Lock", when this was discussed before, what did we decide it was? A locking Gas Cap?
Rear Door Childproof Door Locks?

The other odd thing is "Omit Seat Belts"? By 1964 it would have been illegal in import the car to the U.S. without them right?
Maybe as long as it was "Delivered" with them installed by the Dealer it would be legal? :confused:

Definately a well ordered Car, I wonder who would do that, Lol! :D

BobPalma
02-14-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm wondering about the width of whitewall for a 63 Avanti. Post #4 above says 1". In looking at period pictures the whitewall looks wider. Does anyone have definite knowledge or documentation?

Don, my 1964 convertible has correct-reproduction 6.70X15 tires.

The whitewall width is exactly 1".

I will go on record as saying 1" is the "correct" whitewall width for OEM 1963 Avanti whitewall tires. :) BP

StudeRich
02-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi jack warning.

Avantis were quite narrow the same as Larks in Production, including the often ordered on Avanti optional premium Firestone "500" Tires. I never pay any attention to the pre-production Photos on Brochures etc.

Early '63 Larks and Hawks even had Firestone narrow whites that went all the way to the rim, no Black stripe, really ugly, good thing they did not stay in Production long.

ddub
02-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks Bob and Rich. The circa 1988 whitewalls on my 63 are 1 3/8" and I want to get a correct replacement.

8E45E
02-14-2013, 01:06 PM
The build sheet does show a number, 1137. Maybe that identifies the tire manufacturer.

Paul, I believe that Build Sheet you have is an 'old' transcripted one from Newman & Altman days. The 'new' copies from the museum are a direct photocopy of it. Hamiton cars will have the tire manufacturer scribbled (and I mean scribbled on it.

Craig

studegary
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
The other odd thing is "Omit Seat Belts"? By 1964 it would have been illegal in import the car to the U.S. without them right?
Maybe as long as it was "Delivered" with them installed by the Dealer it would be legal? :confused:

IIRC, January 1, 1965 is when seat belts became a legal requirement. Of course, they were a common option prior to that.

JBOYLE
02-14-2013, 04:38 PM
The circa 1988 whitewalls on my 63 are 1 3/8" and I want to get a correct replacement.

When I was in the market a couple of years ago, I found that American Clasics had the correct 1" width..but at a price. I ended up with 3/4" WWs from Cooper for about 1/3rd the price. I can't tell the 1/4" difference from any distance.

02-14-2013, 05:18 PM
That is an interesting Production order Paul. Thanks for posting it.
Of note is the 2085 "Lock", when this was discussed before, what did we decide it was? A locking Gas Cap?
Rear Door Childproof Door Locks?

I don't know what that lock means either. I got a locking cap years later and child-proof locks much later too.
Even with all the factory and dealer-installed stuff (Hill Holder, Studebaker AC and a right headrest) I was still a CASO at heart. I wanted to install my own seat belts, mirrors, floor mats and some other odds and ends. Notice I didn't order power steering? The '61 Cruiser steered easily without, the wagon was another story so it get power steering several years later thanks to a donor '64 Daytona in a junk yard in Hayward.

StudeRich
02-14-2013, 07:48 PM
So if you saved the original slow Steering Gear it has the easiest ever steering, almost as little road feel as Chrysler full time P/S ?

02-14-2013, 08:43 PM
So if you saved the original slow Steering Gear it has the easiest ever steering, almost as little road feel as Chrysler full time P/S ?
You got that right- probably five turns lock to lock. Even then, without power, it was hard to turn especially for my wife. I've had a set of short steering arms for a long time (takes me a while to get things done).

Swifster
05-30-2013, 11:26 AM
My '64 Commander built in Hamilton in September had seat belt delete. I could be wrong, but I think front seat belts were standard from 1963. You didn't order seat belts, you deleted them.