Factory Tires Hamilton Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Tires Hamilton Plant

I have a 1963 GT Hawk built in Hamilton late 62 and I was wondering if anyone knows what the make and model of tires the factory installed on my car when it left the plant? Size ? White walls? Anything I can find out would be great. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by lube_sales View Post
    I have a 1963 GT Hawk built in Hamilton late 62 and I was wondering if anyone knows what the make and model of tires the factory installed on my car when it left the plant? Size ? White walls? Anything I can find out would be great. Thanks in advance.
    The primary line was Firestone but we also used Goodyear and Dunlop. If you acquire a build order from the Museum it should show the brand and size on it.
    Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
      The primary line was Firestone but we also used Goodyear and Dunlop. If you acquire a build order from the Museum it should show the brand and size on it.
      Stu Chapman
      Thanks Stu, I have the build sheet and it does not mention the brand of tire on it. Any other in sites would be appreciated.

Comment

Thanks Stu, I have the build sheet and it does not mention the brand of tire on it. Any other in sites would be appreciated.
        Tire size would be 6.70X15. If ordered with whitewalls - it was 1 inch wide.

These classic tires feature vintage Firestone pie crust styling and authentic tread design. They're built in original molds using modern materials right here in the USA! This popular Firestone bias ply pie crust narrow whitewall is also available in other select vintage tire sizes.

And as Stu pointed out, there were multiple manufacturers used for tire. Wonder if Canadian law at the time required a certain percentage of tires would need to be Canadian sourced?
        Last edited by 62champ; 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I don't know what else to suggest. Sorry.
          Stu Chapman

Comment

taking a better look at the build sheet on the right "make of Tire " is not legible, it may be Firestone. On the left it states "1767 5 670x15 4 ply black Std does that mean black wall

Comment

Probably a good chance it was Firestone because there was a Firestone plant in Hamilton.
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

You GUYS have been a great help. Thanks Very much. With the link supplied to Coker I found a local distributor who can supply American Classic Radials with the same look and size. I can get the Firestone bias BUT I drive the car on the highway lots and I really do not like bias ply tires.
                Again Thanks

Comment

Point of interest, here.

Here is the spare tire in a very original, 23,000 mile 1964 Daytona Six sedan of Hamilton manufacture I've been nibbling on here for a year or so. It says Uniroyal Dominion on it. I asked Stu Chapman and others if they felt this was the OEM spare, having been manufactured in Canada as well. There seems to be no doubt that it is:

Last edited by BobPalma; 02-14-2013, 05:49 AM. Reason: spelling
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Point of interest, here.

Here is the spare tire in a very original, 23,000 mile 1964 Daytona Six sedan of Hamilton manufacture if been nibbling on here for a year or so. It says Uniroyal Dominion on it. I asked Stu Chapman and others if they felt this was the OEM spare, having been manufactured in Canada as well. There seems to be no doubt that it is:]
                    Dominion Royal were used as OEM tires on many new Canadian built cars. The more expensive cars used "Dominion Royal Masters" I believe that Dominion Royal was the Canadian equivalent to Uniroyal in the USA. GM used Dominion Royals on their Canadian built cars so I see no reason why Studebaker would not use them too, however as 2R5 stated there was a Firestone manufacturing plant in Hamilton at the time Studebaker built cars so Firestone was probably used more often.
                    sigpic
                    55 President Deluxe
                    64 Commander
                    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

'Good, Cliff; thanks for the additional information. I can't imagine there are very many of those tires surviving here in the 'States 40 years after they were "imported" with Hamilton-built cars.

I hope to buy that Daytona Six sedan some day and if so, will carefully preserve that OEM spare. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Good, Cliff; thanks for the additional information. I can't imagine there are very many of those tires surviving here in the 'States 40 years after they were "imported" with Hamilton-built cars.

I hope to buy that Daytona Six sedan some day and if so, will carefully preserve that OEM spare.
                        Bob, is that "Canada only" six-cylinder Daytona still on your radar now that you've found a Wagaonaire?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Bob, is that "Canada only" six-cylinder Daytona still on your radar now that you've found a Wagaonaire? Craig
                          Yes, Craig; I'd always consider an upgrade to any of the four Daytonas I own. The sedan is the poorest of my four cars, although it's "OK," but I'd consider this Daytona Six if I could buy it, because it would then become the nicest of the four! (I confess that I haven't followed up on it for almost a year; 'better get 'crackin' on that, I suppose.) BP

Comment

Point of interest, here.

Here is the spare tire in a very original, 23,000 mile 1964 Daytona Six sedan of Hamilton manufacture I've been nibbling on here for a year or so. It says Uniroyal Dominion on it. I asked Stu Chapman and others if they felt this was the OEM spare, having been manufactured in Canada as well. There seems to be no doubt that it is:
                            Interesting. I think in those days the U.S. versions were still called U S Royal. One of my "wiser" (not) investments was buying a bunch of NOS tires from a former Studebaker dealer. I believe most of the NOS tires were "take-offs" where the new car buyer wanted something else. Unfortunately a bunch of them were recaps. Among the tires was a set of five U S Royal Safety 800s, size 6.50x15, narrow stripe. However, the predominant brand was Firestone.
                            The build sheet for my Wagonaire doesn't specify brand either though the dealer order called for Firestone 500 whitewalls. The build sheet does show a number, 1137. Maybe that identifies the tire manufacturer.

Last edited by 53k; 02-14-2013, 07:56 AM.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Hi jack warning.

I'm wondering about the width of whitewall for a 63 Avanti. Post #4 above says 1". In looking at period pictures the whitewall looks wider. Does anyone have definite knowledge or documentation?
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...