Blacksmith shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacksmith shop

The corner of Jefferson and Michigan Streets in South Bend, which was the site of the original Studebaker blacksmith shop is currently an empty lot that the S.B. Rredevelopment Commission recently appropriated more than $295,000 to construct a small park like plaza. Couldn't they build a really nice replica of the original shop with that amount of money as a shrine to what was once the largest manufacturer of vehicles in the world and a boost to tourism. The 2012 International meet here definitely proved there is still a huge following of Studebaker.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Oh wait!....did you check?...Might already be an "APP" for that! Just download it to your smart phone or tablet. Instant park and shrine!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I suspect they would not be willing to build a structure. That would call in to play its maintenance and security and, maybe even re-enactors to demonstrate the operation of the forge and anvil. Just don't see it happening.

The erection of a nice monument with bronze plaque to commemorate the sites significance should be considered a no-brainer. The Keystone Region Chapter so marked the site where John Clement Studebaker left his first shop in Adams County, PA and directed the family west to Ohio and then South Bend. That was dedicated over thirty-two years ago.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I thought there WAS a plaque on that corner already.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
          I thought there WAS a plaque on that corner already.
          I think someone stole it. It was gone before the international. Besides I think this historic site deserves more than a little plaque on a rock.

Comment

Thought Wells Fargo already owned that southwest corner of Jefferson & Michigan Streets. Too bad the Studebaker BrothersWell Fargo franchise on the northwest corner.

Comment

That would be cool to rebuild the blacksmith shop. Well, my tool belt is out in the Jeep and I just refilled my chalk line, lets build it Tim!!
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                That would be cool to rebuild the blacksmith shop. Well, my tool belt is out in the Jeep and I just refilled my chalk line, lets build it Tim!!
                I think we could do it Chris.

Comment

I can donate a few square nails... I only have a few!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                    I can donate a few square nails... I only have a few!
                    Offer accepted.

Comment

You could borrow or duplicate this exhibit at the museum...however, if theives stole a historic sign from the sight...you'd have to keep armed guards around the clock for this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	southbend 5-2-09 037.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1678524
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                      X