t-5 or f150 five speed ford transmission swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: t-5 or f150 five speed ford transmission swap

I was talking to a friend locally about putting a ford f150 five speed behind the studey 259 for my 39 CE project. He said he had heard about a fellow in Ohio who had swapped a ford T-5 (I believe it was) into his Studey. My friend believes it was a relatively simple swap and that the ford truck swap would be very similar.

I just searched for any threads about such a swap but did not have much luck.

Anybody know about such a swap?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Yes, it is a well known swap:

Here's a good thread on another site about selecting the right T-5:

Some real world examples can be found here:

Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I`m confused here...did F-150`s come from the factory with T-5`s? I would have presumed they came with a heavier-duty transmission than a T-5 and that first gear would have been next-to-useless-on-the-street granny gear. Waiting to find out...Junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I don't know if my transmission is called a T-5 or not but it came from a ford f150 about nintey something for the year and it has a fairly low first gear and a 25% od. the first would not qualify as a granny but is low enough to make a fairly tall diff work.

And my question is whether the truck tranny fits up the same as the T-5 or not.

I am sorry my title to my thread now looks confusing...as if my tranny is the same as the t-5.

Comment

Ah, I'm thinking that transmission is the M50D R2. It is made by Mazda. Since it has an integral bellhousing, I'm not sure it would be desirable for the swap.

Perhaps a picture of the one you have?
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
            I don't know if my transmission is called a T-5 or not but it came from a ford f150 about nintey something for the year and it has a fairly low first gear and a 25% od. the first would not qualify as a granny but is low enough to make a fairly tall diff work.

And my question is whether the truck tranny fits up the same as the T-5 or not.

I am sorry my title to my thread now looks confusing...as if my tranny is the same as the t-5.
            Most '88-08 F-150's have the Mazda M5OD-R2 transmission. The M5OD is unusual in that it is fully synchronized on all gears, including reverse. The transmission has an integral bellhousing, so I wonder if that's really the tranny you have. Could yours be earlier than '88?

are the gear ratios.

jack vines
            Last edited by PackardV8; 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM.
            PackardV8

Comment

Hi, I believe you are right.

Ford M5 OD R-2

Though I thought it had a 25% OD. I'll have to drag it out and take some pics of it.

Comment

The 5spd in my '04 F150 is relatively physically huge compared to the T-5 in my '85 thunderbird turbocoupe. It also shifts more like a truck... I wasn't aware it had integral bell, but there's not been a reason to have it out of the truck. My truck has the 4.2L V6 and I think those had the same bolt pattern as the 302 V8 and perhaps 4.6L V8.

As for gearing, 1st is pretty slow but not so slow that with 3.55 rearend you would want to start in 2nd unless going downhill w/o a load. Although, starting a loaded trailer moving when parked facing uphill is not good for the clutch!

My '87 Ranger also was a 5spd but not a T-5 and not the same as the F150. It also shifted like a truck. Dunno if that was integral bell or not either as I never had it out.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I wonder if you are refering to the 3 spd./OD trans that came in '83-'84 F 150's? They are a top-loader,3 spd floor shift,with fourth being Overdrive. They are also synchro. These trans have become popular as a modification into stock Model A's, as well as as early ford flathead V/8's. They only came in a couple of years,behind the six and 302. Are becoming fairly rare. There is a kit being made somewhere for this conversion. Jim King,Redding,Ca
                  \'47 M-15, \'53 Commander, \'31 Ford, \'69 Javelyn

Comment

Tom,

I was attempting to send you a PM, but your folder is full. Please clear some space and let me know. Thanks.
                    Jim Bradley
                    Lake Monticello, VA
                    '78 Avanti II
                    sigpic

Comment

try nowwwww

Comment

I have a 1995 F150 with the Mazda 5spd OD as described by others above. One thing I can tell you is that before installing one, make sure to replace the 3 rubber seals in the rear of the top cover. These have a habit of drying out and then only at highway speeds blowing the ATF out of the trans. It does not typically empty the trans, but will bypass enough the knock out 5th gear. I would also be very leary of used ones, if they have not been cared for they have a habit of poping out of gears and can have significant syncro wear as well. Mine has been serviced regularly and per the manual and it will occasionally pop out of 3rd if you don't get it shifted a little early. Also as a side note, Ford derates the towing capacity on the F150 from 5000 lbs with auto to 3500 lbs with 5spd. Most people do not know this and that can also lead to serious trans trouble with these. Ford did use the Mazda 5OD in some years of Rangers. THere are also 2 different versions, the R1 version may have been the Ranger version, but I am not sure. If anyone out there is considering a working truck swap to a Ford trans, either go older or use the ZF 5spd from the 3/4 ton and the 351-460 motors. It will bolt wherever a Mazda 5 OD came out of. The Diesel version is different.

Comment

thanks Gene! I will look again at my tranny and find numbers and so forth.

Comment

I ended up not using the ford truck tranny because the bell, fw and clutch were so big I'd have to cut the relatively flat floor of the stude to make it fit. The Mercedes 5 speed fits under the floor with room to spare.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim King View Post
                              I wonder if you are refering to the 3 spd./OD trans that came in '83-'84 F150's? They are a top-loader, 3 spd floor shift, with fourth being Overdrive. They are also synchro. These trans have become popular as a modification into stock Model A's, as well as as early ford flathead V/8's.

They only came in a couple of years, behind the six and 302. Are becoming fairly rare. There is a kit being made somewhere for this conversion.
                              RUG SR-OD Single Rail 4 speed Overdrive: 1978/83 F100/150, E100/150 300/302/351W / 1978/83 Mustang/Capri/Fairmont/Zephyr/Granada 200/255/302.

RTS TS-OD Top Shift 4 speed Overdrive: 1984/89 F150, Bronco, E150 300/302/351W

Both of these transmissions are "weak sisters." One speed shift, you can kiss the little darlins' good bye.

The RUG's shift lever nestles into a nylon bushing (D9BZ-7K453-A) located in the tailshaft.

The bushing has been a POS since day one, notorious for cracking...obsolete. AFAIK, only Northwest Transmissions has any.
                              Last edited by WinM1895; 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X