1957 Golden Hawk in a salvage yard Body Number 2424

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Golden Hawk in a salvage yard Body Number 2424

Hello, I'm sort of new here, I've owned a few Studebakers over the last 25 years. While hunting for a part today for some other car I own, I found this in a salvage yard. It's a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk. It's either a parts car or someone with a lot of ambition could try to restore it. It's missing the engine and as usual, a bit rusty. The owner of the yard when asked if it was for sale said...."yeah, I guess so....I'd have to move some stuff to get it out......". If there is any interest, I'll let him know. The car is about 3 to 4 hours North of Boston in Maine.

Since I'm new here...if I'm not suppose to post things like this, let me know...if there's a special place I'm suppose to use.

Frank Fay
    Augusta, ME 04330

Click image for larger version

Name:	57 golden hawk body number.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1737864Click image for larger version

Name:	57 golden hawk front end.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1737865Click image for larger version

Name:	57 golden hawk interior.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1737866Click image for larger version

Name:	57 golden hawk rear end.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1737867

needs saving.

Comment

Poor baby! But it looks to me like it needs parting out.

Comment

This reminds me of seeing a great ship sitting on the bottom of the ocean. You know it was splendid and grand at one time, but you can't do much about it now.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

This is the right place to put it, Frank, and thanks so much for taking the time to do so.

Since the yard owner will sell the whole car, hopefully someone will be able to pick it up and save it from being crushed. Even if it is not "restorable" due to structural elements, there have to be many unique bits and pieces to be gleaned from it; maybe a whole engine! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Not sure I know anybody with THAT much ambition. Sure is a shame to see it in that shape. Probably best as a donor car for someone's project.

Comment

Yeah....I know...I hate seeing it rot away.....and there are plenty of good parts....even the front fender ornament lamp is still there on the car. It must have been a beauty when it was new.....but I'm thinking a parts car....or doner....I mean..it's still got it's body tags......and there are reproduction sheet metal for this I'm sure.........

Comment

TO: relbmar16,----Private message sent.

Comment

it just needs a patch. Like over the whole body. cheers jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I have an interest in the 57 GH specific stuff, particularly the blower stuff. It would aid a local guy trying to resurrect a very similar 57 GH. Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Wolfe, you must be referring to someone other than me!? Mine is not that bad! Or is it?
                      '57 Silver Hawk
                      '57 Golden Hawk
                      '51 Champion

Comment

Originally posted by relbmar16 View Post
                        It's missing the engine and as usual, a bit rusty.
                        Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Even if it is not "restorable" due to structural elements,
                        there have to be many unique bits and pieces to be gleaned from it;
                        maybe a whole engine! BP
                        Uhhhh.....

wait a minute.

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Unless its one of the few 400's it is where it belongs. Maybe when the spring thaw comes some of the rare parts could be obtained. I'm only suggesting the possiblity of it being a 400 by what looks like leather interior but my knowledge of them is very limited.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

With angle-grinder/cutter & welder & new steel & the rest of it... only problem is time (& maby money) & young kids who's got that (time) aint interested.
                            But I've been taking on worse projects.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I was looking at the car, could this be a 400? The seats look like leather? Next weekend, I'll when I go there ( I have to pick up a bumper for my Studebaker) I'll take some more pictures and try to figure out if it's a 400 or not. Hopeully, the sun will cooperate, it was quite cloudy yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X