Something is strange here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something is strange here

A fellow I know here just recently acquired a 1964, 2-door, supposedly a Commander. I went down to see it today. It has a 289 with 4-barrel carb, 3 speed manual transmission with overdrive. The word, "Commander," I couldn't find anywhere, but both front fenders have "Cruiser" affixed to them. The number on the engine block, as near as we could tell, are VCP410. The block had been painted with orange paint, and it was hard to read. The tag on the firewall reads "VF4." tHAT tag has another tag attached to it that reads "11979." I am attaching pictures. Ideas, anyone?Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1737849Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08015.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1737850Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08016.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1737851Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08018.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1737852Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08019.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1737853

Also, I've tried the identification process in the SIL catalogue, but the numbers on the block of my 1964 convertible don't make sense to me. Those numbers are P93863. Can someone decipher it for me?

It appears to have started out as a Hamilton assembled '64 Commander 2 door for sure, with some Cruiser trim added later. What is the interior like, BTW?

Craig

Comment

The engine starting with "VC" is a 259 made in Canada. The engine starting with a "P" is a 289.

VF4 should be a 1964 V-8 powered two door sedan.

Your two door car is not a Cruiser. Someone probably replaced the front fenders after a collision.

Congratulations on your friend's purchase. A V-8 with overdrive is a great driver and a two door is definitely an all around cool car.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Commander side trim, Cruiser script and trunk molding. Someone has definetely made a few changes. Like said, interior will tell as well. I am thinking Commander, not Daytona or Cruiser.

Mark

Comment

The 11979 tag indicates the body number as built at the Hamilton Plant. The bodies were given sequential numbers at Hamilton regardless of body style, unlike South Bend where each body type had its own sequence of numbers.

It looks like while someone was robbing a Cruiser of trim, they also removed its deck lid overlay and placed it on the Commander's deck lid as well. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Sam, 64VF4 shows to be a Commander in the Chassis Parts Catalog. Craig is correct.

Comment

The engine number is using the new numbering system begun for the 1964 model year.
              V= 259
              C= Canadian manufacture
              P= Look again, it's probably a 'B' representing the month of February
              4= Year of manufature, 1964
              10=Day of manufacture, 10th
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Could the front fenders have been replaced with those from a Cruiser?
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                  Could the front fenders have been replaced with those from a Cruiser?
                  That's what I was thinking, and probably the trunk lid too. Possibly someone was parting out a Cruiser and this car was in need.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Also, I've tried the identification process in the SIL catalogue, but the numbers on the block of my 1964 convertible don't make sense to me. Those numbers are P93863. Can someone decipher it for me?[/QUOTE]

According to the table in the tech section of this Forum (attached), your 1964 Convertible engine started out in a 1963 Lark and it is a 289.

\'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                    \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

One thing that MUST be kept in mind is that the late "Cruiser - Commader & Challenge" scripts all will fit the SAME mounting holes. So it's REALLY easy to RE-badge a car from what it was originally. Same for '56 thue '58 cars.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X