Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 rear end....REBUILD or SWAP in USED ONE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 rear end....REBUILD or SWAP in USED ONE?

My 50 rear end just started howling about 4 miles ago.

Don't know the problem....
    I'm thinking either rebuild it (are parts easy to obtain?)..........or swaping in a used one?

What are your recommendations?

If rebuild....what is it...a Dana 44? I have a rear end shop nearby...but they usually stay away from old units...

It would be nice if someone had a rebuild or a good used one & brought it to YORK!!!

The differential in your car varies depending on the model. If you have a Champion, it should have a Dana 23. If your car is a Commander or Landcruiser, it could have a 44 in it. If you have a truck, it depends on the model. I'm working on a 50 Champion that needs differential service, but the owner doesn't want to spend the money to do the job as a rebuild could be expensive and there are no good used ones available locally. Bud

Comment

IF you could come across a good used one - that would be my choice. Is this a stock-engined car? As bud asked - Champion, Commander, truck? Details make questions alot easier to answer. I see you're located in the USA. It MIGHT be easier for someone that has a replacement to respond if they knew WHERE in the USA you're located. It's a pretty big country and these axles won't fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
        The differential in your car varies depending on the model. If you have a Champion, it should have a Dana 23. If your car is a Commander or Landcruiser, it could have a 44 in it. If you have a truck, it depends on the model. I'm working on a 50 Champion that needs differential service, but the owner doesn't want to spend the money to do the job as a rebuild could be expensive and there are no good used ones available locally. Bud

My 1950 Stude is a Champion Business Coupe w/ Overdrive, all stock.....I think the rear is a 4.56

I'm located in central NY.

Comment

I know this is too simple and perhaps too late, but have you checked the rear end for fluid? It may just be dry and making noise.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

My rear lost all it's fluid once. Made a heckuva racket too! This happened a few hours after I'd parked the Transtar at a locl Pick-a-Part wrecking yard and made the mistake of buying lunch off a Step-Van taco emporium. Said rear eventually cured itself. It was hell thru the interim tho!

Edit to note: Mine's a "44" too!
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Knowing the propensity of most folks (and mechanics ) to adhere to the flush and fill recommendations for the rear end housing, it is quite possible whatever lubricant is left in there was put there in South Bend in 1949 or 1950.
              If this just started four miles ago I would definitely do a flush and fill on the rear before tackling a full rebuild or swap.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Knowing the propensity of most folks (and mechanics ) to adhere to the flush and fill recommendations for the rear end housing, it is quite possible whatever lubricant is left in there was put there in South Bend in 1949 or 1950.
                If this just started four miles ago I would definitely do a flush and fill on the rear before tackling a full rebuild or swap.

I haven't had a chance to check the fluid...I was on my last drive of the season...getting my stabil to the carb.
                I replaced the fluid in both my tranny & rear end in 2008......I have never noticed any fluid loss & I assume the the fluid is ok.

I'll check the fluid level before anything else....maybe I'll change again or add as necessary & see what develops...Thank you for all the replies....

Comment

Working...
                X