PDA

View Full Version : Need power steering

DWard
08-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Hello------I'm looking to add power steering to my 57 Hawk. I guess I would have to get all the parts off a doner car. Is all Stude power steering the same? Which models and years will fit my 57 hawk? Thanks----Dan

JDP
08-12-2007, 09:01 PM
You are kinda screwed. You need a power steering column, a Saginaw steering box as well as a pump and it's very labor intensive.

JDP/Maryland
64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
64 GT R2
63 GT R2
63 Lark 2 door
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

rockne10
08-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Donor car will need to be another Hawk, coupe or hardtop. Critical parts from a sedan will not fit. You'll need everything from the front crank bolt, pully and spacer to the complete steering column and the steering column seal at the firewall; also pitman arm, reach rod and shifter linkages, steering pump and bracket and also the bracket and spacers to mount the steering box to the frame.

JDP
08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
It'll have to be a early (pre Bendix Hawk) too.

JDP/Maryland
64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
64 GT R2
63 GT R2
63 Lark 2 door
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

PackardV8
08-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Greetings, All,

1. What should he expect to pay for a complete early PS setup?
2. What should a rebuild of a Saginaw unit cost?

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

N8N
08-13-2007, 05:44 AM
I actually have most of the stuff he'd need except for the column and jacket. (I have '55-56 parts) pump is good, box needs rebuilt.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

DWard
08-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Wow! I did not think it would be that difficult of a swap. The only good thing about doing it now is I'm in the process of a frame off restoration. The body will be off the frame this weekend. If I'm goint to add power steering, now is the best time. Thanks for all your input. I will look for a doner car. If anyone hears of one let me know. Regards Dan

Roscomacaw
08-14-2007, 11:21 AM
I JUST sold a complete setup to a fella in Florida. If Nate's got the heavy parts, I MAY HAVE the upper pieces. Is this an automatic or standard shift car? It makes a difference.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

N8N
08-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Actually Mr. Biggs I don't think it does - at least for 55-56 columns the shift tube, lever, etc. are the same for P/S and non-P/S so he could just move his equipment over from his current column to the new P/S shift tube (which I don't have.)

I have to admit I'm not real motivated to sell my stuff because I will probably send the box off to be rebuilt at some point in time, but I suppose I could be induced to do so. I'm in northern VA so shipping may be a factor depending on location.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

DWard
08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Mr. Biggs & Nate------This car is presently an automatic with a champion 185 6 in it. My wife loves to drive this car so power would help her. I must admit, I'm not sure which way I'm going with this car. I have considered putting a different drive train ( motor & trans)in it, but I kinda like the little 6. I would put a Stude 289 in it if it were not so darn heavy, but I gather that motor weighs close to 675 lbs. I have read past threads where you guys talk about the lighter frames & suspension on 6 cyl cars. A chevy 4.3 liter v6 would weigh about the same as the champion 185 if one wanted to do the swap. At any rate, I'm inclined to totally rebuild the little Stude 6 and drop it back in--and I mean totally--all the block work, hard valve seats, mains,pistons & rings, etc etc and do a semi "Cathcart" special to it as well. I don't really need a race car,but I would like to bump the horsepower up to about 130hp or so.I am considering a T5 as well. I think this would help the performance and make it a little more fun to drive-but I have'nt made any decision yet. Also, Studebaker's overdrive trans would probably be alot easier, but how "bullet proof" is that transmission? I don't know anything about it.
Regardless of all the above, since I have it tore down, power steering would be nice if it is feasable to do and I can afford it. If you guys had all the parts between you, how much do you want for them? You can e-mail me if you like (I have'nt checked my mail yet). I always welcome your input as well. Everyone has a different take on what to do to restore a Stude, and I always enjoy reading the opinions, especially from those who have been involved with Studebakers for some time. Regards-----Dan Ward

Roscomacaw
08-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Dan, your apprehensions about a Stude V8 are unfounded. If there were real problems with it, there'd be ALOT of Studes in trouble. Admittedly, there's a difference in frame gage between 6s and 8s. But the overlying factor is that there's been SO MANY of these cars retrofitted with Stude V8s thru the years without real problems. For that matter, some of the cars that were V8s originally had frame problems even with the heavier gage frames they came with.
Certainly, a cracked frame's an alarming scenario, but it would be a slow-to-develop malady and would probably give warning signs before failing completely. Further, while you've got the car apart, you could install the reinforcements that have been developed.
Ya know, one thing this forum does is probably a disservice to the marque - and that is that it'll grab a bad incident and blow it WAY, WAY out of porportion to what really happens with most Studes.
Of course, everyone wants and needs to know about alarming developments that might be a precursor to problems with their own South Bend beauty, but if I were to misstep off my front stoop tomorrow, does that mean every front stoop across the country ought to be inspected and have "Watch Your Step" signs posted next to them???
There's just shy of 13K memberships in SDC. While we'd love to see more of those folks interact with this forum, it's likely there isn't but a couple of percent of SDC memberships that do so on anything even close to a regular basis. One frame develops cracks and another guy's heard of a guy that told of a guy that had a Stude with a cracked frame and the stampede begins! OH MY GOD! Stude frames are failing across the globe! It's truly epidemic!
Well, 34 years of Studebakering and I've personally seen THREE Stude frames that were distressed. Three out of .... I can't BEGIN to guess how many.
I think it's neat that you're considering keeping the 6 in this Hawk. It's a GOOD engine. It really is. I can't fathom that the car NEEDS PS with that 6 up front, but it will want it with a V8 and modern radial tires.
Actually, for just going down the road, I don't think PS is anywhere NEAR a necessity. But if you're gonna be parallel parking alot with a V8 and radial tires, yeah, I can see where a gal would want such.
As to Studebaker's OD trannies, they'll take a beating and keep on going. Of course, they're matched to their respective powerplants, but I can't envision you roughing up a T-96 behind even a warmed up 185. Likewise a T-86 is what Studebaker put behind their V8 cars - by and large. Figure, they weren't gonna make the mistake of under-estimating the punishment the transes were gonna take lest they (Studebaker) would have to stand behind them and make good (at their expense);)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

showbizkid
08-14-2007, 11:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

if I were to misstep off my front stoop tomorrow, does that mean every front stoop across the country ought to be inspected and have "Watch Your Step" signs posted next to them???

If you work for the government, the answer to that is "yes." [}:)]

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
www.studebakersandiego.com