Loewy once said....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loewy once said....

I'll get around to that quote in a bit. The inspiration for this thread is Anne Goodman's fault. You see, I went to visit Anne yesterday to retrieve a better gas tank for the Super Hawk project I'm trying to breathe life back into. The tank from the 58 Packard Hawk Annie bought is gonna do dooty under the GT - I hope.
    Anyway - as is usually the case when two Stude nuts have a pow-wow, we spent WAY longer than if I'd just picked up the tank and left. Actually, my spirits were lifted in her giving me a tour of the Goodman's back yard and garage. Now I don't feel so bad about all the cra..... er, stuff I've got jammed into my garage and other places. But while I'd fully expected to come away from my visit with nothing more than the gas tank, it was not to be. No - Anne preyed upon me. While she didn't offer me a killer deal on stainless gravel guards for '51 Starlight coupes - didn't tempt me with NOS side grilles for '55 C-K cars - nor tease me with a '58 Packard Hawk horn button, she DID take advantage of my weakness for shiny stuff. And how SMOOOOOOOTHLY she hooked me!
    She's pretending to be extolling Mabel's finer points - curbside - out front - when she acts like she just HAPPENS to notice a little, plastic bag on Mabel's front seat. "Oh!" she says with an aire of innocence.... "Look what I picked up at a garage sale the other day." Shaking the clink-clank contents of the bag into my hands - what's revealed is a set of chrome letters from the hood of a 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88. DANG! Knowing of my weakness (I mean, she must've known and planned this kill!) - she deftly suckered me into paying her DOUBLE what she had in these gleaming pot metal orphan artifacts. GAH!

But - but - OK..... I'm gonna make the best of this. I really am. If it hadn't been a '58 Olds Super, I could've resisted. But the truth is, I actually have fond memories of such a car, since I often rode in one during the latter part of 1963. I really admired that car and it made a lasting impression on me for sure. So here I was with a handful of '58 Olds that's about as close to having my OWN '58 Olds as time and money'll ever allow.

So, I get home and start cleaning these ten letters up a bit. A"bit" was all that was required as they look pretty darned nice just as Anne poured them into my hands. And it DOES take both hands to hold them adequately! They're big letters! So big that I was moved to weigh them on our digital kitchen scale. Which showed they came in right at one pound even. One POUND of glitz! Wonder how much extra gas it cost me to bring them from Anne's house to ours???
    Anyways - that observation prompted me to consider what '58 Studebaker letters might weigh - me just happening to have a little drawer of extra letters from various Studes. Hah! The Stude letters (ten in number - just like Oldsmobile) weighed in at a feathery 2point6 ounces. My mind went right to Loewy's famed utterance: "Weight is the Enemy!". Hmmmmmm.... I wonder if Oldsmobile even bothered to enter the '58 Mobilgas Economy Runs????Click image for larger version

Name:	oldstudeletters1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1737843Click image for larger version

Name:	oldstudeletters2.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1737844Click image for larger version

Name:	oldstudletters3.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1737845
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Not only an "utterance", but also on a large sign in the middle of the design studio conference table as early as 1945.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob the Studebaker letters you are using are the angle cut ones, try the full straight front one and see how much difference there is.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

3 point 6 ounces for the full letters
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well Bob this does it! We now know that you like a lot of us, are completely U. S. Certifiable as a way out there, actual Car NUT!

Maybe Pistachio!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, I confess to your supposition! I did ask myself why I bought the Olds letters off'n Annie. The truth was, I did it 'cause I could!

Comment

Now for the car to put them on perhaps?
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

John - if only! Fact is, not too many years ago there was one of these road beasts sitting forlorn near here. I'd occasionally drive by it and fantasize, but that's as far as it ever got. I'd be WAY better off to find and buy a nice example than to try and breathe life into a dead one! I could get a really nice one for proably 15 to 20K. I think the rechrome tab alone would be more than that!

Comment

Nice story, Bob!
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

It's only a year off......

Comment

I always liked the looks of the 57 better than the 58, but for an example of 50's excess the 58 is right up there.
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

What did GM think about when they let design the 58's?
                        Maby "are we gonna go big-box-square or what??? ...YOU BET, beauty aint interesting!" My opinion is for sure that Buick & Olds really lost their face, /style & personality in -58.
                        But that's just me...
                        & my taste is...
                        That I L-O-V-E Studebaker!
                        ...& fancy, even BIG time, some others.

Comment

There is a similar story in aviation lore.

When developing the Learjet, (the first light business jet) William Lear was constantly fighting the problem all aircraft designers have, increasing airframe weight.
                          One day he reported said..."I'd kill my grandmother to save a few pounds".
                          From then on, "Grandmother" because a new unit of measurament.
                          Engineers would ask Lear...and each other, "How many Grandmothers is that worth?".
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Part of my admiration for the '58 Olds IS the excess it's a monument to. It's most certainly NOT from the same "neighborhood" as a '53 C or K or even an Avanti (which while I can appreciate Avantis, I'm not really a fan of). No, the 58 offerings from GM - save for Chevrolet - were ALL glittering barges - and I love them. BTW, I did see the '57 on ebay yesterday. I actually think it's too attractive to fulfill any yearning I might harbor to own such a car. Nah - it's gotta be a '58, and I wouldn't be all that fussy about the trim level or body style - although a 4dr hdtp or wagon would be COOL!
                            What drives this fantasy is the '58 I rode in numerous times in the summer of '63. I was in technical school in the USAF - stationed at Chanute AFB in Illinois. One of my classmates was a fella from New York who had this Rosemist '58 Olds 98 4dr hardtop. He'd removed any letters, scripts and badges and had the body cherry'd out before it had been painted. I can't recall if he'd done anything to boost the HP, but I can attest it went down the road with ease, and felt as tho one was lounging in a giant, mobile couch. On friday afternoons, we'd "fall out" after our last class and run straight to our barracks. We'd gather up our civvy clothes and head east. We'd FLY the two-lanes across Indiana and Ohio and turn north at Toledo. There, I'd get out at my folks place and Sparceeno and his buddy from Detroit would go there for the weekend. I'd spend my weekend with my folks and/or my sweetie.
                            At 4PM on Sunday, I'd be waiting on my folks front porch and listen for the music of the duals on Sparceeno's Olds. So there's my '58 Olds "connection". It only took a trip or two before I started to look at that vehicle as something more than just another car. It would be 10 years on before I even considered an older car as daily transport. And even then, Studebaker was not on my "radar". The first oldie I bought as a result of a budding appreciation for passe styling was a '56 Coupe de Ville. But that's another story. The second oldie I bought (after the Caddy was totalled) was a clapped out '60 Lark ragtop. But I've told that story here several times already.

Comment

Working...
                            X