PDA

View Full Version : Need a Master Cylinder Cap

wdills
01-08-2013, 08:24 PM
I am looking for a master cylinder cap for a 50 Champion. This is the old style master cylinder with a top cover that bolts on. All the caps I see listed are for the new style master cylinder that is a single casting. The older style cylinder has a smaller diameter cap.

Anyone have one or have a suggestion of someone that might?

Thanks
Wayne

StudeRich
01-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Just replace that ancient relic with a New Master Cylinder.

TX Rebel
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
I have the cap or the exact NOS replacement m/cyl.
www.studebakersite.com

wdills
01-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Yea, I thought about replacing the entire master cylinder, but the car has such good breaks and such a nice solid pedal, I hate to change it.

Barry, please send me a PM with the price for the cap.

Thanks
Wayne

52 Ragtop
01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Just remember! That brake system is 60+ years old! AND a single system, IF any ONE part fails, you are in deep do do. Check ALL of your wheel cylinders, hoses, AND the master cylinder. IF your brake hoses are more than 5 years old (check the date code on them) they "should" be replaced. If they have NO date code on them, they were made previous to 1977, and SHOULD be replaced! Most brake hoses get pretty hard after 4-5 years, Raybestoes "recommends" replacement after 3-5 years!
But, as lots here on the forum say, "your car, your money" and I'll add, your safety!!

Jim

wdills
01-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the safety tips Jim,
All the wheel cylinders and hoses are pretty new. Dad just broke the center out of the Master Cylinder cap when trying to remove it. Sometimes he is not very patient with a stuck bolt or fastener. But in his defense, I have to say, these under the floor master cylinders are not very easy to get to. It seems that due to their location, all these Master Cylinders would have a hex fitting so you could get a socket on it. His had a square raised area, and when I looked at the new one on my Hawk, it also has a square raised area. And mine was stuck too.

Still may end up replacing the whole thing if I don't hear from Barry.

Wayne

Wayne

StudeRich
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Just replace that ancient relic with a New Master Cylinder.

Most new OEM Wagner Masters have rustproof, Black plastic Hex head vented Caps, but can be replaced with the original deeper Hex head vented Caps.