PDA

View Full Version : Check out the '65 Wagonaire in Stevensville, Maryland

brngarage
01-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Does anyone on the forum live close enough (and have the time) to check out a car for me? I'm in Los Angeles and the car sounds really good, but I hate to take a chance sight unseen.
The car is a '65 Wagonaire in Stevensville, Maryland. Here is a link to see it on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Studebaker-Wagonaire-sliding-roof-beautiful-California-RESTORED-car-AC-/150974901867?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2326ce2e6b

Thanks VERY much!

StudeRich
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Oh, that one. It has been talked about here many times for Months! It looks like it would be a good driver for the right price and it may have come down a lot. If you don't mind all of the mods and the low trim level, upgraded Commander.

brngarage
01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks Rich.

kurtruk
01-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Darn, Howard. I think it was previously for sale in Northern California.

billmdonn
01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
It started out with a BUY IT NOW of $9900. Buy it now was missed. Current bit is 9800. Looks good to me.

ISpy
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
If you are still looking for someone to check this out your best bet might be to try John Poulous. He is on the forum as JDP,his website is http://stude.com/ which has his # and this thread http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?55940-Please-help-me-locate-john-poulos-(jdp) has a direct email. I don't know if he can or will but you should check with him as he is very close to the car AND since he has bought and resold countless Studes you probably would be hard pressed to find someone better to inspect it for you. If it were me and I was in your situation I would offer to make it worth his while to do it both with the high price of the car AND all the long distance horror stories you see on here.

brngarage
01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Excellent advice. Thanks Hank.

studegary
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
If you don't get this one, the SNM is going to be putting a 1965 Wagonaire on eBay, but it will need more.

Bordeaux Daytona
01-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Autoweek noticed it.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130108/CARNEWS01/130109893

billmdonn
01-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Lesson to be learned. If you want it hit the BIN. $9900 < $12000

Lark_Looker
01-10-2013, 05:36 PM
It looks great! I missed out on one a couple of years ago and have regretted ever since. Still looking for my first Stude, just not sure Wagonaire should be my first one. I have read that these have trouble getting out of their own way on the highway. Anyone drive these as a daily or weekend driver? I really do like the paint scheme too, don't know if that is original or not. Thanks.

studegary
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
It looks great! I missed out on one a couple of years ago and have regretted ever since. Still looking for my first Stude, just not sure Wagonaire should be my first one. I have read that these have trouble getting out of their own way on the highway. Anyone drive these as a daily or weekend driver? I really do like the paint scheme too, don't know if that is original or not. Thanks.

I had a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire as an everyday driver for nine years. It wasn't as fast as some lighter Studebakers, but it did fine with a 289. The 283 should be about equal.
No, that is not an original paint scheme.

StudeRich
01-10-2013, 05:48 PM

See Post #2, that Paint is the most part of the "Modified" condition. They came with all the Stainless and Aluminum Trim around the windows and the through the door handles side trim on Daytonas, and these '64-'65 Commanders have less but no paint was ever anything except 100% Solid Colors.

About the lack of power, the only time that was mentioned is if it is equipped with a "6" Cylinder. The 259, 289 or Jet Thrust Avanti Engine on '64's or the GM 283 with the right rear axle ratio has no problem keeping up with the Hondas.
A '63-'64 Studebaker Standard 289 has 305 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, which is what makes for low and Medium RPM pulling Power and more than enough speed. :)

kurtruk
01-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Hmm. No mention or pictures of the headliner. Not a deal-breaker, but we here know the issues with Wagonaire headliners.

Lark_Looker
01-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the info. After showing it to the wife last night, she really liked the sliding roof, we decided to bid on it. Unfortunately we were not the winning bid this morning, and I think she was more excited than I was about biding on it. I hope the new owner enjoys it! Well now I have a dilemma, I have been looking for a decent Lark for the last couple of years but now the "Boss" wants a Wagonaire. I have explained that they are low numbers and rarely come up for sale but I may have to put the Lark on the back burner until I exhaust my abilities looking for the new "family" car.

StudeRich
01-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Hey Troy, you and Mrs. Looker need to check this out. How about an Automatic Trans. 259 V-8 '63 Studebaker Lark WAGON with Factory Disc. Brakes? This is one of the quite rare for '63 Wagons, especially in Daytona trim, not a Wagonaire. It is in most ways the same, looks exactly the same etc. but the roof is fixed and sealed.

I happen to know from personal experience that my friend James Bell has put lots of new parts and good work into this car to make it a turn key dependable driver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wagon-/281047116164?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

At that price with no reserve, you could easily ship it to GA and still be money ahead!
Shipping is usually under $1500.00 and varies a lot.

Lark_Looker
01-12-2013, 10:07 AM
I saw that last night and put in in my watch list. I like it! The wife is quite taken with the Wagonaire, Loves the look and the sliding roof, will see what she thinks about this one. Trying to find one that is road worthy with less restoration involved to get it on the road. Thanks for the info!

Bellingham Studenut
01-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Hey Troy, you and Mrs. Looker need to check this out. How about an Automatic Trans. 259 V-8 '63 Studebaker Lark WAGON with Factory Disc. Brakes? This is one of the quite rare for '63 Wagons, especially in Daytona trim, not a Wagonaire. It is in most ways the same, looks exactly the same etc. but the roof is fixed and sealed.

I happen to know from personal experience that my friend James Bell has put lots of new parts and good work into this car to make it a turn key dependable driver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wagon-/281047116164?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

At that price with no reserve, you could easily ship it to GA and still be money ahead!
Shipping is usually under $1500.00 and varies a lot.

The 63 Wagon has been sold to a Very Enthusiastic 14 year old (young man) in Pasadena, California!

His father is excited for him and they come from a long family of auto restoration people.
He is ready to start finishing restoration of the wagon and make a great driver (when he gets his license) for everyone to see enjoying a Studebaker (not just for old folks)!

Until he gets his license, he might make a great club member!

I hate to see the Wa gon gon, but glad it has a great new owner who will fix it up and drive it!

James

StudeRich
01-19-2013, 10:57 PM
/Cut/Until he gets his license, he might make a great club member!/Cut/
James

Yeah I hate when that happens, us ol gezzers get our license and then are never good Club Members! :D :lol: