Crimson Tide rolled over ND, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimson Tide rolled over ND, but...

...this 33-second clip wound up being one of the highlights of the blowout...er, game:

http://larrybrownsports.com/media/br...d-video/169008

Wife and I were watching the game and I about lost a good piece of Papa John's pizza when those guys had that exchange. Funny stuff, the advice tendered to budding quarterbacks. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Alabama won. Now Bamajack says he will never have to watch another football game for the rest of his life. His dream has been fulfilled!!
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
      Alabama won. Now Bamajack says he will never have to watch another football game for the rest of his life. His dream has been fulfilled!!
      Don't you believe it. Jack will never give up an Alabama game on the tube.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I saw the Alabama practice session, er, game... Oh my. One of my best friends is a Tuba player in the ND band. He called me today, didn't have much to say about the game.

Maybe next year.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Yep, The "Tide" rolled over ND, But, I'm thinking they way they played, maybe after the "speech Team" got down to S. Floridah, they realized, that the ND football team forgot to get on the plane! as they were still in South Bend waiting on a new "Rockne" to roll off the assembly line! <G>
          Bob, at that point in the game, maybe the 2nd quarter, they had NOTHING else to talk about as the game was pretty much over at that point!

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
            Yep, The "Tide" rolled over ND, But, I'm thinking they way they played, maybe after the "speech Team" got down to S. Floridah, they realized, that the ND football team forgot to get on the plane! as they were still in South Bend waiting on a new "Rockne" to roll off the assembly line! <G>
            Bob, at that point in the game, maybe the 2nd quarter, they had NOTHING else to talk about as the game was pretty much over at that point! Jim
            Actually, Jim; it was earlier than that! Check the crawler in the opening of the clip; those guys made those comments with more than 4 minutes left in the first quarter!

(But as you'd expect, 'Bama had the ball with first and ten...) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
              I saw the Alabama practice session, er, game... Oh my. One of my best friends is a Tuba player in the ND band. He called me today, didn't have much to say about the game.

Maybe next year.
              I take it they didn't hang around down there and play on the beach for a couple days, eh, Chris? BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                I take it they didn't hang around down there and play on the beach for a couple days, eh, Chris? BP

Perhaps they decided that they had been rolled by enough "Tide" and just wanted to get home.

I don't know if ND experienced a fortunate schedule by catching their opponents at the "right" time this year or what. They had some close calls this year, but looked like they had put it together. However, for this game, they looked over-matched and thus over-rated. Lots of times you will see one of these games go lopsided because of lack of effort. To me, the Fighting Irish played their hearts out. They were no match for Bama.

As far as the announcers...I can't help but think the guys had been sneaking a little brandy. I thought their comments were out of character, over the top, and less than the standards expected for journeymen professionals. Somewhere...if poor ol' Joe Nemeth was watching, he probably was thinking..."ME TOO!"(recalling one of his tipsy, on the sideline, escapades a few years ago)
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Perhaps they decided that they had been rolled by enough "Tide" and just wanted to get home.

I don't know if ND experienced a fortunate schedule by catching their opponents at the "right" time this year or what. They had some close calls this year, but looked like they had put it together. However, for this game, they looked over-matched and thus over-rated. Lots of times you will see one of these games go lopsided because of lack of effort. To me, the Fighting Irish played their hearts out. They were no match for Bama.
                  I have this theory, John, and cannot prove it, so that's why it is a theory:

Good teams from cold climates have trouble adapting to suddenly-warm climates for bowl games.

I've long thought that's why seemingly-good Big Ten teams from cold climates don't play their best against teams from warm climates in the annual Rose Bowl.

Warm-climate team members from, say, 'Bama and USC don't experience the "environmental shock" as do teams such as Wisconsin or Notre Dame in these winter bowl games played in warm climates. I'm not making excuses for anybody; it's just a theory: Cold-climate players have had a couple months of winter weather before the new year rolls around and, having adjusted, are suddenly placed back in September-like weather; weather the warm-climate team has been experiencing all along.

I really believe that can't help but take the edge off cold-climate teams playing January games in warm climates against warm-climate teams. And that's not to take anything away from The Crimson Tide's victory over Notre Dame; they executed a wonderful game and deserved to win.

Without a ton of physiological and psychological data over many years, my theory would be difficult to prove, so I'll repeat that it's just a theory from someone who knows precious little about the actual game of football. BP

Comment

So BP...do you think that the game should be played over two weekends? Perhaps the first half played in Florida...then everybody make their way to...say...Green Bay...and play the second half?

Perhaps we should keep this to ourselves...in today's crazy world...somebody is likely to make it a cause.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      So BP...do you think that the game should be played over two weekends? Perhaps the first half played in Florida...then everybody make their way to...say...Green Bay...and play the second half?

Perhaps we should keep this to ourselves...in today's crazy world...somebody is likely to make it a cause.
                      'Say; there's an idea! (But agreed; let's not pursue it....) BP

Comment

JUST IN!!!

University of Notre Dame "OUT SCORES" the University of AlabamaND 90% graduation rate

'Bama 37% graduation rate

(or another way some may choose to put it; Brains vs. Brawn"official stats" right here:

Comment

My wife and I each received Notre Dame sweatshirts for Christmas gifts. Now it won't be as much fun to wear them! BP's theory on the climate change is interesting. I'll remember to refer to it when I get kidded while wearing my new sports attire! Maybe the game could be held in Nashville or some similar city about half-way to satisfy the theory!
                          Last edited by Bob Bryant; 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM.
                          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Ha, that was actually BEFORE the game when he called me to inform me that he was sitting in a pub at Ft. Lauderdale eating a cheeseburger with a coke and that he met a girl down there... Said the weather was offley nice too, hot. He asked me how I was doing... Snarl, growl. Oh, what are friends for?! That lucky.....

I'm going to guess he had a good time regardless, seeing that he now hangs around celeberties:

Guy on the left, we've been close friends for years. I must say I am proud of him, but the luckiest guy I know as far as getting to florida. Now all we need to do is get him into Studebakers, he's a Willys guy.
                            Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 01-08-2013, 10:50 PM.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Guess what the two best teams did not pay in that game this year, might have been different if it had been Ohio State in place of ND.....Ya I know the reason Ohio State was not there but they all have the same problem by they all don't get caught.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X