Worth of low mileage 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth of low mileage 289

I am looking for the worth of a late 64 low mileage-(less than 50K) 289 4-barrel engine? Thoughts?
    THANKS

Kinda like trying to say how high "UP" is. Is it currently running in a vehicle and does it run well? Has it sat for long periods of time between having been run? Leaking? Valve train/heads OK? Would it have to be shipped any distance to a buyer? Studebaker V8s were tough motors, but like all engines designed in that era, were good for 70K-100K miles before needing to be overhauled. Unless it has been extremely well maintained over the last 48 years, it would probably be considered a good full flow rebuilder candidate. Price? Like I say, depends upon a lot of factors.....

Comment

If it was running in a car where I could check it out completely and oil pressure and compression was to spec - $750 -1000

If someone told me it ran when pulled - $350-500.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

If a late model full flow 289 with stock 4 bld carb and manifold is not worth $1000.00 then it is not worth saving as a whole engine break it down and sell it as parts, good block, heads, crank, rods , pistons if still good, cam, carb, manifold, distributor, air cleaner, started, alternator, pan, exhaust manifolds, $1000.00 easy do the math.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

I bought a '64 289 (2bbl out of a rusted out GT Hawk) that ran great (I drove it) with a 3-spd OD and 3.73 TT Dana 44 rear. I bought the whole drivetrain for $850. It was a good deal between fellow local chapter members.
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I bought a 50K 289 2-bbl in 2008 for $600 and it was dressed with everything but the power steering pump. On teardown it looked like a nice, clean 50K engine.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

break it down and sell it as parts
              This is why Bob's in the used Stude parts business and most of us aren't. It's far from easy money selling a car or parts one piece at a time. This forum reaches worldwide and every time I've disassembled an engine, cleaned the rusty, oily parts, crated up an intake, or a pair of heads or a block or a crank, do the paperwork, wait for payment, haul it to the shipper, I swear, "never again!"

I've got a member patiently waiting for his transmission and getting out in the sub-freezing grarage to build a crate is just not any fun.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                If it was running in a car where I could check it out completely and oil pressure and compression was to spec - $750 -1000

If someone told me it ran when pulled - $350-500.

jack vines
                I agree with Jack. I purchased a "ran when it was pulled, low mileage" '64 259 for $500. Other than a flush, a new carb, some seals, and a paint job, it went right into my truck. I think that was a tremendous deal.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  This is why Bob's in the used Stude parts business and most of us aren't. It's far from easy money selling a car or parts one piece at a time. This forum reaches worldwide and every time I've disassembled an engine, cleaned the rusty, oily parts, crated up an intake, or a pair of heads or a block or a crank, do the paperwork, wait for payment, haul it to the shipper, I swear, "never again!"

I've got a member patiently waiting for his transmission and getting out in the sub-freezing grarage to build a crate is just not any fun.

jack vines
                  I shipped a 52 caddy stick tranny last summer with just cardboard and styrofoam surrounding the big part. a cardboard cup on the input shaft and the output shaft. It must have been at least 40" long and weighed about 92#. I shipped it Fedex ground.

I am not sure they would take packaging like that today though.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

The last "pig in a poke" Stude V8 I bought was last summer, for $150. It was a full flow 259 and came out of a 1957 truck, with a truck bellhousing and T85 tranny bolted onto it. I scrapped the engine after selectively removing a few things, and the T85 is in the shed out back. Unfortunately, I also scrapped the bell housing; didn't know at that time they are kinda rare, and sought after. I still have the 11" flywheel, and have no idea what I'll ever do with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X