Is this a 1955 Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a 1955 Champion?

Found this Stude can't get in to see it till Monday. Does it look like an early 55 champion?

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

That looks like a late 55 with the curved windshield to me.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

That looks like a late 55 with the curved windshield to me.

JDP/Maryland
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      64 GT R2
      63 GT R2
      63 Lark 2 door
      58 Starlight
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

But is it a champion? versas commander?

Mabel 1949 Champion
        1957 Silverhawk
        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

But is it a champion? versas commander?

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

As JP says, it is a second half model with the Ultra Vista windshield. I suspect it is a Champion.

Comment

As JP says, it is a second half model with the Ultra Vista windshield. I suspect it is a Champion.

Comment

Why does it matter? I believe in '55 the dash etc. was all the same (between Champion and Commander, that is - it most certainly is different between early and late sedans, and between late sedans and C-Ks. I THINK that the dash is the same between an early sedan and a C-K but don't quote me on that.) the only difference between Champion and Commander are the gauge of the metal in the frame, the brakes, and obviously the drivetrain. If it were a Commander, the larger brakes and heavier frame would be a bonus, and even the larger rear brakes will bolt right on a lighter duty Dana 27 rear end if the Champion is so equipped. Possibly a Commander would have had electric wipers while a Champion would have had vacuum, not sure. I do believe that the front fenders are different between "Ultra-Vista" (late) '55 sedans vs. early however; not a big difference but it is there. I have heard that they may be modified to work but given the choice getting the right stuff would be easier. But buying a Commander for a parts car would actually be a Good Thing (tm) unless you actually need some engine/drivetrain related parts for a Champion.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Why does it matter? I believe in '55 the dash etc. was all the same (between Champion and Commander, that is - it most certainly is different between early and late sedans, and between late sedans and C-Ks. I THINK that the dash is the same between an early sedan and a C-K but don't quote me on that.) the only difference between Champion and Commander are the gauge of the metal in the frame, the brakes, and obviously the drivetrain. If it were a Commander, the larger brakes and heavier frame would be a bonus, and even the larger rear brakes will bolt right on a lighter duty Dana 27 rear end if the Champion is so equipped. Possibly a Commander would have had electric wipers while a Champion would have had vacuum, not sure. I do believe that the front fenders are different between "Ultra-Vista" (late) '55 sedans vs. early however; not a big difference but it is there. I have heard that they may be modified to work but given the choice getting the right stuff would be easier. But buying a Commander for a parts car would actually be a Good Thing (tm) unless you actually need some engine/drivetrain related parts for a Champion.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Could be a Champion Regal or Commander Deluxe or Regal from looking at the trim, need to get closer to the car to tell Ann, wait till tomorrow I guess.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Could be a Champion Regal or Commander Deluxe or Regal from looking at the trim, need to get closer to the car to tell Ann, wait till tomorrow I guess.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Well why I was wondering was I wanted to take the interior out of the wrecked Champion and up it into this one door panels etc. Thought it would be great if they fit. Just trying to get ahead of myself. If it has the engine in it then it will stay a 6 cylinder. Then there will be one more Stude on the road.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                        1957 Silverhawk
                        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
                        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                        Gus 1958 Transtar
                        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Well why I was wondering was I wanted to take the interior out of the wrecked Champion and up it into this one door panels etc. Thought it would be great if they fit. Just trying to get ahead of myself. If it has the engine in it then it will stay a 6 cylinder. Then there will be one more Stude on the road.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                          1957 Silverhawk
                          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                          Gus 1958 Transtar
                          Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
                          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                          Gus 1958 Transtar
                          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                          Fresno,Ca

Comment

It certainly has the markings of a Champion 4 door. Parent's have a 55 Champion 4 door parts car in red/black with no floors in it, in the same shape as that 4 door. Now we do also have a couple of Commanders(one a running vehicle, the other a parts vehicle), but they are hardtops. It almost looked like it had the red/black or red/gray two tone on it. Couldn't tell you about whether it was early or late. The only thing I know about that is the literature had two different layouts for that year due to the model changes.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                            [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                            [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

It certainly has the markings of a Champion 4 door. Parent's have a 55 Champion 4 door parts car in red/black with no floors in it, in the same shape as that 4 door. Now we do also have a couple of Commanders(one a running vehicle, the other a parts vehicle), but they are hardtops. It almost looked like it had the red/black or red/gray two tone on it. Couldn't tell you about whether it was early or late. The only thing I know about that is the literature had two different layouts for that year due to the model changes.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X