And so, the Conestoga project gets going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so, the Conestoga project gets going

Today the Conestoga was rolled into the shop.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2083.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1737835

And introduced to its future 289

Name:	DSCN2084.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1737836

Every journey begins with a single step, right?
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Hey Pat -

Put these up on the Conestoga site too...
    Start your "build-up" thread like mine.

Mike

Comment

Hi Pat
      Good Luck with your new project!
      We have Sandi's Hawk back in the shop and it is just about ready for final primer, disassembly, and painting.
      Picked uip the motor from the machine shop just before Xmas.
      Happy New Year
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Pat, It looks like a winner in the making. Good luck on the whole enchilada.
        sals54

Comment

Pat, I see a good drivers side mirror on the Conestoga that you can use to replace the one that fell off of Stu Cool! Problem solved.
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Thanks guys, Perry I thought about that as I was pushing it into the shop. But, I have a better plan.
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Glad to see another Conestoga getting ready for the road, your gonna have fun with this wagon.
              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Will be looking forward to the transformation from the old patina to the new PATina!

(I couldn't resist.)
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Pat
                  Your stuff you ordered for the Conestoga is being shipped today.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Hey Frank -

Do'n a lot of Conestoga sales lately ??

Mike

Comment

Correct Mike. Never sold anything to go on a Conestoga until the last few of months. <G> Your shipment and Pat's are sitting here in Omaha, next to each other, waiting to ship. Hope to see regular reports on your builds. You two guys can compare notes on your builds even though you are way ahead of Pat on yours.

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                      Hey Frank -

Do'n a lot of Conestoga sales lately ??

Mike
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Pat: I can't tell for sure, it looks like your project started out as a Champion Regal (D5); correct? Or is it a lesser D3 DeLuxe that has been tarted up along the way? Either way, it's one of fewer than 7,000 Champion Conestogas built in 1954; 3,910 Regals and 3,074 DeLuxes, to be exact.

(And with a Ford Mainline 2-door wagon listing at $2,029 and the Champion DeLuxe at $2,187, it's not hard to see why: At the time, the extra $158 for the equivalent Studebaker represented about two more monthly payments...ouch!)

Anyway, 'looking good; a solid candidate. 'Best wishes with the project. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Excellent news Frank, it will be a while before I actually use them, but good to have them ready.

Bob, You are correct it is a D5. As I start to take it apart it seems to be pretty much original condition.

My goal for this car is to have a car to drive anytime and anywhere. Something a car guy might have had as a daily driver back in the 60s. Concentrating on the chassis and drive train first. It has an interesting patina that I will leave alone for a while at least. Dick Steincamp shared with me the expression "Wabi Sabi" that is apparently a popular term these days.

"Wabi now connotes rustic simplicity, freshness or quietness, and can be applied to both natural and human-made objects, or understated elegance. It can also refer to quirks and anomalies arising from the process of construction, which add uniqueness and elegance to the object. Sabi is beauty or serenity that comes with age, when the life of the object and its impermanence are evidenced in its patina and wear, or in any visible repairs."

The quietness part may not apply as it will have dual Smithys
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Hey, Wabi Sabi for your "kemo-sahbee" (faithful friend) as in Tonto's expression of the Lone Ranger! We could engage in all sorts of corny trivial associations. Shucks... you could even name her "Connie." Surely no one has ever thought to name their Conestoga that!

(too much caffeine this morning)
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Today I gained a little extra space to work and park stuff. And maybe someday give me enough vertical space for a lift.

Name:	DSCN2095.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1678441 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2098.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1678442

And the finishing touch Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2099.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1678443

And the first occupant Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2103.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1678444
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X