Gentleman's Chop Magazine Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentleman's Chop Magazine Article

Discussion during the thread about the custom '61 Hawk in another thread has lead me to share this article. It is an article from Custom Rodder Magazine from Spring 1991, written by Jerry Weesner. The article follows famous customizer Dick Dean as he chops the top on a '53 Starliner. The method used by Dean is quite simple, the technique can also be applied to a Starlight, but is much more difficult because of the B pillar and door frames.

Moderators, if posting this article violates forum rules or copyright laws please remove it. Custom Rodder Magazine is no longer being published as far as I have been able to determine. I purposely left the files large for maximum visibility. I am not promoting doing this, but the article has been mentioned numerous times on the forum so I thought I would share it with the group.
    Attached Files
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

One more page.

Well, look like it is not very readable, you can try printing it. I can email the article to those who would like it, or if someone has a better suggestion on how to share it, let me know.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pat Dilling; 01-07-2013, 08:18 AM.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Thanks Pat, I spent quite a while yesterday trying to find that on the web. Strictly speaking, if one was to follow the letter of the law, I suppose one would have to get the publishers written permission to post, but I have always believed that there is nothing wrong with living up to the spirit of the law by citing where the article was first printed, or citing the author, and by not making any profit from posting. Regards, Junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I remember having bought that issue. I kept it for years. Loved the Stude coverage in that era. A lot of "dare to be different" thinking then. Starting in the late 80s a surge in Stude acceptance had started and continues to this day.
        sals54

Comment

Thanks Pat for posting jpegs of this article! I've been looking for it for a long time!

Comment

Can you email a copy to me? JSanford7662@att.net

Comment

I had that copy when new and loaned it out. It may still be around. I'll have to look. I remember liking the look of the car when done
              Steve Grant
              madd_doodler@yahoo.com
              a.k.a. the Madd Doodler
              www.madddoodler.com
              Kinzua Region Chapter
              1881 Grain Wagon
              Late 1800s Spindle Seat Buggy
              1955 Conestoga
              1959 Lark 2 dr sdn

Comment

I've often thought that the 1958 and later Stude hardtops, and 2-door coupes for that matter, were just slightly too tall, just enough to look a tad ungainly and top-heavy. My former '62 Lark always looked a little out-of-proportion to my eyes. A gentleman's chop could go a long ways into making them more aesthetically pleasing. What say ye?
                Perhaps someone more adept at Photoshop could work their magic on a few pics.
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Email sent.

Enjoy

Pat
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA

Comment

In about an hour?????
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                      In about an hour?????
                      On a Starliner with just the A pillar to cut and a partial slice on the C pillar. I don't think that counts the interior parts or the glass. Doing a Starlight is much more involved.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Steve Hudson's 53 coupe with Gentleman's chop. As the article states, it looks correct. It is how the car was initially designed. Two of the three photos are from Bonneville in 92. This car is powered by a turbo 3.8 Buick V6. It is very nice looking.
                        Attached Files
                        james r pepper

Comment

When I first saw a pic of a Stude back when I was a kid, I thought it would look better with the gentleman's chop.
                          Though I didn't know that term then.
                          Now I honestly think the stock roofline looks better.

Strange.

Comment

I would appreciate a copy of the Gentleman's Chop article.

Send to don.jeffers at frontier.com

Thanks

Comment

I would appreciate a copy of the Gentleman's Chop article.

Send to don.jeffers at frontier.com

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X