PDA

View Full Version : Caravan to Colorado Springs Meet?

63r2hawk
01-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Just wondering if anyone would be interested to caravan to Colorado Springs Meet this June?

Matt

Dads Baby
01-05-2013, 01:43 AM
I will meet you in Denver!!! :woot:

JoeHall
01-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Hi Matt, Not sure if we are going yet, but think that's a great idea. If we go, hopefully the wife will drive her GT and I will drive the 56J. A caravan would increase the fun & safety factors, and likely encourage more folks to drive their Studes to the meet. Many folks are squeamish about breakdowns, availability of parts on the road, etc., and that is understandable. I can think of many positives about a caravan, and not one negative.

Well, on second thought, road speed would need to be discussed. Driving the 56J from Niagara Falls to SB last year, I passed four Studes along the way. All were C/K, and none were going over about 50 MPH. To my way of thinking, that can be dangerous on the Interstate. But if that is what the caravan's majority preferred, a few special provisions my be in order. For example, a large, triangular, reflective sign on the rear vehicle, kinda like a farm implement or Amish buggy uses. Or maybe just stay off the Interstate, etc.

Maybe we all need to talk about this more, and hopefully put something together.

You have all the smart ideas, probably that's why you were an Orficer :)

63r2hawk
01-05-2013, 01:02 PM
These cars were made for todays highway speeds. I am thinking 60 mph to 70 mph. would be a good start. We would never get there doing 50 mph. Thanks for your imput Joe. I think it would be safer and more fun for everyone. Talk Studes the whole way!!! Thanks to cell phones there is no need for CBs anymore. Lets make it happen! Be one trip to remember.....

r1lark
01-05-2013, 05:49 PM
These cars were made for todays highway speeds. I am thinking 60 mph to 70 mph. would be a good start. We would never get there doing 50 mph. Thanks for your imput Joe. I think it would be safer and more fun for everyone. Talk Studes the whole way!!! Thanks to cell phones there is no need for CBs anymore. Lets make it happen! Be one trip to remember.....

We caravaned up to the Dearborn meet from NC in the '90s. A '61 Hawk, '62 GT, '64 GT, and an Avanti. Speeds were usually in the 70 to 80 mph range, just to keep up with traffic. 50 mph would be downright scary on the interstates!

I always loved the CBs when caravaning, since everyone could hear what was being said. We would keep up a banter between us, and with the various truckers. Cell phones just ain't the same :D

jimmijim8
01-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Talking on the cell phone and driving ain't me and driving my Stude over 65 ain't eiver. cheers jimmijim

63r2hawk
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
I was thinking if you got separated from the pack ...... all you would have to do is call and see where the pack was.....