Neil Young & Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Young & Studebakers

Musician, Neil Young, loves all forms of transportation. He currently owns over 35 cars in his CA garage. His current book, "Waging Heavy Peace", pictures a 1973 Eagle tour bus with a Studebaker car roof fitted to the top as an observation deck. (circa 1978).
    According to the book, his latest purchase is a 1963 Avanti which will take up residence in his "Feelgoods Garage" upon completion.
    He was also instrumental helping save the Lionel train company from bankruptcy & has an elaborate layout of his own.
    As a side note, he is also clean & sober for the last 2 years.

I read the same book, and was pleased by both of those things. Good to have more fans of Studebakers out there, especially a high profile one like Neil Young.

Comment

Long may he run!

Comment

I saw him on TV awhile back...he was at that time big into retrofitting old cars (at huge cost) with new "greener" powertrains. I seem to recall a 59 Ford with a Nissan engine or somesuch.
        (Not a terrible idea if you want to bastardize history and have a wallet the size of his).

Hopefully, that was before the two year "clean & sober" period you mentioned and he's seen the error of his ways.
        Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Studebakers and Lionels Great combo!
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I saw him on TV awhile back...he was at that time big into retrofitting old cars (at huge cost) with new "greener" powertrains. I seem to recall a 59 Ford with a Nissan engine or somesuch.
            It was a '59 Lincoln, and the green powertrain was batteries and industrial electric motors.
            A fellow here in town built it for Neil, who called it the "Linc/Volt".

It caught on fire last year in his shop and the project has been shelved.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

According to his book, the Lincvolt project is still on. The generator will be powered by biomass. He states that one of the benefits of cellulosic ethanol is that greenhouse gas emissions are reduced by 85% over gasoline. Young states that "Lincvolt will be clean, powerful & sexy". The Lincvolt was not destroyed & the rear deck & quarter panels were grafted from a 58 Lincoln parts car his wife bought him for a birthday present.

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
                Musician, Neil Young, loves all forms of transportation. He currently owns over 35 cars in his CA garage. His current book, "Waging Heavy Peace", pictures a 1973 Eagle tour bus with a Studebaker car roof fitted to the top as an observation deck. (circa 1978).
                According to the book, his latest purchase is a 1963 Avanti which will take up residence in his "Feelgoods Garage" upon completion.
                He was also instrumental helping save the Lionel train company from bankruptcy & has an elaborate layout of his own.
                As a side note, he is also clean & sober for the last 2 years.
                That's terrific! We'll keep an eye out for that Avanti.
                We used to see him occasionally down around La Honda / Skyline Dr. during morning motorcycle rides. We were especially stoked to see him performing an impromptu acoustic jam session at the San Gregorio General Store a while back.
                Andy
                62 GT

Comment

Sex, Drugs, Rock-n-Roll and Studebakers. Sounds like he finally gave up the right one.

Bob

Comment

Yes, Good on him.
                    I mean he's probably only what,... 70 or so?

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    Sex, Drugs, Rock-n-Roll and Studebakers. Sounds like he finally gave up the right one.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X