Is this oil OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this oil OK?

Castrol GTX API Service Cl-4, Ch-4, CG-4/SL SAE 15W-40?
    Then out of the circle it says API service Cl-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL, SJ .

I assume the SJ is different from the CJ. Will this be safe?

It should be.

The main thing is the amount of ZDDP. I run Castrol GTX 20W-50W.

Comment

Where did you find it?

CI-4 was phased out in favor of CI-4plus about 3-4 years ago. The interim change (between CI-4 and CJ-4) was to "fix" an issue with some turbocharged diesels, not relevant to us "gassers". Both CI-4s have about 4 times the ZDDP as CJ-4.
      (Incidently, the CJ-4 has about 10? times the "zinc" of the original SA/SB/SC grade that was recommended when our babies were new.)

Buy the case, quickly.

Again, where did you find it? I would like to get a case. I no longer have a diesel car, so I did not have a stock of the older stuff.

Terry, North Texas
      1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
      (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
      This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
      2000 VW Jetta GLS
      1999 Toyota rice burner

Comment

FYI,

"C*-4" the "C" is for "compression ignition", i.e. diesel
        "S*" the "S" is for "spark ignition", i.e. gasoline, kerosene, propane, et.al. using a spark plug.

It is a minor miracle of witches-brew chemistry that we can have "oils" that are both diesel and "gasser" compatible.

Terry, North Texas
        1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
        This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

2000 VW Jetta GLS
        1999 Toyota rice burner

Comment

I found the oil in PEP BOYS in Oklahoma City,OK. They have many 4 qt containers of the 15w-40 Castrol that I described in my question.

Comment

When you say 10 X the zinc as the old SA,SB, & SC oils that sounds good. However, have other elements like K or P been removed from the old oils , hince the increase of zinc to 10X the amount contained in the SA,SB,& SC oils? I do not know . (The increase in ZN being to make up for loss of K, P ,Or what ever.)

Comment

With only one exception, I have never seen anyone indicate that the new oils, especially the diesel rated ones to be anything but superior in all respects to the SA, SB, SC... I have been preparing an article for several months for either the Avanti or Rolling Wheels Mags which summarizes the SAE, and other test literature on this.

The exception? Well, "worse" in this case depends on where you are coming from. This much higher detergency of the new oils, especially the diesel ones will clean much, if not all that old gunk, most varnish, etc. If your seals and/or rings are being held together by gunks/varnish, you may be looking at that overhaul that has been ignored for too many years.

In my case, switching to 15w-40 CI-4Plus has quieted things down, possible increase of mpg (not positive yet), with no increase of the rear oil seal leak.

cheers!

quote:Originally posted by curt

When you say 10 X the zinc as the old SA,SB, & SC oils that sounds good. However, have other elements like K or P been removed from the old oils , hince the increase of zinc to 10X the amount contained in the SA,SB,& SC oils? I do not know . (The increase in ZN being to make up for loss of K, P ,Or what ever.)

Terry, North Texas
              1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065

2000 VW Jetta GLS
              1999 Toyota rice burner

Comment

What is "Rolling Wheels"?

quote:Originally posted by 63Avanti

I have been preparing an article for several months for either the Avanti or Rolling Wheels Mags which summarizes the SAE, and other test literature on this.
                StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

check out the article " late breaking news from The Progressive Farmer"

Terry, North Texas
                  1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065

2000 VW Jetta GLS
                  1999 Toyota rice burner

Comment

Whwee is the URL for Progressive farmer? I saw it yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                    X