Finally, Proof: STP means Scientifically Treated Petroleum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, Proof: STP means Scientifically Treated Petroleum

'Never can tell what you'll find while looking for something else.

From the 1962 Lark Accessory brochure comes definitive proof that STP stands for Scientifically Treated Petroleum...or at least it did in the 1960s....

Front Cover:

This brochure has no page numbers, but this is the third page from the end:

Well, I'm glad that's finally settled! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Yeah, Bob, but that is only impressive to the few of us that are influenced by "Facts!"

I must admit...I had heard that it stood for Scientifically Tuned Petroleum and am guilty of repeating that as fact.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
      Yeah, Bob, but that is only impressive to the few of us that are influenced by "Facts!"
      Ah, yes; a shrinking number in the world of automotive trivia for sure, John. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Geez Bob, you didn't know that? Even I did, and no one can accuse me of getting greasy under a Studebaker hood!
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

What they ment to say was Studebaker Tested Product...
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Even two years before that: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...scientifically

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
              Geez Bob, you didn't know that? Even I did, and no one can accuse me of getting greasy under a Studebaker hood!
              Oh, I've known it forever, Bill, and have never stated that it stood for anything else. Heck, I probably read it on a can of the product before Chemical Compounds was a division of Studebaker Corporation! But to find it in print was heartening.

Of course, I could have just photographed the rear panel on an unopened can of the product I have from the Studebaker era:

Oh, well.... BP

Comment

Now we have to find out what is in the Twin Traction Lubricant! <G>

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                  Now we have to find out what is in the Twin Traction Lubricant! <G>
                  and Hudsonite wet clutch fluid.

Craig

Comment

I have a company letterhead detailing the chemical formulation. I assume it was part of some sort of paperwork filed with transportation departments as it included packaging quantities including 55 gal. drums. How'd you like to try to pour a 55 gal. drum out with the weather we're having, lol.
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, 'STP' has come a long way since the first can was sold by Polsky's Auto Parts Store.

Comment

I seem to remember Studebaker having a contest on what STP stood for. They gave the example of "Studebaker's Tickled Pink". All I know is I didn't win! I do remember it being scientifically treated petroleum though.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

When I worked at the Hamilton Factory in the mid fifties the actual name for STP was "Scientifically Tested Products" because they made stuff other than engine lubrication.
                          Peter Sant

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but in the mid to late 1960's we had STP stickers stuck on our bikes, mini bikes, cars, motorcycles and garage walls. To us it said "our things go faster" with STP stickers.

Comment

Originally posted by JEWELL View Post
                              To us it said "our things go faster" with STP stickers.
                              ....as did National Lampoon in their 'Ten Steps to Bad Hot Rodding'. That was #8, IIRC.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X