• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1963 Lark trunk lock question

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050091.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1737088shown with pin and looseness of adapter due to small pin in large groove.

Name:	P1050077.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1737089View of retainer holes

Name:	P1050079.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1737090With adapter out

Name:	P1050082.jpg
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1737091shown with pin (bent to get into hole and stay in)

Any help would be much appreciated. (Ps. As a first time user, I appologize in advance if I did not post according to the rules)

Colin Meskell

Looks like you have a 1961 lock assembly installed in your 1963. This is not a problem - they are actually less likely to fail than '62 - '63 style. They are intended to be staked together as an assembly and thus need to be replaced as an assembly. You are in Oregon - but what area? I am in Damascus (near Portland) and I stock these lock assemblies new. Send me a Private Message if you would like.

Comment

The trunk lid of the 63 is different than the 59-61 and use a lock housing with the longer arm and they do break off, also there is the notch that fits and holds the housing in place, then the large snap in 2 finger clip.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
        The trunk lid of the 63 is different than the 59-61 and use a lock housing with the longer arm and they do break off, also there is the notch that fits and holds the housing in place, then the large snap in 2 finger clip.
        Yes, but the 1961 assembly works very well in a '62 - '63 trunk lid and does not have that long arm to break off. The '61 style can still can trip the latch just fine.

Comment

I had suspected that this was a '61-'62 lock from my research, but being a CASO I didn't want to throw away a perfectly good adapter and housing just because I was missing a roll pin (or some thing). Having worked on several older non-Studebakers, I always try to reuse what I can so that the limited supply of parts isn't used up for others who really need them. If no one here knows what the pin should look like, I might just fashion something I believe will work. If that fails, I might bite the bullet and go ahead and buy new.
          Good to know there is a potential parts source near me!

Comment

I think you are looking for a pin that doesn't exist. The rotating part of the assembly is held in by two tabs that are part of the die cast zinc housing. The tabs are formed into the groove on the rotating part. It looks like the tabs on your part are broken off, leaving two openings that you are thinking are for a cross pin. The single very small hole in the housing is there to release the lock cylinder assembly from the housing.

Comment

got it! So during assembly they stamped these tabs into the housing to hold the adapter in place. Makes sense as it would be cheaper to assemble that way. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X