Car shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car shipping

Putting the question out to the wider audience. I'd like to get an idea of shipping costs for a Lark from Seattle (ish) to Reno, NV.
    Has someone shipped a car recently and could recommend some (a) car hauler to call for a quote?

Thank you.

Leo,
    If you use the "Advanced Search" function in the upper right of this page, you will get a huge majority of recommendations for Peg Trucking. Peg has an affinity for Studebakers. She treats us well. She is also a member of this forum. Screen name is Pegaleg.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hi Leo,

It cost me $650 a year and a half ago to ship my 53 from San Diego up to Oregon. That's a bit longer distance than Seattle to Reno, but then again, it was a straight shot up I-5 so probably easier to arrange.

If it were summer, I'd say go for the adventure. But winter with a few mountain passes in the way might be a bit too much adventure!
      Dave Nevin
      Corvallis, OR
      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Thank you. Excellent. And yes, this time of year, there's adventure and there's going off the road with wild animals eventually eating out your soft innards

Plus, there's no way I'm flying to Seattle, driving a 289 back to Reno with an overnight stop for that much less than $650.

Comment

I would not use a company called DAS. I sold my 64 Convertible to a couple in California and it took them 3 months to get the car. I am not sure of all the details but it appeared to me they were trying to get more $ out of the buyer as the company low bid the move. They also did some damage during the move.
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Having done this a few months ago....my experience: Don't expect the trucking carrier to deliver your vehicle when you want it. Expect several weeks to a month or maybe more. This time of year may actually make waiting easier...(?). I responded on eBay to their suggestion to locate a trucker. They put you on to several brokers who quickly become pains in the butt. I selected the lowest broker's price (actually several were within $100. of each other). I did not select Peg, they were $400. more for the shipping. Though the connection from seller to trucker was bumpy.....the car came in 1 week. No problemas....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              Having done this a few months ago....my experience: Don't expect the trucking carrier to deliver your vehicle when you want it. Expect several weeks to a month or maybe more. This time of year may actually make waiting easier...(?). I responded on eBay to their suggestion to locate a trucker. They put you on to several brokers who quickly become pains in the butt. I selected the lowest broker's price (actually several were within $100. of each other). I did not select Peg, they were $400. more for the shipping. Though the connection from seller to trucker was bumpy.....the car came in 1 week. No problemas....
              Thanks for the comments. It does make sense that shipping something like a car might end up not a direct route and it's good to be forewarned. Did you ask for an ETA, or did they give you one at some point in the process?

It does make sense that there are fewer shipments laying around this time of year for easy pickup, so fewer jobs out there should mean fewer delays along the way.

I guess watching that A&E show is also good to get an idea of what could go wrong with your shipment, or what might go wrong if you pick a lowball shipper! For sure, after watching that show, I wouldn't want any of those goobers to ship a letter for me.

Comment

Leo, I have shipped many cars and trucks almost every were and on the west coast I use a fellow named Dave Brown he lives in Or. I put in a call and waiting to hear back from him with a number that I can pass along to you if you still need or are interested.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Thank you, yes, I would definitely appreciate having options available.

Comment

Be aware that a LOT of the available enclosed car hauler trailers will all be down in Arizona in January at the whoopdeedoo big auto auctions.
                    Best not be in too big a hurry until February...
                    Just sayin'....
                    BTDT
                    Jeff
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                      Thank you, yes, I would definitely appreciate having options available.

Leo, check your PM....Bob
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

In a few days I might have a StudeFriendly option for you...
                        I'll need to know what it is you are shipping though.
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

you can list it on UShip.com and get multiple bids, I've done it that way with fairly good sucess.
                          Mark Riesch
                          New Bern, NC

Comment

Give Peg a call. 1600 miles cost me 950.00 Car was here within 5 days. No bull, putting you off transport. cheers jimmijim
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                            X