Price of and R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of and R1

Is $1000.00 and good price for a R1 Jet Thrust and Power shift transmission? Not sure of year but listing says was running when crashed a GT Hawk.

Maybe...if they are both known good. A Powershift core is probably worth $300 or so. An R1 core for someone who needs an R1 stamped block is probably worth about the same.

If you are thinking of them as replacements for your engine and trans...an R1 has a real hard time running on today's pump gas due to its high compression. I've owned 2 and I have had to take out a lot of timing which took the performance down to a regular 289 (or less). A Powershift is a 3 speed, no overdrive, trans that starts out in 2nd gear. No match for what you already have.

I'd determine what is wrong with yours first. Push rod, rod bearing, flex plate...? Is the compression good? Was it running good, not burning oil, good power before the problem? Rebuilding a Stude V8 is probably $3-5k depending on how much of the work you can do yourself. If it just needs a repair to be as good as new, that would be my choice.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The price is a deal in a heart beat if it really is a R-1 engine and all there AFB, with right manifold, duel point distributor, power shift trans and get the shift linkage if at all possible, also the stock air cleaner would be nice, both as cores are worth more than you might think, ask me I know I have sold a few and also bought a couple.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Good advice on checking to confirm all the R1 are present.

On a used engine, yer pays yer money and takes yer chances. How many decades ago was it last run? We Stude owners operate on a different relative calendar system where time passes more slowly than the rest of the world, but despite our selective memory, entropy never sleeps.

Of the many "running good when parked/pulled/crashed" engines I've seen over the years, some had been sitting for more years than the owners recollection admitted. Most weren't anything I'd install and drive away. Usually 99% need valve stem seals, 75% need a valve job and 50% need a complete rebuild.

And that's the good ones. Some had frogs in the oil pan, mice nests in the intake manifold, dirt dobber nests in the exhaust.

Then, there's the "genuine R2" I'd been talking to the seller for weeks and it got better with every conversation. When I finally drove a hundred miles to pick up the engine, I could tell from twenty feet away it was just old junk. The four nuts on the rocker covers were my first clue. Just to be sure, I pulled a spark plug and rusty water gushed out. "Well, darn it, guess that old shed roof leaked more than I thought."

Your results may vary. Returns based on past history and are no guarantee of future results in this fund.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 57transtar guy View Post
          Is $1000.00 and good price for a R1 Jet Thrust and Power shift transmission? Not sure of year but listing says was running when crashed a GT Hawk.
          It the Gt still there and could be had? if so then the whole package might be worth looking in to, if true JT powered GT hawk more value there than most know.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Working...
          X