PDA

View Full Version : York Hotel

stude44
01-02-2013, 04:25 PM
If anyone is planning to go to the SDC flea market in York, PA, my advice is to not stay at the Holiday Inn. Last year I had $500 stolen out of a suitcase while at the flea market. It could only have been taken by one of the women who clean the room. The hotel did nothing about it. Since it was cash, they would not cover it. I will never stay again at a place where the help goes through my luggage.

raoul5788
01-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear that, but YOU left $500 in cash in a hotel room? Really? Not very smart.

studefan
01-02-2013, 05:36 PM
No one should be going through your luggage at a hotel room. The worst part is that the hotel management did nothing about it. As stude44 says, stay away from that place.

2R5
01-02-2013, 05:54 PM
I've stayed in that hotel and probably will again , I kind of agree with both the previous postings.......no one should be going through your luggage but leaving money in a hotel room .....really ?

Gunslinger
01-02-2013, 06:32 PM
It's not your fault...it's the fault of the thief or thieves. It's not like you left your money sitting on a table in a public place...it was in a room rented and paid for by you where you have a right to privacy and a reasonable expectation of security of your belongings.

I was chastised several years ago and told it was my own fault for some cretin going into my car at a car show and stealing my camera that was placed under other items. That did not go well with me...being told I was responsible for someone stealing my property was over the line.

DEEPNHOCK
01-02-2013, 09:15 PM
I find all of this kind of awkward.
Sure.. It's maddening to get ripped off.
But it was avoidable.
I'll bet you a half eaten donut that the thieving employee had worked there less than a year, and doesn't work there now.
Betcha there was a closet safe in there too.
I've stayed in that very motel a bunch of times.
Sure it sucks when something is stolen.
But.... It was avoidable.
Sure the thief was a bad person.
But it was avoidable.
All thieves are bad people...just looking for opportunities.
I travel most of the year and stay a LOT in Holiday Inn's.
I have never gotten ripped off (yet/so far) while staying at a motel.
One reason is I don't leave anything valuable in the room.
Don't leave it out in the open in the car, either.
What happened to you could happen anywhere, and with the same reaction, and the same result.
Did you file a police report?
Did you follow up with the manager? The owner? The franchise? The better business bureau?
(If you did...good for you!)
Not nitpicking, but you came on the forum slamming a local business 10 months after something happened to you.
Is that place still owned by the same people?
On the bright side. I know there will probably be rooms available at that Holiday Inn.

jclary
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Yep...some good comments here. Some, more articulate than others. I wouldn't say you are not smart. Some of the dumbest things I have ever seen were done by some pretty smart people. I tend to believe you were a victim of a lapse in judgement. You might have thought that your money would be safer in your luggage than in your pocket while rubbing up against some irresistible NOS parts at the swap meet...less than wise judgement.

I have always said that the highest tuition of any school is the "college of real-world experience." In this case, you have gained in wisdom and are much smarter. However, it did cost you $500 plus the cost of the room.

If you decide to attend this year...perhaps we could split the cost of the room. Two people smart enough not to leave valuables in their room should be a good deal!:)

63t-cab
01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Is'nt it really avoidable "once"? you say you never had anything ripped off at a motel,but have you had anything stolen at a motel ? maybe Jim had bad experiences with such ?
I find all of this kind of awkward.
Sure.. It's maddening to get ripped off.
But it was avoidable.
I'll bet you a half eaten donut that the thieving employee had worked there less than a year, and doesn't work there now.
Betcha there was a closet safe in there too.
I've stayed in that very motel a bunch of times.
Sure it sucks when something is stolen.
But.... It was avoidable.
Sure the thief was a bad person.
But it was avoidable.
All thieves are bad people...just looking for opportunities.
I travel most of the year and stay a LOT in Holiday Inn's.
I have never gotten ripped off (yet/so far) while staying at a motel.
One reason is I don't leave anything valuable in the room.
Don't leave it out in the open in the car, either.
What happened to you could happen anywhere, and with the same reaction, and the same result.
Did you file a police report?
Did you follow up with the manager? The owner? The franchise? The better business bureau?
(If you did...good for you!)
Not nitpicking, but you came on the forum slamming a local business 10 months after something happened to you.
Is that place still owned by the same people?
On the bright side. I know there will probably be rooms available at that Holiday Inn.

rockne10
01-03-2013, 12:06 AM
I lost my high school class ring in a very upscale hotel in Hollywood, Florida many decades ago. I believe the maid took it. I blame myself for not keeping it on my finger. Forty years later I remember the lesson and have probably not suffered greatly by the absence of the ring. I never did purchase a college class ring.

8E45E
01-03-2013, 12:24 AM

Yes, Jeff, I bet you're right as others have stated they've been satisfied with the service. Unfortunately, there were a few victims before this individual was caught.

Craig

mike cenit
01-03-2013, 07:22 AM
This country is a melting pot, it's no different than when the Italians, Irish, Chinese and Jews, came in 50, 100, 150 years ago.
Time is a great healier. Like it or not it is what it is.

Stu Chapman
01-03-2013, 11:50 AM
If anyone is planning to go to the SDC flea market in York, PA, my advice is to not stay at the Holiday Inn. Last year I had $500 stolen out of a suitcase while at the flea market. It could only have been taken by one of the women who clean the room. The hotel did nothing about it. Since it was cash, they would not cover it. I will never stay again at a place where the help goes through my luggage.

The most important point in Jeff's comments is DID YOU FILE A POLICE REPORT? Had you done so I would like to think a proper investigation would have taken place.
Stu Chapman

raoul5788
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
To clarify my post, I didn't mean the op isn't smart. I meant leaving money in a hotel room isn't smart.

showbizkid
01-05-2013, 12:33 AM
I have edited a couple of posts here at the request of a couple of people. Let's leave the racial component out of our discussions, please.

jimmijim8
01-05-2013, 04:29 AM
Gettysburg has nice rooms available just but a few minutes away. jimmijim

LarkTruck
01-05-2013, 06:54 AM
I have edited a couple of posts here at the request of a couple of people. Let's leave the racial component out of our discussions, please.

Thank you Mr. Moderator.
JS

JoeHall
01-05-2013, 07:36 AM
This thread has caused me to re-think motel security. I have stayed in many motels, and never had anything stolen; have never left money in a room, but have recently left a computer, camera, etc. That bears re-thinking.

My biggest concern lately has been bed bugs. We are hearing more and more of them; initially most reports were about motels, but more recently hospitals are having major problems with them. YIKES

george o
01-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Never stayed there but have stayed in a few of the others I would NOT recommend. Best western used to be the meet hotel and might still be. Just my opinion it gets worse each year! Tried super 8 by the interstate. Arrived late as I told them I would, reserved with a credit card and upon arrival no room at the inn(I guess like the Seinfeld episodes they really don't know what a reservation is".)
Truly sorry you lost $500.00 but think I will try my luck there this year unless a better suggestion comes up. I think it is really close to the fairgrounds too.

Take care

George o

larkregal62
01-06-2013, 05:44 PM
As one of the Studebaker York Swap Meet Planners and organizers I am interested in all these comments and questions. If others also feel that the Best Western, which is still the Meet hotel, has slipped in quality, please post here or phone me at 717-574-1529 and I will personally call them and rectify the situation. If any of you potential attendees have a suggestion for a closer or better venue also let me know. You are our ears and without you telling us at Keystone of any problems or concerns you may have we cannot continue to upgrade your total experience. Please do not be bashful, we want this meet to continue to become better each year, and with your added input this should happen. As has been said, a police report should have been made and satisfactorily followed up upon. Had you made it known to me I would have personally followed up with the management at the Holiday and with the York Regional Police Dept. As a side note, Thank you to all who have purchased tickets for the 1960 Hawk, our 2013 car-----less than 175 tickets remain--- they may be ordered by following the instructions in Turning Wheels or by calling me directly. When these tickets sell out , tickets for the 2014 car will immediately be available. Watch our website www.sdckeystoneregion.com for details Thanks in advance for your positive input or suggestions for the great Studebaker Swap Meet. Gordon F. Kertzel,111 Raffle Car Chairman Keystone Region Chapter

george o
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Gordon:
Thanks for the reply. I have enjoyed the meet at York for many years. Will always support it! I mean no disrespect about the hotel, just my personal opinion. I don't spend that much time at the hotel. Just do not think best western is as well kept as it once was. There is nothing specific I can put my finger on to mention.

As mentioned, I will attend and enjoy it a lot. Look forward to it every year

Take care

George o

larkregal62
01-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks George, We are really interested in all input. As with all events, it is becoming difficult to get club members to take part in planning , helping, etc. Input may help encourage our members to come forth---- Unfortunately, if the trend does not change a 40 year event may become a fond memory

stude44
01-13-2013, 05:25 PM
A police report was filed. I reported it to the desk as soon as it was discovered and they told me I had to wait until the supervisor came in the next day. The next morning I went to the desk and the police were called. Nothing ever came of the police report. I did not intentionally leave the money in the room. I accidentally took the wrong bag to the flea market with me and left the one with the money in the room.

larkregal62
01-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Stude 44--- Sorry for your bad experience. As I said, if I had been aware of the situation in a little more expedient time frame, I would have been glad to follow up locally for you. I'm afraid that at this point, 10 months later, it is too late for me to get answers. Hopefully, this year's experience will be much more positive for you. Please, if anything unpleasant or illegal happens, to you or others using this forum, advise me or any other officers of Keystone and someone will try to assist you on a local basis--- Gordon