1962 Signal-Stat Warning Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Signal-Stat Warning Lights

I purchased a 1962 Rural Router Lark brochure and when it arrived today noticed an option called Signal-Stat Warning Lights.

"Alternating front and rear signal lights warn oncoming cars when you stop. Practical, low-cost safety feature no Rural Route mail carrier should be without."

Does anyone recall what this was? Whilst I see lights of this name (brand?) listed on eBay, this appears to be more of an early Hazard Light switch system.

Can anyone elaborate and do any vendors stock them (only kidding).

Have personally never heard mention of them before.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

I believe you mean Flare-Stat four-way flashers. Yes, they were made by Signal-stat, and all the Zip-Vans had them.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, Signal-Stat is used in the brochure, will look it up on Google.

Now to find the one Studebaker used and hopefully installation instructions. Then again there may be a more modern unit?
      Last edited by avantilover; 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM.
      John Clements

Comment

I have one installed on my Avanti. I'll check to see if I still have the instruction sheet.

Comment

Isn't it, basicly, 4 way flashers? I think my grandfater got these at Studebaker, where he worked, for the volunteer firefighter's vehicles in his rual communitee. He was the fire chief for many years while still working at Plant 8. I'm sure that a lot of the parts on those old firetrucks and emergengy vehicles were from Studebaker.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Those lighted Red pull knob Flare-Stat 4 way Flashers were also Studebaker AC Accessory Kits, mostly for '64-'66 Lark Types to fit IN the dash on the right of the Light and Instr. switches. The optional on '64's, Parking Brake warning light goes on the left. They also work on other models.

The Signal Stat aftermarket units can go UNDER the dash as well as IN the dash.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Guys, I'll await further details from WCP then it's how to get one - maybe eBay then again how safe would the wiring be after all these years?
              John Clements

Comment

Studebaker International used to carry the older style, the chrome box style with the metal tab you pull out to make it work. I can't seem to find it in their catalog. It had an AC part number. Maybe they were for '62 and older vehicles. They weren't cheap. They might have been around $75.
                I bought two of them at different swaps for $50 each and one was sealed and neither one had instructions but it was pretty easy to figure it out. It works fine on my 64. I mounted it to the left underneath the dash to the big metal bar. I did find a 64 style one but it's missing the flasher and I don't know if I want to drill a hole in the dash for it.
                Studebaker International was selling some universal 4 ways during the International meet pretty cheap. I bought one but they sold out really fast.

Comment

I have a bid on one and will hopefully win it. Looks interesting and will be pleased to have it.
                  John Clements

Comment

I have had no luck in finding the instruction sheet for the Flare-Stat installation. I'm positive I had one, but it is not in all the "logical" places where I might have filed it.

Comment

No worries Bill, hopefully something will arrive from Israel with the switch that I purchased. If not it can't be too hard to work out.
                      John Clements

Comment

I have a newer type 4 way on my 63 Avanti the red knob lights up when its on.
                        I also have on that i am going to put on my 62 Champ truck, bought them on ebay.

Comment

FYI, the Flarestats are listed in section 621 of the 59-64 parts book.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look when I get to the car again as the manuals are in the workshop with it.
                            John Clements

Comment

Working...
                            X