Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Starlight coupe at the drag races 1964-65?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Starlight coupe at the drag races 1964-65?

I just posted a NHRA (Drag Racing) Indy program for 1965 on Ebay. It is the 3rd of a dozen or so that I plan to list in coming weeks. The photo below was one of several in this the 10th anniversary issue. There among the iconic Willys coupes, Anglias and other "hot" machinery is a Studebaker Starlight (#648) running in M Stock class. The photo could be from 1964 or '65? Anyone know the competitor? Could be from most any NHRA track.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NHRA pic '65.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1737080
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    I just posted a NHRA (Drag Racing) Indy program for 1965 on Ebay. It is the 3rd of a dozen or so that I plan to list in coming weeks. The photo below was one of several in this the 10th anniversary issue. There among the iconic Willys coupes, Anglias and other "hot" machinery is a Studebaker Starlight (#648) running in M Stock class. The photo could be from 1964 or '65? Anyone know the competitor? Could be from most any NHRA track.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19921[/ATTACH]
    Absolutely, Dick. That is none other than the famous Ted Harbit.

Ted will be able to date the photo as to exact year, but 1965 or 1966, as you suggest, is about right. (His class was not K/S for very long after 1962.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-02-2013, 07:04 AM. Reason: added earlier photo
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

WOW! Great picture! Talk about capturing "Americana" of the '60's...

As much as I have come to loathe GM... that '60 Pontiac in the foreground tugs at my "days gone by" longing. To me, one of the best ever offered for the era. I think it was BP that offered a thread about "cars that disappeared" at some time in the past. This is one that you don't see very often. Although they were considered by many as behemoths, they were fairly well balanced and even the two barreled 389's were capable of surprising "get up and go!"
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Question, Dick: You said this "could be from any NHRA track" and also that it was the 1965 Indy [Indianapolis] Program. ???

If it is indeed the 1965 Indianapolis "Big Go" over Labor Day weekend, then the photograph would have been taken at Indianapolis Raceway Park. I've studied the photo carefully and cannot determine with certainty that it is Indianapolis Raceway Park, but 'don't see any reason it isn't, either. It could well be. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was there for the nationals in 65 or 66. My future BIL had some passes that allowed us to climb the scoring tower. In those days the top fuel dragsters spun their wheels at the start. Between the tire smoke and the exhaust the tower was pretty well obliterated from view.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Question, Dick: You said this "could be from any NHRA track" and also that it was the 1965 Indy [Indianapolis] Program. ???

If it is indeed the 1965 Indianapolis "Big Go" over Labor Day weekend, then the photograph would have been taken at Indianapolis Raceway Park. I've studied the photo carefully and cannot determine with certainty that it is Indianapolis Raceway Park, but 'don't see any reason it isn't, either. It could well be. BP
            Bob; The photo is in the 1965 NHRA Nationals program so it could not have been taken at the '65 Nationals. Either earlier in '65 or my guess in '64. I had a hunch it was Ted's car but wasn't sure so posted it for everyone's enjoyment. I made all the NHRA Nationals from 1959 (Detroit) until the late 70s (at Raceway park).
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              Bob; The photo is in the 1965 NHRA Nationals program so it could not have been taken at the '65 Nationals. Either earlier in '65 or my guess in '64. I had a hunch it was Ted's car but wasn't sure so posted it for everyone's enjoyment.
              Right, Dick; of course.

I'm so intrigued by that photo that I'm sending this thread's link to Ted and asking for his input. Hopefully, he will post shortly. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Right, Dick; of course.

I'm so intrigued by that photo that I'm sending this thread's link to Ted and asking for his input. Hopefully, he will post shortly. BP

Thanks for the heads up Bob. I'm pretty sure this has to be at the US Nationals in Indy as I don't recall being at another strip with this many in attendance unless it would have been the Summer Nationals in Englishtown, NJ, but I think that was after the car had been painted dark blue.

I can't say for sure what year but again, I know it was painted blue around 1966 but can't say for sure just when. My best guess is this picture was in 1964 but could have been 1965.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I may have some photos around that will verify more exact but unfortunately, I'm not nearly organized any more like some people. If I find anything to confirm year and place, I'll post it.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                X