Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...And Now He's Gone: Harold R. "Cap" Johnson Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...And Now He's Gone: Harold R. "Cap" Johnson Jr.

'Sad to report that our currently-famous Studebaker Engine Engineer Harold R. "Cap" Johnson Jr. passed away on the last day of 2012. Tim Lloyd called yesterday from Bloomington with the news; I waited until we had a formal obituary to post and link this morning before posting.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Harold-Johnson&lc=7162&pid=162069710&mid=5362773&locale=en-US

Fortunately, SDC was able to shower "Cap" with all those 100th Birthday Cards on the occasion of his centennial birthday just six weeks ago, as discussed here and in The Co-Operator:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=johnson

The February Turning Wheels is going to press this week. In the February Co-Operator is a nice photo and report of Tim Lloyd taking all those cards to Cap on Thanksgiving Day. Ann Turner was able to hold the copy so we'll be able to squeeze in a last-minute announcement of Mr. Johnson's passing at the end of that report. (Thanks, Ann.)

Man knows not his time. How wonderful that Cap was able to bask in the friendship of all the SDCers who responded to our call for 100th Birthday Cards, and was also able to understand and enjoy the cards and greetings when Tim Lloyd brought them by. Thanks again to all who participated.

RIP, "Cap." BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Sad news indeed, R.I.P. Harold.
    JS
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

When reading an obituary like Mr. Johnson's...I can't help but think of one of my favorite movies, "It's a Wonderful Life."

In this case, a man who mastered the slide rule and performed engineering wonders without benefit of computers...served his country as part of the greatest generation, and his community through his church...talk about multiplying your "life force" in an unmeasurable volume...truly a wonderful life!

I didn't know him, but have benefited from his accomplishments for years. Yesterday, I tinkered with three different cars that have components influenced by this man. In addition, I spent much of the day moving around and working on several Studebaker engines that I am sure he was instrumental in their design and creation. Ton's of fun...

THANK YOU (MR.) "CAP!" WELL DONE!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

RIP Mr Johnson. 100 years old ain't too shabby.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Sad news, but a long life well lead. I knew Harold pretty well. We worked together on the extensive article on the Flat Four that appeared in the Sept 2005 TW. I included a more "automotive related" biography of Harold in that issue on page 8. Harold also wrote an extensive article on the V8 camshaft problems (1951) in the Oct 1987 TW for which he received the SDC's Harold Churchill award. At the 2002 SDC Intl meet in South Bend Harold accepted my invitation to serve on a panel with three other long time employees. I had the pleasure of moderating that discussion and chatting with Harold at lunch after. I know Harold had a '37 Dictator. He chose this particular car to keep since it was the model being assembled when he started his Studebaker employment on Dec 27, 1936. He had owned 10 Studebakers in all, his favorite being the '62 GT Hawk.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Sorry to hear this Bob, but I'm glad I got my card into Tim to give to him for his 100th birthday, and I'm glad the other folks who participated, did, particularly when Tim said how much he enjoyed them.

Love that pic of him still 'turning a wrench' on one of your '64's, Bob!
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Bob, but glad we got to pay him respect before he went, instead of after (as is too often the case).

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                Sorry to hear this, Bob, but glad we got to pay him respect before he went, instead of after (as is too often the case).
                'Couldn't agree more, Clark; you never know when you're gonna' do something just in the nick of time....and we nicked it pretty close!
                "'Gotter' dun," though, as Larry the Cable Guy would say. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                X