PDA

View Full Version : GT Hawk hood props

Scott
02-20-2006, 06:35 PM
I have a 1962 hawk with air conditioning. Great, but it's really inconvenient because the stock prop rod for the hood can't sit in its base hole and clip the way it is supposed to. I have to keep the rod in the car or in the trunk. If I try to lay it down where it is supposed to go in front of the radiator, it hits the AC core mounting bolts in front of the radiator. I've seen other cars that seem to work fine with the regular rod, even with AC, but mine doesn't. It's also likely my core isn't mounted properly - it's stock, but the installation of the core looks really hokey.

But anyway, here's the thing: there is SUPPOSED to be a prop rod especially designed for hawks with air conditioning. I got the drawings from the museum for the part a few years ago ($60 for two pages, thanks SNM for a little gouging). There is a little different bend in the rod, but I've never figured out from the drawings how it's supposed to help anything. Anyone got experience with this? If I can find the drawings, I'll post the part number. I think it's in the part book.

Scott
02-21-2006, 04:24 PM
The part number for the prop rod used with air conditioned hawks is 1546044P.

Scott
02-23-2006, 10:29 AM
I take it from the number of readers of this and the lack of response that nobody has ever seen or heard of the AC hawk prop rod. I'm just looking for one person to confirm the difference in design from the standard rod. I have to assume that lots of them were made, since they are listed in the chassis parts book. Did Studebaker ever put parts in their books and never make them??

Alan
02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Sorry Scott, but my expertise is in 53-54 C's & K's + Champ Trucks. but if you are in the L.A. area I can bend you up anything you need in mild steel or stainless if you have the print. And for less than you paid for the print.

N8N
02-23-2006, 01:54 PM
I have seen the A/C prop rod, can confirm that it's different, but that's about the extent of the help I can offer. I don't really remember what the differences are. I think it also fit into a different hole in the baffle and the clip might be relocated as well.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

JDP
02-23-2006, 02:14 PM
It has a right angle bend to clear the AC condensor.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 GT Hawk
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Daytona Convert.
53 Street rod

Scott
02-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the offer Alan. I might take you up on it. I found the drawings and there is no right angle bend described, but there is a 20 degree bend 6 3/32 from the end that goes up into the hood (this is not the bend that is in the standard rod, but in addition to it and along a different plane. This is what confuses me. I think the drawings aren't complete, because there is an end view that shows a 90 degree bend possibly down farther, but the drawings omit to pay it any attention at all. It also says that the AC version is made from part number 1314089, which is the standard prop rod part number, I believe.

The other confusing thing is that if there is a sizable right angle bend near where the rod goes through the hole by the radiator and also another 20 degree bend before where the rod normally starts bending at the other end, then it seems to me that the finished prop rod would be at lease a few inches shorter in the length dimension by the time you're all done. Then the hood would not be nearly as open as the standard rods make it, and even that's barely enough head room.

I've created a model in Solidworks and I was going to post a rendering of the model, but while doing the rendering my system crashed and I lost about a half hours work on the little area at the end that goes through the hole by the radiator. When I get a chance I'll fix it again and try to post a picture. I sure would like to see what the real article came out of the factory like.

By the way, the material for Hawk prop rods is "C.D. steel, M.S. 997, C-1015". I know the C-1015 is still a steel classification used today. All rods were painted black enamel.

Alan
02-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Scott, On all C's & K's including the Hawks the hood is never high enough not to have at least a few pices of scalp or hair and blood on them.

Scott
03-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Please try this link http://www.3diw.com/login.asp?u=f1621&f=945540 to see a 3d model of the prop rod as taken from the factory drawings. This link takes you to a login page. You don't need to enter anything in the password. Just click the Login button on the screen and it will open up the part. To turn the part around, just put your cursor in the field of view and push the left button down and move the part around! I think this is a first for this forum. Does this part look familiar to anyone?

ddub
03-15-2006, 01:14 PM
OOPS. Cannot view with Netscape.

53 Commander Hardtop
64 Champ 1/2 ton
WA state

Scott
03-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Your are right. Netscape won't work with eDrawings, but it works with Internet Explorer and I think also with Firefox.

52hawk
03-15-2006, 08:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Alan

Scott, On all C's & K's including the Hawks the hood is never high enough not to have at least a few pices of scalp or hair and blood on them.

You can say that again.And add the 59-60 Larks to the 'scalper hood'list! My broom handle works better than the hood rod on both cars!!I think I'll paint a broom handle to match each car.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Scott
03-15-2006, 08:34 PM
This may not work quite as well as I had hoped, even with Internet Explorer. It's supposed to, but it's not always working. I'll try to get it figured out.

Dan White
03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Can you make a .jpg of the print and post it?

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Scott
03-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi Dan,

The help on the website for this part says this:

The eDrawings control on this web page has the following requirements:
Operating System - NT, Windows 9x, Windows 2000 or XP.
Browser - Internet Explorer

Doesn't it work for you, either? It works for me at the office, but not at home on Internet Explorer. I was hoping this would be visible to almost anyone. I can probably make a static jpg and post in webshots or something and then link, but the 3d webpage is so much more informative (if it works).

Has this worked for anyone?

Scott
03-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Here's a picture of the prop rod. Not too exciting, but you can see the extra bend at near the right side. I still can't see how that alone does a thing to keep the prop from hitting AC core mounting bolts when it is stowed in its clip.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=421426536&photoID=2567942980076016009&security=CFjgXW

Inserting the image probably doesn't work. Bob Shaw says they're working on it. Anyway, here's the link: http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=421426536&photoID=2567942980076016009&security=CFjgXW

N8N
03-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I think the clip is moved up a little so that the prop rod is horizontal when clipped, at least that's the way I recall seeing it on the one GT I remember with A/C.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

ivorydan
08-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Scott:
I'm going through postings and saw yours. If you're still needing this info, I've got the AC prop; bought it years ago in South Bend. I beleive its about the same as the image you were sent.

Additionally, the prop was mounted higher than the non AC version. That is, another hole was drilled higher up for the prop's base side.

64V-K7
08-25-2006, 07:09 AM
The AC cars prop rod is shorter than a standard one. My car had a brand new, factory AC system, properly installed, by the P.O. Installation of the condenser forced the prop rod to be mounted higher on the top core support. He had to drill a new hole for rod on the compressor side and also moved the hold down clip, up, on the drivers side.
This resulted in the drivers side end of the rod, hitting the inside of the hood.
I had to cut off around 3/8" to make everything sit right.

ROADRACELARK
08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
If a person could get their hands on a copy of a "Dealer-Installed A/C" kit instruction sheets, you might find that either a new rod was furnished, or how to modify the present rod, or its mounting position.
Just a thought.:)
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Sudsy
08-26-2006, 08:43 PM
G'day all,
i made up a stainless ext 12" long that just slips over the original rod when you open the bonnet and then lives under the seat or in the boot when not in use. I haven't lost any hair or blood since:D:D

Regards Bob

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j76/sudsy55/3c7a4795.jpg