NOS Part - What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS Part - What is it?

Have several pieces of what seem to be seals or weatherstrips. Thought maybe they are for the dividers on the '47 thru '52 coupes with the multipiece 'wrap-around' rear glass, or maybe for the divider on a split windshield......but don't know for sure.

Shape is a "V" cross section an inch wide, and overall length is just shy of 25 inches. They have some sort of 'felt' or velour-type material glued to them.

What are they, and what do they fit??

Poor pictures, click to enlarge:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	w-s pic1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1737052Click image for larger version

Name:	w-s pic2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1737053
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Measured the rear windows and windshield in my 50 Champions. Rear windows are about 13" tall and the split windshield is about 17" tall.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thanks Ken. Doesn't sound like that is what these are for. Hopefully someone will recognize them.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I have my 52 hard top dis assembled as far as the glass goes and they don't look familiar to me either.

Dean.

Comment

Do you have any idea what year model they were most likely purchased for? Maybe even '40', '50's, '60's ?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No, sure don't Rich. They were in with some vent window weatherstrips that I bought, which were 'late '40s to mid-'50s.

I just drew a blank on what they might be for. Never have seen anything like this in/on a C-K, mid-fifties sedan, Lark, or Champ truck.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              No, sure don't Rich. They were in with some vent window weatherstrips that I bought, which were 'late '40s to mid-'50s.

I just drew a blank on what they might be for. Never have seen anything like this in/on a C-K, mid-fifties sedan, Lark, or Champ truck.
              I think most of us feel the same Paul. I have to wonder if they are even Studebaker. Quite a Mystery.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They have some sort of 'felt' or velour-type material glued to them.
                Judging from this description and the photos, not Studebaker.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

They were in Studebaker parts 'envelopes' that were literally falling apart, and could not get a p/n off of them. Of course, that doesn't necessarily make them Studebaker parts since they could have been stuck into those envelopes years ago..........
                  Last edited by r1lark; 01-01-2013, 05:40 AM. Reason: add a missing word for clarity.....
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

They were in Studebaker parts 'envelopes' that were literally falling apart, and could not get a p/n off of them. Of course, that doesn't necessarily make them Studebaker parts since they could have been stuck into those envelopes years ago..........
                    Can you provide a description of what those Studebaker parts 'envelopes' looked like? That may provide "some indication" of when (a year range) they were packed as Studebaker used different design logos/markings/colors on their packaging over the years.

Comment

Welcome, they were the older style with the vertical red and white (beige) stripes.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

My guess is that the "felt" indicates that the parts are intended for a "moving" glass seal as in a location where a window is moved open (like a vent window) or rolled up. Perhaps on some of the more scarce models, trucks, or vehicles with windshields that hinged open.

The way these old parts get shuffled around, it could be for something older or newer than other parts around it. I have bunches of "mystery" parts. "Mystery" due mainly to my ignorance and being too lazy to devote the time to learn and identify them.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Perhaps convertible top window seal, or the like.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

How about stationwagon sliding windows? If you throw them away, you'll need them the next week.
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I think they fit the '47 Museum Woody!
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X