289 start up video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 start up video

Here's a short video of the 289 running. Still working some bugs out but it's going well so far.

Sounds really good and LOOKS Great, but it definately will need a head torque and valve adjustment after break-in.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Sounds really good and LOOKS Great, but it definately will need a head torque and valve adjustment after break-in.
      Thanks and yea I plan on doing a retorque and ajustment after its in the car. The engine sounds a bit more tappy in the video then it does in person, I think it's just the microphone on the camera.

Comment

'Sounds good! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration! Really looks nice!
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Looks like the rear motor/tranny mounts are installed backward. That may explain why the fan belt is so close to the lower radiator hose. Flip them around (left to right and right to left) and the engine will shift forward 1/2 to 3/4". As is, you're gonna need to "sleeve" the lower radiator hose with something. Otherwise, that slack side of the belt will flop around and chew a hole in the hose eventually. If you install the aforementioned mounts correctly, you probably won't need to sleeve the hose. Plus, the forward mounts will sit more squarely in place, instead of being tugged toward the rear.

Comment

Look at second #39 in the video and you will see about the forward mounts being tugged toward the rear. You definitely have the rear mounts installed backward.

Comment

As is, the rearward shift will also affect clearance for the rear of the tranny oil pan & bat wing (if you're running one), and drive shaft fit.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  Looks like the rear motor/tranny mounts are installed backward. That may explain why the fan belt is so close to the lower radiator hose. Flip them around (left to right and right to left) and the engine will shift forward 1/2 to 3/4". As is, you're gonna need to "sleeve" the lower radiator hose with something. Otherwise, that slack side of the belt will flop around and chew a hole in the hose eventually. If you install the aforementioned mounts correctly, you probably won't need to sleeve the hose. Plus, the forward mounts will sit more squarely in place, instead of being tugged toward the rear.
                  I have tried the mounts both ways with no better luck when I first put the motor in. The mounts wont clear the trans the other way. I figured it was because it's a 289 in a 53 chassis but it was something I was going to tinker with later (one of the bugs I mentioned). Thanks for noticing it, funny you mentioned the lower hose too because I had plans to make a sleeve for it so the belt doesn't rub. The driveshaft and mount fits perfectly.
                  Last edited by 53commander; 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

The 1953's with the Studebaker Automatic did not not use that Converter Housing OR those Motor Mounts, so I doubt the hole pattern in the crossmember is correct unless it is from a '56 and on Hawk.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
                      I have tried the mounts both ways with no better luck when I first put the motor in. The mounts wont clear the trans the other way. I figured it was because it's a 289 in a 53 chassis but it was something I was going to tinker with later (one of the bugs I mentioned). Thanks for noticing it, funny you mentioned the lower hose too because I had plans to make a sleeve for it so the belt doesn't rub. The driveshaft and mount fits perfectly.
                      The reason I noticed the rear mounts is because I recently dealt with the same issue on a 63GT I picked up. I had noticed several peculiarities, fefore figuring out the problem: driveshaft almost too long to remove from the rear u'joint; tranny dipstick tube kissing the batwing; fan blade almost kissing the lower radiator hose (as yours); shift linkage bound up, and less clearance at firewall for distributor.
                      I looked in the 1959-64 Shop Manual and became really confused. Apparently those mounts are reversed (as yours are now) on six cylinders. They used the same picture (of the mounts on a six cylinder) in both the six & eight cylinder engine sections. In the Flightomatoc section, all pix are of a FOM behind a six cylinder. The only accurate picI found in the manual was on page 3, figure 2, in the ENGINE V8 section. After swapping those mounts around, all the above peculiarities disappeared. In your video, at the #2 second mark, the driveshaft mount is cock-eyed, shifted toward the rear. I am betting if the mounts are reversed, that mount will align itself as it should be.
                      I agree with Rich, probably not gonna get that tranny crossmember to clear the later FOM, but that is whole mother issue.

Just tryin to save you some grief

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        I am betting if the mounts are reversed, that mount will align itself as it should be.
                        I agree with Rich, probably not gonna get that tranny crossmember to clear the later FOM, but that is whole mother issue.

Just tryin to save you some grief
                        The mounts cannot be reversed as they hit the bell housing so the bolts don't line up. As StudeRich said it seems the crossmember is different.

Comment

I have no bout you will get all the bugs ironed out, and be tooling around in no time. Sometimes, there are a few challenges on swapping parts around on Studes, but overall, they are very versatile, as far as what is possible. I bet that 53 Is really gonna scat with the later, larger CId motor.

Comment

Working...
                          X