PDA

View Full Version : rechrome

swvalcon
12-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Which is usually the way to go on small chrome parts. Have them rechromed or buy replacement parts. Also the grille surround on my 64 hawk has a couple small dents and needs rechromed . This looks to be pot metal. Is there a way to repair these before rechroming. I think it will crack if I try to tap them out.

57pack
12-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Hello, Reach out to Tony Lombardi also a SDC member and
Forum user.
He works for Frankford Plating of Philadelphia Pa,
He is the man for rechroming questions.
He did a fabulous job on my 57 Packard.
Hope this helps, Bill
P/s try Studebaker International may have
new parts cheaper than replating, call and ask.
They have way more than what's in the catalog.

SN-60
12-30-2012, 08:52 PM
I've heard good things about Jerry Forrester also!

63 R2 Hawk
12-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Some of the reproduction parts being offered are really cheesy. I ordered some new repro "dog legs" for the top fender trim on my GT Hawk and sent 'em back, they were the jankiest parts I have ever seen, ended up putting the slightly pitted originals back on.

TXmark
12-30-2012, 11:37 PM
are the "dents" from the mounting bolts being pulled too tight? If you get them out let me know how and who did it

StudeMann
01-02-2013, 03:53 PM
I had most of my chrome redone but ordered a repro mirror and a repro of the V8 hood ornamentfor my 51 . I sent the hood ornament back and I am tempted to do the same with the mirror. The rechromed items have turned out well so that is the route I recommend rather than repro.

Cheers,

Jim

wolfie
01-02-2013, 04:09 PM
I've heard good things about Jerry Forrester also!

More Kudos for Forrester. First class work !!!!!! Steve

wdills
01-02-2013, 08:37 PM
When looking at prices for chrome on my 61 Hawk, I discovered that anything I could get from SI was the cheapest way to go. The next cheapest option was buying anything I could find from vendors at York and selling my core parts back to those vendors. The stuff I couldn't buy was sent out to be re-chromed. Hope this helps.

Wayne

candbstudebakers
01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Check with Rich Lindsey in Ohio, he sells a lot of rechromed Studebaker items and at good prices and has most in stock , he is in the club roster in Marshallville, Ohio.

stude1964
01-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Yes I've dealt w/Dick Lindsey several times. Does good work or has it done & true to his word.
Rob in PA.

acolds
01-02-2013, 10:12 PM
I've had Dick Lindsey and Jerry Forester both do work for me more than satisfied with both. Dick is closer to me he has lots of bumpers in stock at Reedsville orYork for quick exchange Even got some nos chrome for my Clipper from Studebaker International

Kdancy
01-03-2013, 08:16 AM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?60699-Chroming-cost-nowadays&highlight=chrome+plating

Lucy the Lark
01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Having owned the last woody wagon made in the U.S., 1953 Buick, and an early 1953 aluminum-bodied BN-1 Austin-Healey which won a special award for best British performance car at Hilton Head C d'E, and others, my $$$$$ are all for Librandi's in PA. I would also mention when one of my cars was about to win an award, at the SYC charity show in St. Pete., a judge commented on the paint, but added it was set off by the fabulous chrome.
Also, Librandi's work does not destroy the style detail in metal and seems to last almost indefinitely. These latter two are issues often overlooked but are key to quality.
I have no relationship with Librandi's, other than customer. I am a one-at-a-time normal classic car guy with limited money, which is why I choose to spend wisely for quality to beat the wealthy show folks. Currently, our pride and joy is a 1960 Lark convertible V-8, one owner, in need of lots of attention. Still, my wife and I drive it locally every day it doesn't rain - about 15 miles per day. It will be well-cared for, but not a concours car. Enough of that.
Regards to the very kind Studebaker owners we have met in the last 18 months. Tom

Henry Votel
01-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Go visit JRs Custom Plating at Forest Lake, Mn for a no charge opinion and estimate you'll be pleased.

http://www.jrcustomplating.com/contact.php