1961 Lark Manual Choke hardware/mechanism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 1961 Lark Manual Choke hardware/mechanism

I attached two photos of my 6 cyl choke cable/hardware/mechanism. I'm sure the bracket that came with the car is not original and I can attach the choke cable to the carb but dont know how to hold the cable sleeve from moving. I dont know what the correct hardware looks like. The metal bracket that is in the photos doesnt seem to get it! Any ideas what I need to do? This bracket has a correct cable clamp on it but I dont know that the bracket is the correct one.
    Thanks,
    GregorClick image for larger version

Name:	1961 Studebaker Lark choke hardware.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1737049Click image for larger version

Name:	1961 Studebaker Lark choke hardware 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1737050

For one thing, I don't like the 90' angle at the end of the 'bowden wire'.....I think it should be changed so it comes in more parallel to the lever. (for a smoother operation)

Comment

Older Stude. Trucks like '49-'53 "R" series had Manual Chokes on flathead 6's. So that is the only Stude. source I know of.
      Studebaker kind of Pioneered Automatic Chokes, and I believe all '47-'66 Cars had them.

I would try to get it back to stock, there should be tons of old Parts Carbs. around for those OHV Sixes. The best is the 1962 Carter Model AS one barrel. Please stay away from '63-'64S round tin float bowl Carter Model RBS.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I recall my 61 ohv only having an automatic choke. Carter AS 1 barrel. I have a feeling someone added a manual type to your car in its past. Maybe they had moisture build up in the butterfly's thermostat housing and wanted physical control incase it froze open.

I had that happen once. Froze open, the off ramp came up pretty quick, had to turn engine off. Brake. Pull over.
        Moisture, some corrosion. Cleaned it and the throttle linkage, never had a problem again after using HEET in the fuel.
        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X