• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker pickup

Click image for larger version

Name:	0M547798-1sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1737048Might be selling the Avanti but I've added this 48 pickup to the collection. Not a replacement for the Avanti but it will be fun till I find another R2
    1963 Avanti R2
    1951 Champion Convertible
    1953 Commander
    1957 Golden Hawk

sweet looking truck, especially with the contrast of the wide whites and black paint. have fun with it! Junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Saw that on Ebay, looked like an all orig., no bids?

Have fun!!

Dick
      Last edited by 50starlite; 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM.

Dick
      Mountain Home, AR
      http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Called them up and negotiated a price and it's now mine. Just got to get it here.
        1963 Avanti R2
        1951 Champion Convertible
        1953 Commander
        1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

That's a beautiful truck. If you plan on driving it, put the Avanti running gear under it and, you'll have a nice driver. As is, if the truck has the original running gear, its about as drive-able on today's roads as a farm implement.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            That's a beautiful truck. If you plan on driving it, put the Avanti running gear under it and, you'll have a nice driver. As is, if the truck has the original running gear, its about as drive-able on today's roads as a farm implement.
            As a long time truck owner and driver...I know what you mean, Joe. Without the overdrive in my truck, I don't think it would get as much exercise as it does now. Of course, you know that when most of these little trucks were built...they were farm implements.

In today's world of the "do everything truck"...people seem to have forgotten the original purpose and performance limitations of the vintage iron. Couple that with the inattentive texting drivers hurtling down our highways at breakneck speed with a closing rate forty miles per hour faster than the vehicle in front, and you have disaster. Something that is never far from my thoughts whether I am in one of my Studebakers or on my motorcycle.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My bro-in-law has a 47 truck like the OP's, that he bought a couple of years ago. Someone had done a thorough, street rod job on it about 15-20 years ago, and then never drove it much. It has a 350/350 drivetrain, with Nova clip, etc.. It wouldn't work for everyone, but my bro-in-law sure is enjoying it. I think he bought it to "self medicate" his seller's remorse, which onset shortly after he sold his 56J

My older bro has a 49 Stude pickup, which he bought stock at SB about eight years ago. He finished a frame off restoration about a year ago, and used mostly Stude parts: full flow 289; T85 OD transmission; Ford 9" rear end with 3.50 gears; Turner front disc brakes; Vintage Aire climate control, etc.. On the outside, it looks like a 1949 Stude truck, but underneath it is an excellent driver; he and his wife have a trip to Alaska in their bucket list, since their daughter lives there.

IMHO, the 1940s-50s Stude trucks are beautiful and draw people like flies to honey. They also make excellent drivers, but need a few of what I call drivability improvements to seriously drive. But then, most Studes can benefit from drivability improvements for today's roads and driving conditions.

THe cell phone thing is a danger to everyone one the road. Best way to protect oneself from texting drivers is to drive a tank.

Comment

Working...
              X