Wanted '65/'66 chevybaker flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Wanted '65/'66 chevybaker flywheel

I am looking for the flywheel (with starter gear) that bolts to the Chevy 283 crankshaft and 1965/66 Borg Warner Flight O Matic Transmission/Torque Converter. The 1965 Parts Catalog lists it FLYWHEEL and GEAR (with AD.) PN. 1563839. The crankshaft bolts and washers would be appreciated.
    I need the starter also.
    Any of you guys out there have either or both?
    lomb1234@aol

You should just be able to drill the required holes in a standard Chevy flywheel (actually called a flexplate). The Studebaker torque converter uses a pilot bearing that will center the converter to the crankshaft. Thus, lacking any other means, getting the holes "close enough" should suffice. If you take a bolt, cut the head off and file it to a point in a lathe or drill press you can thread it into the converter until it barely touches the flexplate. Then rotate it 360 degrees to leave a scribe mark. Using the opposing Chevy bolt holes and a straight edge you should be able to index the bolt spacing. I've included a picture for you to see the flexplate. Note too the pilot bearing in the center. Chevy did not use it with their transmissions.

As to the starter I think most Chevy starters will work. I replaced my stock 283 starter with the Hi Torque one that came with the '85, 350 Corvette engine I am now using. The GM starters came with different noses for different engine application, but from what I read the noses were interchangeable. An internet search on the subject will provide you with a better understanding.

Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wittsend; 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Nice explanation Tom.

Just be aware that SBC's use a 153 or 168 flywheel/flexplate gear. Be sure you get the correct starter for your tooth count (on your flexplate).

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
        You should just be able to drill the required holes in a standard Chevy flywheel (actually called a flexplate). The Studebaker torque converter uses a pilot bearing that will center the converter to the crankshaft. Thus, lacking any other means, getting the holes "close enough" should suffice. If you take a bolt, cut the head off and file it to a point in a lathe or drill press you can thread it into the converter until it barely touches the flexplate. Then rotate it 360 degrees to leave a scribe mark. Using the opposing Chevy bolt holes and a straight edge you should be able to index the bolt spacing. I've included a picture for you to see the flexplate. Note too the pilot bearing in the center. Chevy did not use it with their transmissions.

As to the starter I think most Chevy starters will work. I replaced my stock 283 starter with the Hi Torque one that came with the '85, 350 Corvette engine I am now using. The GM starters came with different noses for different engine application, but from what I read the noses were interchangeable. An internet search on the subject will provide you with a better understanding.

Tom
        To: wittsend,---VERY good explanation!

Comment

Wanted '65''66 chevybaker flywheel

Tom, Thanks. It may come to that, but my first option is to try to find an original flex plate. I gotta believe they are out there somewhere. For the right deal, I may consider purchasing an original RUNNING 283 Cheveybaker engine (and trans) from a '65 or '66. I know they are out there. I don't care about the condition of the body. Tony

Comment

now this is exactly how I get myself into trouble with my cars because this presents a perfect opportunity to slip a 4sd auto like a 200 series turbohydramatic in that spot where the b&w existed....just saying. Cheers, Junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
            X