Direction of Float arm in Gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Direction of Float arm in Gas tank

Quick easy one - I recall in removing the old cork float sending unit that the float sits near the front of the tank, at the tallest/deepest point of the tank. The unit I have now, a SW improved version, screw mount holes line up best with the float facing the rear of the tank. this is my 66 cruiser, and I am finally getting correct signal to Temp and Gas Gauges, after removing the original - faded like the palm springs sun can do to a gauge face, and then trying another gauge cluster with no results, until now, with another good gauge cluster. This means I can drive without running out of Gasoline! (done it once, never again!) So - Which direction is correct? float facing forward, or rearward?
    Thanks in advance to all. fred

The original swinging arm type Sender floats face the right side. That makes the most sense, since most people do more front to rear tank sloshing than left to right. The dash unit will be more time than not, somewhat correct that way.
    The "replacement type" may be different, or not care depending on design.

UPDATE: Be very careful lining up those screw holes though, I believe there is only ONE correct way, even though they may be able to be forced into the wrong holes because the offset is so slight.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-29-2012, 02:06 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That definitely syncs with what I see. And it does make sense, due to the front/rear motion of the fuel. Well OKAY!

Comment

Working...
      X