model names . ¿Pelham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model names . ¿Pelham?

I think that Studebaker coined great names for their models, cars and trucks.Even some names as simple as Champion or Provincial. But always I have found amazing the Pelham name. It sounds strange and on my opinion es one of the worst names for a car, ever.

I know that there are several towns named Pelham in the USA. But does somebody knows exactly the reason of Studebaker to use this name and what of those Pelham was being celebrated?

Studebakerchile

All the wagons (Pinehurst, Broadmoor, Pelham, etc.) were named after prestegious country clubs.

Comment

All the wagons (Pinehurst, Broadmoor, Pelham, etc.) were named after prestegious country clubs.

Comment

Here is the Pelham Country Club web site:

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Here is the Pelham Country Club web site:

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Thank you . It is clear now. (But the name still is ugly(at my opinion)

Studebakerchile

Comment

Thank you . It is clear now. (But the name still is ugly(at my opinion)

Studebakerchile

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

You forgot the other two~~ 'Parkview' and 'Provincial'!!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                V/P San Diego County SDC
                San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

StudeDave [8D]
                  V/P San Diego County SDC
                  San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                  '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

[/quote]

I always wondered why they didn't use another name that started with the letter 'P' for the top-line 4-door wagon instead of 'Broadmoor', since all the rest did![:0]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57

[/quote]

I always wondered why they didn't use another name that started with the letter 'P' for the top-line 4-door wagon instead of 'Broadmoor', since all the rest did![:0]

Craig

Comment

quote: I always wondered why they didn't use another name that started with the letter 'P' for the top-line 4-door wagon instead of 'Broadmoor', since all the rest did
                        It may just have been a lack of "P" words as in the '50's I suspect there were not as many "P"restigious clubs around. I had a friend from college who spent a summer working at the Broadmoor in the '70's. Elvis died while he was coming back to Virginia and that is all they played on the radio.

Dave, in my eagerness to actually add Studebaker content to the forum I elected to keep my answer short in order to be the first to post!

Comment

quote: I always wondered why they didn't use another name that started with the letter 'P' for the top-line 4-door wagon instead of 'Broadmoor', since all the rest did
                          It may just have been a lack of "P" words as in the '50's I suspect there were not as many "P"restigious clubs around. I had a friend from college who spent a summer working at the Broadmoor in the '70's. Elvis died while he was coming back to Virginia and that is all they played on the radio.

Dave, in my eagerness to actually add Studebaker content to the forum I elected to keep my answer short in order to be the first to post!

Comment

I doubt it was the Pelham,NH where we used to live. Nice town but would you name a car after it?

Comment

I doubt it was the Pelham,NH where we used to live. Nice town but would you name a car after it?

Comment

Working...
                              X