That time of year again (darn!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That time of year again (darn!)

Held off as long as I could, but with the first meaningful snow (6-10") predicted for later today, I just installed the snow tires on the Avanti. P21575R-15's on 6" Chrysler wheels seem to be the ticket,
    with about 100lbs. of weight over the rear axle......With this arrangement, I haven't had to send up the white flag yet!!!!!

Wish we had snow here in the PNW.....NOT!

Comment

Ed,I always hold off as long as I can with these things also <G>.only for me it's getting the Ford 9N ready for snow action around here.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
        Wish we had snow here in the PNW.....NOT!
        you can get all the snow you want by driving a few miles to the east. Don't forget those tire chains!
        Dave Nevin
        Corvallis, OR
        1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

WOW!!..what a night.....a 2000 Sentra, being driven by a 'nice young man' lost it on the curve before My residence....flew across My driveway & lawn..and into a ravine next to the house. I went outside to check
          this out, and found Him standing beside car ...He was OK...brought Him into house to call His Mother (and police)....rollback is outside now (on lawn) pulling car out. This forum might have 'slowed down' without
          the trivia, BUT THESE NEW ENGLAND WINTERS SURE HAVEN'T!!!!! (My poor lawn!!)

Comment

I want a photo of the Avanti, in the snopw... WITH SNOW TIRES.
            Also, Don Cuddihee is looking for "Stude in the snow" photos to run in the BlackHawk Chapter newsletter studebakerdon@comcast.net, I am sure he would appreciate it as well (be sure to include your name & where the photo was taken).

Comment

To: Deaf Mute,----I'll get right on that tomorrow!

Comment

Snow tires on the Avanti, boy does that bring back memories. In 1967, I had snow tires on my 64 R1 and had one hell of a time trying to get home from Canton Community College (now Spoon River College) as the big snow storm was coming in. I lived on my parents farm then and had several miles of country gravel roads to traverse getting home. I made it but was plowing through snow drifts across the road as high as the fenders. Once I got home and the car in the garage, it kept snowing and snowing. We ended up being snowed in for 3 days before the roads got opened back up. I don't have snow tires for my 76. It will stay covered in the garage as long as snow is on the ground.
                sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

What's snow?
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

To: Deaf Mute,----Will You settle for a couple shots from last year? Not much has changed really...the Avanti is still white...and so isn't the snow!!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have never ran snow tires on a Stude because I don't purposely drive them in the snow, but coulda used them a couple of times. For example, in early 2000, when tow-dollying the 56J behind the GT Hawk from California to Kentucky. Late at night, coming up and over the mountain range just before dropping down into Albuquerque, NM, I hit a snow storm; I really shoulda pulled off, but the last exit I passed was already full of 18 wheelers who had pulled off. So I slipped and slid on into Albuquerque and a motel. Actually, the GT got real good traction with the dolly behind it. Also hit heavy snow in the 56J one year in the mountains around Maryland, going to Reedsville from Kentucky. Also drove to an Indi Chapter meeting in Greenville, IN one February a few years ago in a snow storm; upon arrival, I discovered the meeting was canceled due to the snow. Both those Studes have TT.

Comment

To: Joe Hall,----Good story! One Studebaker passenger car that REALLY SHOULDN'T be driven during a snowstorm is the 1956 Golden Hawk...and NOT BECAUSE of it's rarity and/or value! That heavy Packard engine
                        does absolutely nothing for traction....a truly hopeless car! (And I was foolish enough as a kid to attempt this for six winters!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          To: Joe Hall,----Good story! One Studebaker passenger car that REALLY SHOULDN'T be driven during a snowstorm is the 1956 Golden Hawk...and NOT BECAUSE of it's rarity and/or value! That heavy Packard engine
                          does absolutely nothing for traction....a truly hopeless car! (And I was foolish enough as a kid to attempt this for six winters!!!!)
                          I think those are fightin' words for Joe.

I've driven 56 and 58 Golden Hawks. Didn't notice any difference whatsoever in handling between the two years.

Comment

To: mbstude,----Really not trying to stir up Joe,....but I can clearly remember staring down at My white knuckles behind the steering wheel of that good old 56J!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              I think those are fightin' words for Joe.

I've driven 56 and 58 Golden Hawks. Didn't notice any difference whatsoever in handling between the two years.
                              Please Matt, I can get in enough trouble all by myself

Actually Ed, I have not noticed any difference in traction between the 56J and the GT. Just need to feather the accelerator on the 56J a little more. The heavier front end doesn't seem to make any difference, but when I lived in Syracuse, NY in the 1970s I had a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado with front wheel drive. That car, with heavy front end, was next best thing to a FWD in the snow.

If you drove a 56J, as a kid, in six MA winters, I'd think that would be a testament to their drivability in the snow. Yes ? No ?

Comment

Working...
                              X