PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Commander available in Seattle, $999 obo

Mark L
12-28-2012, 11:29 PM
A running 1965 Commander is available (Dec. 28 2012) in Seattle on Craig's List for $999 obo. The owner is stating the transmission is shot.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3485827902.html

Mark L.

StudeDave57
12-29-2012, 11:09 AM
That'd be Sean's car. He's known here as "cultural infidel".
There are many threads about it floating around on this Forum.

Roscomacaw
12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Too bad about the tranny failure. I've got TWO of those late automatics here and a neighbor who can rebuild them.

cultural infidel
01-04-2013, 11:13 AM
boom.... that is mine! Trans went out on my drive home one day. Priorities have shifted, hence it being on the block. Considering any offer on the old gal.

cultural infidel
01-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I was just offered 10 ashtrays and a New Beer Mug Set in trade for my car.

studeclunker
01-12-2013, 03:14 AM
boom.... that is mine! Trans went out on my drive home one day. Priorities have shifted, hence it being on the block. Considering any offer on the old gal.
The overdrive transmission you mention in your ad, how difficult are they to find, and how much do they cost? would it be difficult to install in this car? I imagine the drive shaft would have to be modified?

I shouldn't be asking these questions as I need another studee like I need a hole in the head.

Would you take a McLaughlin Surrey in trade?;):D Likely a better deal than the beer mugs. :yeahright: LOL, I'd bet you'd get more use out of the mugs though.;):D

Nelsen Motorsports
01-12-2013, 08:55 AM
The overdrive transmission you mention in your ad, how difficult are they to find, and how much do they cost? would it be difficult to install in this car? I imagine the drive shaft would have to be modified?

I shouldn't be asking these questions as I need another studee like I need a hole in the head.

Would you take a McLaughlin Surrey in trade?;):D Likely a better deal than the beer mugs.:yeahright: LOL, I'd bet you'd get more use out of the mugs though.;):D

Being a Chevy you could install either a 700R4 or a 4l60e which are in every scrap yard, and modifications to the driveshaft are probably dependent on whether the old trans is a long or short tail.

wittsend
01-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Studeclunker: I'm cutting and pasting the overdrive information I sent to Sean (the seller). I have "been there, done that" with an overdrive install in my Daytona. Frankly it is not a "simple" bolt in. But if you are inclined to this type of work and have the required tools it is doable. Included is a listing of the parts I used and the price I paid for them. I have less than $175 in the whole swap (and all kinds of hours). BUT, if you bought everything new (or rebuilt), and paid someone to do the work I can easily see it costing $3,000-$4,000.

700R4 in a '64 Daytona (with '65-'66 Chevy drivetrain):

The 700R4 (and 200R4) OD, AT will "sort of" bolt in. Use only the 1987 and up versions. The newer the better, but make sure you don't get the electronic version which varies but came in most vehicles starting about 1993. Also, there are three different tailshafts. Make sure you get the one that uses a mount similar to the Studebaker (two outward bolts perpendicular to the transmission)

The transmissions will bolt to the (Chevy) engine and with minor modification bolt to the stock crossmember. I put in a 700R4 and slotted the transmission mount bolt holes rearward. I also heated and dimpled the crossmember where the transmission crosses it (right about where the speedometer cable comes out). I'm not sure if that is necessary, but it looked close and I'd rather be proactive. That is the easy part.

The "Batwing" needs to be notched significantly. About 50% of the rearward section that passes under the converter needs to be removed. I welded in 1" square tubing to re-enforce the area.

Additionally the converter cover needs to be dimpled for clearance. Trial and error with a hammer and clay (between the cover and the converter) will get you the clearance needed. Note that many of the newer cars use a mini starter. I had to hack up my converter cover to fit my standard size starter.

The TV (throttle valve) Cable between the carburetor and the transmission can be a hassle to set up properly. I have an Edelbrock carburetor and elected to make my own bracket. For a price ($100-$150) you can buy ready made stuff.

I can't advise on the use of the stock shifter. I went floor mount and used one from a 1995 Camaro.

The transmission cooler line won't line up with the 700R4 so you will have to alter these for use. An external transmission cooler is recommended. I opted to install a cooler from a Ford F-1150 pick-up.

Many of the 700R4's came with electronic speedometer drives. There are manual drives available, but know what gears you need because there are two housings based on the size of the gear.

There is wiring that needs to be done for the torque converter lock-up. It is not complicated, but must be done correctly. Note that the transmission used many configurations over the years and the wiring is not the same for all.

The driveshaft needs to be altered or changed. I got mine from a 1976 Buick Skylark (4 Door). Ideally it should be about 1/4" longer, but seems acceptable. A 1995-ish Caprice cop car might also be a candidate. This is a measure and check thing that is part of the process. This driveshaft relates to a four door Daytona. Two door models will need a shorter driveshaft.

I have a single 2-3/4" exhaust. A dual exhaust can create potential issues with the shifter. To what extent I don't know, but "it has the appearance of... ."

I had to modify my dipstick basically using the original 700R4 ends and soldering them to a 1/2" piece of properly bent conduit.

So, yes, in a sense the transmission "bolts in" fairly easy...., but it is all the additional (but necessary) stuff that can add significant time and money. If you have ever built or had a house built the framing makes the appearance of a house rather quickly, but making it a functional house is a long way away from completing the framing. Installing an Overdrive transmission in the Studebaker is similar.

Virtually everything I have involving my conversion came from the junkyard (and mostly on 50% off days). I have about $200 invested in the completed process - and hundreds of hours of time!

My parts list (all prices less tax, core charge etc.): 1992 - 700R4 with torque converter and cover $70, driveshaft $15, transmission cooler (external) $15, floor mount shifter $10, shifter cable $5, shifter console (including modifications) $20, speedometer gear housing (with gear) $5, speedometer cable $6, transmission lines (to modify) $5, TV cable $5. Everything was pretty cheap - but the filter and fluid ran nearly $40! That was more than half the cost of the transmission itself!!!

Notes:
700R4 Fluid in Top connection
700R4 Fluid out Bottom connection

700R4 trans mission case measurements:
Bellhousing to transmission mount 22-1/2
Bellhousing to rear seal 30-3/4
Original Studebaker B/W transmission length 34-1/4

Tailhousing (Chevy/Studebaker style mount) #24214689

Current (700R4) driveshaft about 54-1/4 (76 Buick Skylark 4 door)
Original driveshaft 50-3/4 with yoke offset (sight shaft to see)

1995 era Chevrolet Caprice (cop car) possible driveshaft to also use. It seems about longer and about thicker than Buick Sylark driveshaft. Needs an adapter rear U-Joint.

Comparative ratios (700R4 to a GM 350) both with 3.07 rear gears:

700R4 equal to GM 350
1st gear 3.73
2nd gear 3.31
3rd gear 3.07
4th gear 2.15 (not available in GM 350)

cultural infidel
01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
He posted it before I could. I wanted to go with the 200r4 simply because it is a smaller trans than the 700

New link.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3543565191.html

cultural infidel
01-13-2013, 05:34 PM

Would you take a McLaughlin Surrey in trade?;):D Likely a better deal than the beer mugs. :yeahright: LOL, I'd bet you'd get more use out of the mugs though.;):D

What is a McLaughlin Surrey?

cultural infidel
01-16-2013, 10:32 AM
What is a McLaughlin Surrey?

after searching the google.... is this a horse?

ISpy
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
A surrey is a carriage...This one appers to be manufactured by McLaughlin...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrey_(carriage)