1965 Studebaker Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Studebaker Commander?

First of all I hope everyone had a nice holiday. I am a little confused about my car. Its a commander( the emblems say so) but is it also a LARK because it seems the parts that fit it are from Larks. Was there a 1965 Lark? What's a Daytona? I enjoy this forum and learn much from it . Thanks

With the introduction of the new body in '64, they dropped the Lark name, thinking that too many people equated "lark" with "cheap". So technically your car is not a lark, although many "lark" parts fit it. By '65/'66, the daytona name was used for the sportier appointed 2 door sedan. Welcome to the group. Although I have '66, I think the '64/'65 were better looking.
    Mike Sal

Comment

Studebaker dropped the Lark name at mid year of 63 that's when they started using the Cruiser, Daytona, and Standard, but the standard used the Studebaker script only on the front fenders no script saying standard, 64 had the cruiser, Daytona, Commander, Challenger, 65 had Daytona, Cruiser,and Commender 66 were just Cruiser and Daytona and Commander, Wagonaire all 3 years, but Cruiser was also used on the 61's and 62's
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum Bill.

We like to refer to the '64 to '66's as "Lark Type" because they are built on the same platform as the '62 to '63 Larks. But in 1964 the body style radically changed and the names of the models were changed from Standard, Regal, Custom, Daytona and Cruiser trim levels (in order of better trim) to:
        Challenger, Commander, Daytona and Cruiser (in order of better trim)
        The Wagonaires' also came in the first 3 trim levels.

As with all makes, it is all about PRICE, seating material, door panels, carpet, outside mouldings, nameplates and trim.

Although the '64 Commanders were not identified as "LARKS" the brochure called both the Challengers and Commanders "Larks".
        I would NOT agree with calling Commanders Larks, but the Challengers actually did have the Lark Bird on the "C" pillar, I think the advertising Co. misidentified the Commander as "Lark".

In '65
        at Canada they dropped the Daytona Hardtop & Convertible also all Challengers and added a Daytona 2 Dr. Sedan dressed up to look like a Hardtop.
        Of course Avantis, Champ & Transtar Trucks and Gran Turismo Hawks were not produced also in late '64 at the Hamilton Ontario, Canada Plant.

The Mechanicals and Bodies did not change with trim levels, so with your '65 you just have a bottom trim level car that originally had Rubber floor mats etc, etc.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, reading (and agreeing with) your summation of the 64-5-6 Lark types, I don't think it's unfair to say that these cars had a company-induced identity crisis equal to that of the 55 model Studes.
          Of course, the skipping over of what should have been 1H/11G and 3H/13G designators is amusing too. Then there's that set of alpha-numeric punches that someone lost the number ONE from early on!
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes Bob they did do some odd things at times with Model I.D. Like I have said many times before, one of the worst blunders were the 1961 and 1962 "Regals" they were never properly promoted, really never sold in any serious numbers, all because they had no noticable exterior difference like the '59 and '60.

The 2nd one is the 1963 name change to "Custom" for the best model with the nicest Interior, that never sold! And the cheapening of the famous "Regal" name to a base model. These were very important mistakes that actually affected the bottom line, Sales and cash flow.

Evidence of that is long time Studebaker owner Bob at candbstudebakers, who knew better after parting out many Custom 2 Dr. sedans, but forgot that they were top of the line "Customs" (missing from post #3), they are the "lost and forgotten Larks".

But I do think they made a really good decision in '59 when they went to a better, very sensible system of using the Year, and the matching 6 or 8 (S or V) to I.D. the Cars (Serial #) and Bodies (Body #).

Note: It probably should be noted that when mentioniing the '63 Lark Custom as the "top of the line", that I did not forget the Cruisers, but to me they are not part of a "line" of body styles since they are a one-off, special, over the top of the line, body style and model.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well said, StudeRich.
              JimsLeadCommander

Comment

This thread just got me thinking, could it be that "Commander" might be the longest produced name Studebaker ever used?
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

How long was "Izzer" used? Is it possible to find out?
                  Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                  61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                  Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                  Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                    This thread just got me thinking, could it be that "Commander" might be the longest produced name Studebaker ever used?
                    It could be, but unfortunately you could not really connect the previous last use in 1958 to the 1964 to 1966 useage.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
                      How long was "Izzer" used? Is it possible to find out?
                      Going off the top of my head, roughly 1868 to the early 1890s.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                      X