PDA

View Full Version : CAL DMV launches Legacy Plate Program!

kirkdob
12-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Check it out. For $50.00 you can order vintage reproduction plates from CA DMV.
It's a pre-order system. They need 7500 ordered of any one type of plate to implement the program.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

Sdude
12-27-2012, 08:58 PM
So if you have a custom plate like mine (SDUDE) could I get the same plate in the size, shape, colors of the plates available in 1951?

StudeRich
12-27-2012, 09:11 PM
So if you have a custom plate like mine (SDUDE) could I get the same plate in the size, shape, colors of the plates available in 1951?

My understanding of this is: no you may not be able to get the old LONG Black on Yellow '51 Plate if that design does not get enough orders, which is doubtful since the Yellow on Black '63 Plate is the most Popular and highest number of Cars that need them.

But YES it does say that any (acceptable) number and or letters can be ordered, but it can not already be in use on a Personalized or other plate.

Also it will look the same except it will have to be reflectorized and must be assigned to a currently Calif. registered vehicle, not NON-OPP'D.

What is a bit confusing is they say '50's, '60's and '70's Plates, but the oldest they show is a '56 Black on Yellow, smaller Standardized size Plate, no long '51! :confused:

1953starliner
12-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Jon,
Go to the DMV website. It looks to me like you can get a "Personal Plate' in the black or yellow.

63 R2 Hawk
12-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Oregon did a reissue of their '60s "Pacific Wonderland" plates a few years back but did not offer a personalization option, you just get the next number in the sequence whether you want it or not. The plates look phony, the color is different and the "Pacific Wonderland" across the bottom is painted, not stamped like the original issue. They thought they were going to sell like hotcakes but people were disappointed with them and I think they still have a bunch leftl. Lotta PT Cruisers with them on though...... The original PW plates sell for $200-$300/pr these days.

dnevin
12-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Oregon did a reissue of their '60s "Pacific Wonderland" plates a few years back but did not offer a personalization option, you just get the next number in the sequence whether you want it or not. The plates look phony, the color is different and the "Pacific Wonderland" across the bottom is painted, not stamped like the original issue. They thought they were going to sell like hotcakes but people were disappointed with them and I think they still have a bunch leftl. Lotta PT Cruisers with them on though...... The original PW plates sell for $200-$300/pr these days.

LOL, I got the Pacific Wonderland reissue plates for the 53. I like 'em well enough. I'm thinking the color will probably match a little better after another 40 years out in the sun. :)

63 R2 Hawk
12-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Hi Dave...
My unique number.....I can even remember it!
Oregon only requires one plate on the rear for SP, you can find nice singles for $30-$50.

JoeHall
12-28-2012, 10:11 AM
That's the first news outta Cali in a looong time that has made me wish I were there. I was allowed to register the 56J with the 1956 black-on-yellow Cali plates a friend gave me. The plates were as new, and really "fit" the 56J well. That's about all I miss about Cali though.

1962larksedan
12-28-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm getting 'worried': maybe Calif is starting to get its act together? :)

Sdude
12-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Don't worry. California is a loooooonng way from getting it's act together.

63 R2 Hawk
12-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Governor Moonbeam will fix that......

candbstudebakers
12-29-2012, 01:45 AM
Jon,
Go to the DMV website. It looks to me like you can get a "Personal Plate' in the black or yellow.

Bill welcome to the forum, see you on Sat.

ivorydan
12-29-2012, 07:27 AM
In Indiana, you can use an original Indiana license plate, year of issue the same year as model year of the car. Dan

1962larksedan
12-29-2012, 08:51 AM
In Indiana, you can use an original Indiana license plate, year of issue the same year as model year of the car. Dan

Legal in California and Arizona too to use old license plates assuming the alphanumeric is available; the OP is referring to reproductions of 'obsolete' plates in the former state. :)

Skip Lackie
12-29-2012, 09:42 AM

That is now true in MOST states and provinces. The laws vary considerably as to the duplication of currently valid plate numbers, years of applicability, requirements for matched pairs if appropriate, original paint, etc. I wrote the YOM law for the District of Columbia in 1997, and more than half the states already had such a law at that time.

JoeHall
12-29-2012, 09:52 AM
That is now true in MOST states and provinces. The laws vary considerably as to the duplication of currently valid plate numbers, years of applicability, requirements for matched pairs if appropriate, original paint, etc. I wrote the YOM law for the District of Columbia in 1997, and more than half the states already had such a law at that time.
Soo, if Kentucky has the YOM law, I could run 1956 Kentucky plates on the 56J? Sounds like I need to find out. Then, next problem would be finding a set of1956 KY plates. Obviously, California has the YOM law, or at least they did till 2000, when I left there. It sure was nice being able to run YOM plates there on the 56J, and I'd love to be able to do so in KY. I have a street fodder friend who is very familiar with Kentucky DMV laws, guess I'll ask him.

Skip Lackie
12-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Soo, if Kentucky has the YOM law, I could run 1956 Kentucky plates on the 56J? Sounds like I need to find out. Then, next problem would be finding a set of1956 KY plates. Obviously, California has the YOM law, or at least they did till 2000, when I left there. It sure was nice being able to run YOM plates there on the 56J, and I'd love to be able to do so in KY. I have a street fodder friend who is very familiar with Kentucky DMV laws, guess I'll ask him.

Yes, if Ky has a YOM law. Ky has had single plates since the 1940s, so you only have to obtain one plate. They come up on ebay pretty frequently, and probably at some car show flea markets, too.

kirkdob
12-29-2012, 07:29 PM
I had some great repro plates made by www.licenseplates.tv two years ago. When one got damaged, I saw that CA was no longer available from them. I called, they told me the state Attorney General threatened them with legal action if they continued making CA plates. You can see in my picture below I use the orange with black letter plates issued in 1956. For anyone outside CA, these plates are really good quality. You tell them the numbers you want stamped on them. I used my current letters/numbers on the vintage color plates.

JoeHall
12-29-2012, 09:59 PM
I had some great repro plates made by www.licenseplates.tv two years ago. When one got damaged, I saw that CA was no longer available from them. I called, they told me the state Attorney General threatened them with legal action if they continued making CA plates. You can see in my picture below I use the orange with black letter plates issued in 1956. For anyone outside CA, these plates are really good quality. You tell them the numbers you want stamped on them. I used my current letters/numbers on the vintage color plates.

Kirk, yours are exactly the same as the 1956 plates I ran on the 56J when living in Cali. I still have them out in the garage somewhere, but doubt I'll ever have opportunity to use them again, but never say never...
Back then, someone clued me that the numbering system indicated passenger vehicle, commercial vehicle, farm vehicle, etc. For example, mine are 'RPG-350', which is for passenger vehicles; some other plates only had numbers, for example. Many of the ones turning up at swap meets in California back then (1980s-1990s) were for other than passenger vehicles, and most buyers didn't know the difference. But I bet DMV did, and doubt they would let a person put classic plates on a classic car, that were originally authorized for a commercial vehicle.
Those are really kewl plates though !

SN-60
12-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Ditto in Massachusetts...I'm running a really nice set of '55 plates on My President Speedster!

Skip Lackie
12-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Kirk, yours are exactly the same as the 1956 plates I ran on the 56J when living in Cali. I still have them out in the garage somewhere, but doubt I'll ever have opportunity to use them again, but never say never...
Back then, someone clued me that the numbering system indicated passenger vehicle, commercial vehicle, farm vehicle, etc. For example, mine are 'RPG-350', which is for passenger vehicles; some other plates only had numbers, for example. Many of the ones turning up at swap meets in California back then (1980s-1990s) were for other than passenger vehicles, and most buyers didn't know the difference. But I bet DMV did, and doubt they would let a person put classic plates on a classic car, that were originally authorized for a commercial vehicle.
Those are really kewl plates though !
Since 1956, Calif has had a very simple license-plate numbering system. Passenger plates have three letters (ABC123, 123ABC, 1ABC234), Trucks a single letter (A12345, 12345A, 1A23456), Trailers two letters (AB1234, 1AB2345). The system gets more complicated when special series for limos, apportioned trucks and trailers, etc, get included, but these plates are usually easy to identify anyway.

BTW, I have a couple of nice Calif plates for sale. 56/61/62 pair #WBC833 (VG), and 56/57 single plate (not eligible for YOM) #DMJ772 (Excellent, but sticker only good condition).

Aussie Hawk
12-30-2012, 02:30 PM
We have personalise plates in my state, at around $300!

http://www.ppq.com.au/?gclid=CPn8hf77wrQCFXBIpgod4zoAyw

Bob Caser
12-30-2012, 03:14 PM
This is a wishful project for the State of California, they are looking for 7,500 applicants by Jan, 2015 to enact this program. I do SB100 registration for Cobra replicas, etc. Four years ago the 500 available SB100 applications would be gone in one day, the last four years have not used the 500 applications available for the complete year. I did a car last week and the application number was 385. The economy has hurt even this end of the hobby.

I have attached a photo of a 1963 black and yellow plate from a car that19798 I own, it has been on the car since new and has the original selling dealer license plate frame. It took me thirty years to find the frame.