Studebaker Motor Company redux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Motor Company redux?

So, I am somewhat aware of the Mike Kelly Studebaker SUVs and that fiasco, but as I did a search for the forum url I saw yet another Studebaker Motor Company, with another vehicle pictured.

What is the story with Ric Reed's use of the Studebaker name?

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    So, I am somewhat aware of the Mike Kelly Studebaker SUVs and that fiasco, but as I did a search for the forum url I saw yet another Studebaker Motor Company, with another vehicle pictured.

Studebaker let the rights to the name go decades ago so Reed set up a company. As far as I'm concerned he's just a dreamer.
    Stu Chapman

Comment

We have several posts all about his crazy exploits, but I had no luck searching the Co. name here.
      I could not find a way to do a Search for an EXACT 3 word Title. It always goes for "Studebaker" producing thousands of results.

This guy has advertised everything from proposed Hawks and Larks, to Motorcycles, even rebadged Chinese micro cars!

I think about all he has ever sold is a few Motorcycle parts on eBay supposidly made by Studebaker Motor Co.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It sounds like a similar path that the Indian motorcycle name has traveled since they went bankrupt.

Comment

That should read Studebaker SUV (singular)... There only was .75 of the one ever made...

Originally posted by LeoH View Post

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            That should read Studebaker SUV (singular)... There only was .75 of the one ever made...
            I disagree with this. My position is partly based on a picture of one of the tractor-trailer loads of vehicles going from Georgia to Mexico. One trailer had one complete appearing XUV and one unfinished XUV on it.
            Last edited by studegary; 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM. Reason: S to X
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In the spirit of jackalopes, but for real, I do remember actually seeing the Studebaker SUV driving on northbound 395 north of Reno a few years ago. It stuck in my head because of what I'd seen and because I'd read some story about the SUV a few months prior and couldn't believe I was actually seeing something like that in the flesh.

Comment

Not to be argumentative, but it was the Studebaker XUV, not SUV. It was built on a Ford SuperDuty truck chassis.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  Not to be argumentative, but it was the Studebaker XUV, not SUV. It was built on a Ford SuperDuty truck chassis.
                  Of course you are correct. I know better, but carried the mistake along. I will correct my previous post in case someone does not read everything.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, there were 2 XUV's. both the completed and partial vehicles were in Cancun during the October 06 grand opening event iirc. The completed one was in the museum portion of the show room - and had a finished interior with studebaker embroidery on the seats.
                    1951 Custom
                    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                    1962 Champ
                    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                    1963 Avanti R1
                    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                    2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Ric Reed came to South Bend this past summer and tour the museum and "looked at possible sites to built a South Bend plant." I believe he also stopped by the Chippewa Plant to check out SI. Since then, not a word of it has been on the news. I wish the guy the best and good luck, but I don't think it will ever actually happen. To start an automotive company, and be successful above all, like the one he describes is virtually impossible in todays world.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

May I step in and say the proper name for this vehicle was Avanti Studebaker XUV. Yes it was.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by jgrohs View Post
                          Yes, there were 2 XUV's. both the completed and partial vehicles were in Cancun during the October 06 grand opening event iirc. The completed one was in the museum portion of the show room - and had a finished interior with studebaker embroidery on the seats.
                          The first Avanti Studebaker XUV was shown for the first time at the 2004 Chicago Auto Show, and was painted a bright orange. The second XUV was on display at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show and was silver. Both were based on a Ford F-350 truck.
                          Lew Schucart
                          Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Do they still exist?
                            John Clements
                            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I work for a company that decommissions old factories, especially old auto factories. About 2 years ago when GM reorganized they closed a bunch of plants. One was the Pontiac East plant on Opydike Road near Bloomfield Hills, MI. The plant was about 4M sf, and assemblied pick up trucks. When they closed it GM locked the doors and walked away from it, all the equipment was left in place at the plant, including a 750,000 sf paint shop. The plant was built in the early 70's. The plant was so complete that somebody could have turned the lights on and started to make trucks again the same day. It is my understanding that Mr. Reed toured the plant, and told the agents that he was appling for a government loan, and his plan was to buy it and make Studebakers again. Last year the plant was sold for $12M and scraped. If indeed there ever was a chance to bring Studebaker back this plant was perfect, it was turn key, it was a frame up facility so a new Studebaker pick up could have been "job one"

Comment

Working...
                              X