Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A True or False Statement???

True or False???

Studebaker Corporation stopped "MANUFACTURING" automobiles in 1963 when they shut-down operations in South Bend, IN, USA, but continued "ASSEMBLING" automobiles in their Hamilton, ON, Canada plant until 1966.

(emphasis on a difference between "MANUFACTURING" and "ASSEMBLING")
    Last edited by Welcome; 12-26-2012, 05:15 AM.

False. The typical "Manufacturing" definition includes "Assembling". It is difficult to draw a line. Most Manufacturers today rely on subcomponents made at other suppliers factories, so I guess you could say that these Manufacturers are just Assembling.

It is true that some of the stampings such as trunk lids came from SB. There were also Canadian-sourced parts: For example, the luxury interiors in the 1966s. If sales were higher, I am certain that there would be more Canadian made manufactured parts. SB also purchased parts from outside suppliers, so they were not totally self sufficient either.

Comment

I agree with the above. Complicating the picture, though, is the fact that Studebaker continued to make and ship CKD (Completely Knocked Down) units in the South Bend plant from the latter part of January, 1964, to well into February, 1964. They were shipped to Uitenhage, South Africa, and over 300 of these were made. At least two different models were made in this grouping: Y3 (Heavy Duty 4-door Sedan) and Y8 (Daytona 4-door Sedan). Typically, they had the 259 V8 with either 3-speed or overdrive transmission.

George
      george krem

Comment

The '64, '65 and '66 "Canadian Assembled" cars did have some Canadian produced (Supplier parts) just like South Bend did with US Manufactured parts.
        Like for instance the Electrical System Parts are all from Prestolite of Canada Ltd. The Dash Pads, also 'some' of the Hub Caps used and Wheel Covers depending on the build date.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry Jim, it looks like we sort of shot this attempt at a Trivia Question down before it got off the ground.

I think the general understanding of "Manufacturing" is; producing a product. But if you took the literal meaning of the word, then you would have to actually "make" at least some of the pieces.

So I guess your answer would be "TRUE".
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-27-2012, 12:12 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Sorry Jim, it looks like we sort of shot this attempt at a Trivia Question down before it got off the ground.<<<
            To: StudeRich, ---- CORRECT ANSWER!!! NOT smart enough to come up with a "TRIVA"ANDhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...400#post704400

Comment

Working...
            X