PDA

View Full Version : Gary Ash...

Swifster
12-25-2012, 07:47 PM
So in the years since you restored the truck, how many miles have you put on it? Is it still just used for show or do you drive it on a semi-regular basis. Just curious. I love the truck...

DEEPNHOCK
12-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I remember the first 20 miles Gary put on his M was from the host hotel to the drag strip at the Charlotte IM....
Then the next mile was four passes down the drag strip.
That mile took a half hour, if I recall..:rolleyes::!:
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

Swifster
12-25-2012, 08:05 PM
35 seconds per quarter mile? :-)

garyash
12-27-2012, 11:05 AM
We drive the truck around New England for shows and for rides with the grandchildren, weekends trips to the store, etc. I've put about 4500 miles on it since it got on the road in 2004. I guess that isn't many miles per year. We've been up to York, Maine and west to the Pittsfield, Mass. areas, probably 300 miles round trip. Generally, it's been pretty reliable - especially once I took out the Pertronix 6 volt unit and went back to points.

I believe that my quarter-mile time was just under 25 seconds and about 48 mph. The overdrive allows us to cruise at 60-65 mph on the flathead 6, once we have enough road to build up the speed. I had it well over 70 mph one day, but the steering and suspension are so busy that it isn't comfortable at that speed. Even at 70 mph, the engine is only turning 2600 rpm and it will still climb gentle hills without slowing down. I'm sure that ditching the 6.50-16 10-ply rated bias ply tires would greatly improve the ride at highway speed, but we're not usually in a hurry when we're driving the M5.

I'll take it out in winter as long as there isn't salt on the roads, but that usually means that mid-December to early April that it lives in it's heated (45F) garage. We are having enough rain today to wash away the little salt that went down last week, so it might yet get another ride this winter! Here's a shot at the New Bedford zoo this past summer.

Swifster
12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks Gary. Always wondered what kind of use it got after it was restored.

doublepaddle
12-28-2012, 10:10 AM
I visited Gary and his vehicles last June and I can say first hand that the truck is very,very nice. Great work restoring it and Gary and his wife were a joy to visit with. Even my wife who could care less about old vehicles enjoyed the visit. The city of New Bedford has never had great roads but he is in the country and has nice roads to cruise on. Having lived in that area for 50 years I would agree with him about not using the salted roads in the winter months. They salt heavy and often in snow season. I do not need to worry about that now here in Florida.

Swifster
12-28-2012, 09:12 PM
I love the truck and a liked Gary's thread on building it. Especially connecting the battery and having the Red Sox game on the radio.

rodnutrandy
12-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Gary also was in the build of my M , even thou he has never seen it or me. Without his help., the truck would not have turned out like it did, not that its origional, but at least is pointed that way thanks to Gary sending drawings and answering dumb questions I asked, actually a lot of help came from many people on the Studebaker truck talk and drivers club forum ,thanks to all!!!