PDA

View Full Version : Jan. 2013 Turning Wheels Mystery Man ID'd

BobPalma
12-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Eagle-eyed Bill Pressler speculated that the unidentified Mystery Man on Page 15 of the January 2013 Turning Wheels is then Studebaker Corporation Chairman of the Board Clarence Francis. :)

I believe Bill nailed it. Take a look, from the 1962 Studebaker Corporation Annual Report, Page 2:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/francisegbertstude1962_zps1547bbe7.jpg

Good goin,' Bill. :!: BP

HAWK64
12-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Bob,I checked my '62 Annual Report & there was Clarence Francis on page 2. On the front cover is pecilled $1.50 which I believe I payed to Carl Thompson of South Bend back in the seventies. I guess a bid on Ebay today would command a somewhat higher price.

BobPalma
12-25-2012, 05:09 AM
Bob,I checked my '62 Annual Report & there was Clarence Francis on page 2. On the front cover is pecilled $1.50 which I believe I payed to Carl Thompson of South Bend back in the seventies. I guess a bid on Ebay today would command a somewhat higher price.

Indeed, James; it probably would. The on-line inflation calculator only goes to 2011, but says $1.50 in 1975 would be worth $6.18 in 2011, so don't sell your copy too cheap!

The copy from which the above was made, was mailed directly to me in 1963 at age 17. My parents had gifted me a couple shares of Studebaker-Packard Corporation around then, so I was receiving the Annual Reports. I'm not sure when we sold those shares; probably some time after Studebaker ceased automobile production and I had little interest in the corporation's "bones," so to speak. :eek: BP

Bill Pressler
12-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Bob, if Andy ever needs an assistant out there, I'm on it! (Kind of a long commute, though!).

I emailed him to let him know that's who I believed it was. Glad you confirmed it.

BTW, great read on the PSMCD's, as usual, Bob!!

BobPalma
12-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Bob, if Andy ever needs an assistant out there, I'm on it! (Kind of a long commute, though!).

I emailed him to let him know that's who I believed it was. Glad you confirmed it.

BTW, great read on the PSMCD's, as usual, Bob!!

Thanks, Bill; 'glad you enjoyed it.

Good score on Clarence Francis, too, but I think if you were Andy Beckman's assistant, they'd be hard-pressed to get you to take off your green sun-visor and leave for the evening. ;) :!: BP

Deaf Mute
12-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Santa hasn't delivered my January issue yet...
If the post office still used ZIP VANS, I would have had mine weeks ago!

studegary
12-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I am usually one of the first on the Forum to receive TW. I haven't received the Jan. issue. When was it mailed?

Bill Pressler
12-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Bill; 'glad you enjoyed it.

Good score on Clarence Francis, too, but I think if you were Andy Beckman's assistant, they'd be hard-pressed to get you to take off your green sun-visor and leave for the evening. ;) :!: BP

True, Bob. My next 'time is no limit' project there would be looking through the '60-63 retail buyer cards that are filed by serial no. (as opposed to filed by month, by dealer, from Sept. '63 to the end, which I've already perused closely) for Studebakers delivered in and around Greenville, PA and to whom...fantasizing about a 'barn find' today. (Hey, there's barns around Kent, OH where I live too, just not nearly as many as around Greenville where I grew up! ;))

LarkTruck
12-25-2012, 04:56 PM
I am usually one of the first on the Forum to receive TW. I haven't received the Jan. issue. When was it mailed?

My co-worker, Debbie (our household mail carrier), delivered mine on Friday 12/21 (last day of the world, first freakin day of winter) here in Lancaster County Pa.
Jim

Corvanti
12-25-2012, 05:31 PM
My co-worker, Debbie (our household mail carrier), delivered mine on Friday 12/21 (last day of the world, first freakin day of winter) here in Lancaster County Pa.
Jim

i also rec'd my January TW on Friday/21st. :)

i did NOT receive the December issue! :(