PDA

View Full Version : 1964 Cruiser wanton destruction

Scott
12-24-2012, 01:54 PM
This car is being parted out. I feel sick.

http://yubasutter.craigslist.org/pts/3436804628.html

8E45E
12-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Its a rolling beehive!! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?66904-Sure-glad-I-waited-until-November&highlight=wasps

Craig

52hawk
12-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah,the biggest wasps nests I've ever seen!

r1lark
12-24-2012, 02:41 PM
"Selling mostly body parts, no engine, rear end or suspension."

It will donate its organs to help another Studebaker live!

(Around here, we use those fiberglass Studebakers for engine donors.........no one wants them since they are so expensive to restore. :D)

Roscomacaw
12-24-2012, 03:10 PM
I knew we'd seen that here before.

1962larksedan
12-24-2012, 05:45 PM
"Selling mostly body parts, no engine, rear end or suspension."

It will donate its organs to help another Studebaker live!

(Around here, we use those fiberglass Studebakers for engine donors.........no one wants them since they are so expensive to restore. :D)

And in places like Illinois, Michigan, New York, etc: such a gutted out Calif cherry Stude; even a 4 door, will likely be fitted with replacement entrails as a 'rebody' of an existing same or similar year rust bucket.

Mike Sal
12-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Agree that it's sickening to see such a nice car being parted out. I sure wish it wasn't so far away.....I sure could use that body shell, but shipping to Illinois wouldn't be too cheap.
Mike Sal

mbstude
12-24-2012, 07:18 PM
You can't win on this forum. Chevy powered Studes get comments such as, "That car needs a Stude engine." And here Pat bought a parts car to scavenge a compete Stude drivetrain from for his '54 wagon hot rod, yet he's getting flack for parting out such a wonderful old four door sedan. Should he have instead bought a nice running rust bucket from the east coast and shipped it out to California? I could see an issue if the car was an R2 Hawk. It's a '64 four door, probably one of the most common Studes out there.

Nobody said too much when the forum was enamored with pictures of Bob Peterson's yard full of rust free Studes being torched up and tossed into dumpsters. I remember emailing Bob about a Lark trunk lid, and he replied that it wasn't worth the hassle; he'd rather scrap it.

I think Pat should be a little more respected for putting it out there in an attempt to find a home for the stuff, while at the same time reading comments like these and dealing with CASO's. Not to mention, going out of his way to put a Stude powerplant in his hot rod.

You guys that get upset about it being parted out, there are a lot of other rust free Studes on the west coast. Better go save them all now!

Corvanti
12-24-2012, 07:53 PM
it's sad that Pat is getting "ragged on" in this thread to restore a '54 Conestoga. i can't wait to see build pics!

i hope it's ok to show what he wrote in a thread already mentioned by Craig:

"That is correct, my '54 Conestoga will benefit from the Cruiser's 289 4 barrel engine, Dana 44 twin traction, entire front suspension, 11 inch finned drum brakes and other items that I may find useful. The remainder of the car will enable other similar vehicles live on. Pat"

it would be interesting to record how many Studes will benefit from this parting out. it'd certainly be easier for him to take what he needs and send the rest to "China"...

it's Christmas, so i'll end my "rant" now, without getting into: where are most low rust vehicles found? and how many of us have said: "wrong coast", or "only if it was closer"... ok, now i'm done. ;)

8E45E
12-24-2012, 08:13 PM
I think someone stirred up a hornets' nest here!!

Craig

sweetolbob
12-24-2012, 08:22 PM
You can't win on this forum. Chevy powered Studes get comments such as, "That car needs a Stude engine." And here Pat bought a parts car to scavenge a compete Stude drivetrain from for his '54 wagon hot rod, yet he's getting flack for parting out such a wonderful old four door sedan. Should he have instead bought a nice running rust bucket from the east coast and shipped it out to California? I could see an issue if the car was an R2 Hawk. It's a '64 four door, probably one of the most common Studes out there.

Nobody said too much when the forum was enamored with pictures of Bob Peterson's yard full of rust free Studes being torched up and tossed into dumpsters. I remember emailing Bob about a Lark trunk lid, and he replied that it wasn't worth the hassle; he'd rather scrap it.

I think Pat should be a little more respected for putting it out there in an attempt to find a home for the stuff, while at the same time reading comments like these and dealing with CASO's. Not to mention, going out of his way to put a Stude powerplant in his hot rod.

You guys that get upset about it being parted out, there are a lot of other rust free Studes on the west coast. Better go save them all now!

Well stated Matt.

As you are finding out as you journey toward the "Golden Years" that you can't make everybody happy. So do as Pat did, make your best decision, be comfortable with the results and disregard the naysayers.

Life's to short to worry about the minor inconveniences. Be yourself and forge on. Pat probably saved a couple of others along with the Conestoga. So good for him.

Bob

Scott
12-24-2012, 08:22 PM
With all due respect, these old cars do not grow on trees, and to part one out that would take so little to restore and use is just simply vandalism. You can try and justify it all you want, but it won't make it any less than what it is. There are TONS of Studebaker engines that are not installed in a car that could be used for projects. The interior on that car was better than several I've had in cars that were put to good use. I won't apologize for taking a stand against vandalism.

crusinsusin
12-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm one who has benefited from Pat parting out his car, as I now have the glovebox vanity that is missing from my Cruiser, at a very fair price. If he needs the engine & drivetrain to get a '54 Conestoga back on the road, who can blame him?

sweetolbob
12-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Certainly it is a noble thought to save them all but reality rears it's ugly head.

Let's take the example of Bob Peterson, I don't know him other than the forum and a short conversation at the SB International. But just seeing what he had done to salvage innumerable Studebakers and the frustration I see in his posts on trying to find homes for them or their parts before the inevitable trip to China is illustrative of the situation. He's fought battles with landlords and zoning agencies to save what he can but they continue to leave due to lack of market, interest, type or other issues.

So unless there is a happy hunting ground in a dry arid place that will pay to transport and receive all the Stude refugees, we'll all just need to get used to seeing some that will donate quality parts to keep others in the herd alive.

It may not be what we want but reality is just that, Reality. So I for one don't plan to make other members feel bad about doing what they think is best. If we continue to do that, why would anyone post about parts availability and take the flack. They'll just take what they need and scrap the rest.

So let's lighten up on them. I'm with corvanti, my Xmas rant is over so now Judy and I can enjoy the bottle of Pinot Noir that I just open when we got back from church.

Merry and Happy, Bob

Pat Dilling
12-24-2012, 11:09 PM
That's my car. First, I want to thank you for helping me advertise the parts I have for sale. The complete car, along with several others, was advertised for sale right here on this forum. The owner had it sitting in his back yard for more than 15 years, until the code enforcement people told him it was time to clean up. He had very little time to get it done. I saw an opportunity to equip my '54 Conestoga project with much of what I wanted for a small investment and jumped at the chance. I feel fortunate to be the one who acted quickest. Thanks to this car, my Conestoga will have a nice 289, V8 suspension, 11 inch drum brakes and a twin track Dana 44. And other folks with similar cars will benefit from the parts I don't need. So far at least 9 cars have been improved. Cruisin' Susan has the long distance award I think. Oh wait, Brian from Australia is getting the trunk lid. But I also shipped the driver door to New Jersey via Greyhound bus. Do you think a straight, rust free door with glass, regulator and latch included for less than $200 shipped is a good value? I have lots of good sheet metal left and will make every effort to get it to those in need of it. For those who are thinking, "wish it was closer," the shipping is really not that expensive.

Thanks to those who offered support, I appreciate it. I am very happy to actually be working on my Conestoga project now and will keep you all posted. Merry Christmas to all. :-)

Scott
12-24-2012, 11:14 PM
There are even better parts on the cars in the Studebaker National Museum. Nice quality.

SILENTBOB
12-25-2012, 01:12 AM
That's my car. First, I want to thank you for helping me advertise the parts I have for sale. The complete car, along with several others, was advertised for sale right here on this forum. The owner had it sitting in his back yard for more than 15 years, until the code enforcement people told him it was time to clean up. He had very little time to get it done. I saw an opportunity to equip my '54 Conestoga project with much of what I wanted for a small investment and jumped at the chance. I feel fortunate to be the one who acted quickest. Thanks to this car, my Conestoga will have a nice 289, V8 suspension, 11 inch drum brakes and a twin track Dana 44. And other folks with similar cars will benefit from the parts I don't need. So far at least 9 cars have been improved. Cruisin' Susan has the long distance award I think. Oh wait, Brian from Australia is getting the trunk lid. But I also shipped the driver door to New Jersey via Greyhound bus. Do you think a straight, rust free door with glass, regulator and latch included for less than $200 shipped is a good value? I have lots of good sheet metal left and will make every effort to get it to those in need of it. For those who are thinking, "wish it was closer," the shipping is really not that expensive.

Thanks to those who offered support, I appreciate it. I am very happy to actually be working on my Conestoga project now and will keep you all posted. Merry Christmas to all. :-)

Sent you a private message regarding parts from the car.

Thanks

KenS
12-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Pat & I talked a couple of weeks ago about cutting out the cowl for my 2 door. To Pat's credit he wanted to wait until he had a chance to offer it for sale to someone who needed a good 4 door shell.
You have my respect Pat!

8E45E
12-25-2012, 09:25 AM
There are TONS of Studebaker engines that are not installed in a car that could be used for projects.

That's a good point! What did happen to all those 259's and 289's that got replaced with a SBC engine??

Craig

junior
12-25-2012, 09:38 AM
That's a good point! What did happen to all those 259's and 289's that got replaced with a SBC engine??

Craig

well..mine was sold to another studebaker owner who was going to install it in his car. Merry Christmas, Junior

8E45E
12-25-2012, 09:51 AM
well..mine was sold to another studebaker owner who was going to instll it in his car. Merry Christmas, Junior

Wouldn't yours have been a 232?

Craig

BobPalma
12-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Scott: I'm not sure wanton destruction is good wording for the topic's title, and maybe got some folks unnecessarily upset.

Perhaps, "1964 Cruiser: Couldn't this be Saved Intact?" might better reflect the message you want to convey.

(If you want to define wanton destruction, hang on a couple weeks for the March 2013 Hemmings Classic Car to be in subscriber mailboxes in the middle of January....then read my column therein! :mad:)

;):cool:BP

1962larksedan
12-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Craig

The 259 from my 1962 Lark went to a guy with a 1955 Commander missing its V8. I'm coming to the conclusion that OK to well running Stude Eights are not that common these days and they get snapped up rather quickly.

1962larksedan
12-25-2012, 11:26 AM

Don't be surprised that someone may want your complete floor pan assuming it's not rusted out. :)

You should be able to pick up a couple of dollars for the rear doors since they're the 'Cruiser' ones with vent windows and they'll fit regular 1964-66 Stude sedans.

Pat Dilling
12-25-2012, 11:40 AM
The floors have some surface rust, but still quite solid, same for the trunk. That's good info to know about the doors, I'll be happy to wrap and ship them. Come late spring, if someone has not claimed the body shell, I will start thinking about cutting it to provide the pieces people want to improve theirs.

Thanks!

r1lark
12-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Not every car will find someone to 'save' it. These days, the restoration cost for a car like that could easily exceed its completed value. How many similar cars have we seen offered on this forum that do not sell? (Sometimes a much more economical path is to purchase a completly restored car......I wish I followed my own advice. :))

But, a car can donate parts to keep others Studebakers on the road. Pat is making use of much of this car, and then offering the remainder of the usable parts to others. I applaude him for this! People like Pat, Bob Peterson, Roy Valdez, etc are doing a service to other Studebaker owners by making parts available.

And for the Studebaker 'purists' here, using the guts of this car in his Conestoga will keep it all Studebaker -- doesn't he get a few points from y'all for that?? Using a later model Studebaker with good drivetrain is a great way to upgrade an older model car. I've done this myself, and will do it again.

Bottom line, this is Pat's car, and he should be able to utilize it as he wishes without being dragged thru the mud on this forum.

Studedude
12-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I won't apologize for taking a stand against vandalism.
If you have ever, during the process of restoring or keeping your car on the road, used one single used part from another car, then you have, as you put it, contributed to the act of vandalism of another car.

JRoberts
12-25-2012, 12:58 PM
How many times do we have to go through this? The same argument over and over does none of us any good. I think we know where most on this forum stand when it comes to this issue. Leave it alone -- please!

57pack
12-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks to Pat, I was able to find many missing parts for my 65 Wagonaire.
Thank you Pat,
Bill

jimmijim8
12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
What the fella is referring to is his angst in not being in the right locale at the right time to have a perfectly good Stude dumped in his lap for cheap. Hang in there dude. You may get your turn. I do get your meaning about the squander. Look at this way. Guy gets a great drive train plus makes a few bucks. Still not enough points to lead to Studebaker Sainthood.

Sdude
12-25-2012, 05:44 PM
If I recollect correctly, Pat initially hoped to find someone that would take the whole car as it was way too nice to just part out. In the absence of finding that person, he did the next best thing and made the parts available. Quite a hassle but well worth it to save other's cars.

Thanks to those who recognized Pat's efforts and gave him a "Pat" on the back. Pat's a great guy and the kind of member this club needs if it's going to survive.

I personally am proud to call Pat a friend.

Merry Christmas

Roscomacaw
12-25-2012, 06:44 PM
If you have ever, during the process of restoring or keeping your car on the road, used one single used part from another car, then you have, as you put it, contributed to the act of vandalism of another car.

I think there might be wiggle room on a technicallity, Dave. Let's say someone buys an NOS part, but you're happy to acquire and install the USED part that the NOS piece replaced.

candbstudebakers
12-25-2012, 06:54 PM
I know Pat and feel the same way as Jon does, also a lot of the others that have posted on this subject feel the same, as for me It was fun at one time collecting and being the person with a lot of Studebakers, I guess because I had a 22,000 Sq. ft. lot it made it easier to collect them also when people know that you can save them they come a little easier but then one needs to move on and keep them moving to others in way of a whole car or parts for theirs and over the years a lot of parts did make it to new owners with hope and dreams of their own. but as I have said when people ask me why did Studebaker go out of business all I say is all good things come to an end, as far as people needing V-8 engines I do have a few and lots of used engine parts but a lot have gone on to the happy hunting grounds as one can not save every thing for ever.

here is a few pictures of what I still have .

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/SAM_0220.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/SAM_0221.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/SAM_0214.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/SAM_0203.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/SAM_0218.jpg

junior
12-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Wouldn't yours have been a 232?

Craig

the car was originally a Champion, but my Dad swapped the 170 for a Stude v-8 in the early 60`s...pretty sure it was a 259 2bbl...know for sure it wasn`t a 289. Will ask him later. Regards, Junior.

Studedude
12-25-2012, 08:23 PM
I think there might be wiggle room on a technicallity, Dave. Let's say someone buys an NOS part, but you're happy to acquire and install the USED part that the NOS piece replaced.
Ya got me there! <G>

stude1964
12-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Pat-Good luck w/getting rid of your Cruiser parts. Being on the East Coast I've never had the luxury of owning too many rot-free Studes. I can say that my Dad & I parted over 30 cars & trucks. They were all rotted or hit. Many others benefitted from their sacrifice. I'm still tripping over parts I can't use but just couldn't see recycling.Anyone need a rear end & brakes(front hubs too) for a Champ 3/4 ton ?
Rob in PA.

plwindish
12-29-2012, 11:06 PM
A huge thank you to Pat and every other Stude lover out in forum land that make Stude parts available to the masses to complete their Studes and keep them on the road. Its a credit to these guys that we have so many Studes still running today. Some of the CASO purists take issue with other than Stude powerplants in the cars today. Don't blame the car owners, hell, Studebaker started that trend in 1965 when they decided not to continue to make engines.

qsanford
12-29-2012, 11:23 PM
A huge thank you to Pat and every other Stude lover out in forum land that make Stude parts available to the masses to complete their Studes and keep them on the road. Its a credit to these guys that we have so many Studes still running today. Some of the CASO purists take issue with other than Stude powerplants in the cars today. Don't blame the car owners, hell, Studebaker started that trend in 1965 when they decided not to continue to make engines.

CASO Purists?

sweetolbob
12-30-2012, 10:08 AM
CASO Purists?

Makes perfect sense, only uses original Studebaker parts and doesn't want to pay much for 'em. ;)

Bob

Flashback
12-30-2012, 10:50 AM
As I have stated before, my Dad startred a salvage yard in 1947. So all this is just natural to me. I ran it after my Dad. I Closed in 97 and finished cleaning up around 2004. I have bought nice good running vehicles and salvaged them. They were worth more to part out than whole. Just a fact of life.

bob40
12-30-2012, 12:43 PM
With all due respect, these old cars do not grow on trees, and to part one out that would take so little to restore and use is just simply vandalism. You can try and justify it all you want, but it won't make it any less than what it is. There are TONS of Studebaker engines that are not installed in a car that could be used for projects. The interior on that car was better than several I've had in cars that were put to good use. I won't apologize for taking a stand against vandalism.
Then buy the SOB.I get sick of hearing all the whining but few step up to the plate.I dont want to hear about the economy or lack of a job or ANY excuses.How many have you saved?

Scott
12-30-2012, 01:18 PM
I've saved 4 that would have gone to the crusher. I've owned 6 or 7 Studebakers. That means well more than 50% of the Studebakers I've owned and driven would have been destroyed without my intervention. If you even come CLOSE to that ratio BOB40, then you can be all high and mighty. My guess is you talk a lot.

showbizkid
12-30-2012, 02:30 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/clarknovak/timeout.jpg

Aaaaaand we're done here.