This One Should Start A Lively Conversation..Running Car For A Few Minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This One Should Start A Lively Conversation..Running Car For A Few Minutes

I know the theory that starting these old birds in the winter for 10 minutes in the driveway and just moving them around is BAD. They build up condensation in the exhaust and possibly in the motor.

I, however, still do it. I just believe that letting the car sit from December to April cannot be better than running it, moving it slightly, and hopefully keeping Mr. Mouse away by activity and odors of human existance.

Go ahead bash me...I'm up for it. Or if you agree... WHY?

'Nothing wrong with the periodic activity, but not for 10 minutes.

Just let 'em run on fast idle or the equivalent for at least 30 minutes befoe shutting down. Ten minutes will leave damaging condensation in both the engine and exhaust system. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I agree. I think it's a good thing to get some exercize now and then. More would be better,but some is better than none. At least get some oil splashed up and around stuff that needs oil. Condensation cah also build up in a dormant engine.

I rode my motorcycle about 25 miles today just to loosen it up and run some gas out before I put it away for the winter.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

I agree with Bob 100%, it is never good, especially in Winter to quickly move a Car or run it less time than it takes for the Thermostat to open, circulate the coolant and warm up.

You may get away with this with little harm in Climates that do not get below 50+ F degrees, but still not the best idea.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

""I, however, still do it. I just believe that letting the car sit from December to April cannot be better than running it, moving it slightly, and hopefully keeping Mr. Mouse away by activity and odors of human existance.""

All -

Despite the fact that he knows this is bad deal, he does it anyway...why respond to this ?

Mike

Comment

To: Mike Van Veghten,------Because We've all done this and just wont admit it!.......jg61hawk is at least 'up front' about it.

Comment

totally agree with BP & StudeRich. also believe that after reaching "operating temperature", she needs to move around, if at all possible, for the tires, brakes, trans/rear end, etc. to get a little workout. if your climate/storage does not allow it, may be best to wait til spring.

re: "Mr. Mouse", i don't think human activity or odor is going to slow him down. frequent visitations to the area by "Mr. Cat" should put a halt to any condo-building mice.
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I just find a reason to get in and drive mine every couple of weeks. Prefer not to drive it if it's pouring rain, but a little snow is OK. I usually try to keep 100LL avgas or non-E through the winter.

Comment

Despite the fact that he knows this is bad deal, he does it anyway...why respond to this ?

Mike

Respond because this is a fun club and I am trying to keep the board alive much like old SN-60 who noticed things are a little slow. So to that end I'll say this.... I like to run the old girl low on oil just to see if she loves me and can hold together....you know just to show her love. I figure if the motor blows she didn't really love me!!!!!!

Comment

Unless a person lives in Alaska, WHY would it be necessary to park a Stude from December till April? When salt is on the road, it makes sense to keep the Stude in the garage. But salt is not on the road day on-stay on, except MAYBE January and February, at least here in Kentucky. Seems like too many folks look for excuses not to drive them. In the summer it is too hot, in the winter it is too cold, spring brings rain showers, etc..

Comment

I agree, or do I agree, to disagree?? Whatever. I start and run, and drive, almost every day. EXCEPT--when the engine is out. (which has been a lot lately) LOL. The Saturday Night Special has a heater and defroster--THAT WORK-- and windshield wipers-THAT Work-- and I usum. LOL

Comment

I don't know how you could live in a climate where the temperature ever dips below a psychotically cold 45 degrees F. If it gets into the 40s I'm ready to stoke the fire, put on the parka, strap up the snow boots and sleep in a down sleeping bag.
                        I've been spoiled for weather all my life. Raised in So Cal, served in the Marines for 3 years in Hawaii and now settled in No Cal. If I see snow, I break out in hives.
                        sals54

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                          All ->>><<<...why respond to this ? Mike
                          Mike, agree with you in one respect...

...the OP posed a "loaded question" to us quite possibly to see if anyone would catch that important 'detail' he omitted. He only expressed the DURATIONINTERVAL

Comment

Rub it in sals54...........Ha Ha....I envy You!!

Comment

well, i wasn't going to mention it, but after 7 days in the 'cave, i stretched the 51's "legs" a bit on a beach run today.

glad i remembered that a horn honk from others while driving her means a "thumbs-up" back, not a different digit!
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X