PDA

View Full Version : Self Service Legend

geojerry
12-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Did he really have to pump his own gas Back in 1963 at Bonneville ?
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o13/geojerry/430a2c57264a9e79f2f80f1e547d39eb.jpg

t walgamuth
12-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Andy did whatever he wanted. At that moment he wanted to pump gas.;)

Seriously though he came up working on things hands on. In example according to his book mister 500, when he bought his first Indy car, one of the miller built Ford front wheel drive cars, he got on a plane still dressed in greasy mechanics coveralls with $10,000 (or so) in hundred dollar bills stuffed in a pocket, showed up at the place it was, bought it and drove it home to Chicago. (I just looked for my copy of the book, but could not find it so I may have a few details wrong but the main point in this case was the greasy mechanic coveralls.) He and his brothers were hard working creative businessmen.

plwindish
12-23-2012, 08:31 AM
It looks to me like Andy never let a photo op go to waste.

t walgamuth
12-23-2012, 09:41 AM
That would be a true statement!

BobWaitz
12-23-2012, 09:55 AM
I'd be willing to bet he wanted a certain amount in there with no spills -- and there was only one way to guarantee it.

Pat Dilling
12-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Not uncommon for drivers to do their own fueling. Most of the guys who drive top fuel dragsters and funny cars are the ones who mix and make sure the right amount of fuel is in the car.

Chris Pile
12-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I've read Andy's book, "They Call Me Mr. 500" - and he got his hands dirty plenty of times.
My guess is his success lay in hard work, doing it all from the bottom to the top.
People laughed at his over-the-top knack for self-promotion, but he was no fool.

SN-60
12-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Anyone remember seeing on Avantis, back in the late '60's, (when they were being used as regular transportation) a strip of missing lacquer paint under the gas filler resulting from fuel running down the side on overfills?
There were a few around here like that.

Gunslinger
12-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I use one of these gas door guards for a '78 Corvette on my Avanti...it helps prevent paint damage from spilled gas and dings in the paint itself from the gas pump handle...they're available for like $7.00 from Corvette suppliers like Corvette Central, Ecklers and others...

SN-60
12-23-2012, 12:06 PM
To: Gunslinger,-----Nice touch!

studegary
12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Anyone remember seeing on Avantis, back in the late '60's, (when they were being used as regular transportation) a strip of missing lacquer paint under the gas filler resulting from fuel running down the side on overfills?
There were a few around here like that.

Yes, I remember that.
No one was "pumping" anything in that picture.

plwindish
12-23-2012, 02:36 PM
I assumed it was standard equipment, but my 76 Avanti II has a piece of vinyl/leather attached across the bottom of the gas door on the inside, that folds out and protects the paint under the gas door and fender where the gas pump would hit the body under the fill tube. Was it standard? Any other II's have that on their cars?

SN-60
12-23-2012, 07:15 PM
To: plwindish,-----I think that item was 'hit or miss' on certain year Avanti II's....never an option, but never really standard equipment either......good idea though!

SilverHawkDan
12-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Andy did indeed do the fuel filling as it is part of the requirements for setting/establishing a record. The fuel tank is filled and then sealed to ensure that the authorized fuel is used for setting the record. Since Andy was the one on record for setting the new records with AAA he would have been very wise to do if not oversee the fueling. I hardly ever saw Andy not getting dirty in the sixties and seventies. At the shop in Snata Monica if you needed to talk to Andy you went into the shop. He didn't hang out in the office very much.
Dan